Urgent question for Studiologic SL73/88 owners

Reaction score
Hi SL88/73 users

I have a couple of questions which are a bit urgent, since I am considering buying an SL88 for live gigs, and I’ve got a gig coming up soon. I believe my question will apply to the Studio as well as the Grand model (and SL73).

It’s important for me to be able to change the MIDI transmit channel with only one click of a button (or a pedal). If I am transmitting on channel 3, then I want to be able to change to channel 2 or 4 with a single click (button or pedal).

According to the manual it seems that I should be able to change Program with a pedal, and since the Programs apparently inherit a MIDI channel of their own, that would supposedly be the solution. The example from above: A change from P003 to P004 with a single click with the (up-)pedal. I’m planning on using only one Zone.

Can anyone confirm this?

Another concern: Is it possible to be able to see the active MIDI transmit channel on the screen at all times. Some devices turn off a selected parameter after some seconds. But if the SL can have the active Program visible on the screen (and showing the channel), then that would be great.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance

Flemming
Keys in Fall of Episteme

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just guessing here, but in answer to your first question, a program or bank change on a MIDI controller generally has ZERO effect on what channel the signal is being transmitted on. For all intents ans purposes the MIDI channel remains fixed when Bank and Program LSB and MSB are sent.

As to your second question about displays? No idea but you should contact Studiologic directly and ask their pre sales support staff your questions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why you need to change midi channels. You might not need to, but you just think that you do. Explain your setup to us and the reason for the perceived need for multiple MIDI channels. It may be that you are absolutely correct in your assessment; it might also be possible to obtain what you are trying to accomplish without the need for switching channels.

On my Kurzweil PC3 it is possible at the setup level. Within the setup there are 'zones'. Within each zone in the setup I can tell the unit which midi channel to transmit on and which LSB and MSB to connect with on the target instrument. Here is an example of why I would need to have multiple midi channels to send on:

I have a Voce organ module; Voce arranged to have the upper manual on channel 1, lower manual on channel 2. so if I want to play the top manual I would need to transmit my setup on Channel 1; if I want to play the lower manual I would need to create a setup that transmits on channel 2 and if I wanted to split the keyboard upper and lower (above and below Middle C), I would have two zones in the setup, zone 1 would transmit on midi channel 1 for key range C4 to C8 and zone two (in the same setup) would transmit on midi channel 2 for key range C2 to B3. All notes from C4 and above would play the upper manual and all notes below C4 would play the lower manual of the virtual organ. So this is an example where I could have three setups, each time I choose a setup (with the press of one button) the Kurzweil will transmit only on Channel 1 (for scenario 1 above); only on channel 2 (for scenario 2 above) and both channels 1 and 2 for scenario 3 above. This is achieved by simplying choosing the appropriate setup with a single button press. Here is an example of how one of the zones is programmed in the setup (not the organ example, something different, but conceptually the same).

Capture.JPG

Zone 2 (within the same setup) could be transmitting on a different MIDI channel at the same time. The only way to know for sure if this is feasible in the Studiologic world is to RTM (Read The Manual). I think it is possible. See page 11 of the manual; here is the manual Link

See below, page 11 of the manual

Capture1.JPG

So it appears you can setup a program, performance (whatever it is called in Studiologic land) and within the program there are 4 zones
(I circled them) and it appears that for each of the four zones in that program you could assign a different midi channel. Also, you could create different programs with one zone in them and each program could also be sending on different midi channels. So you could create different consecutive programs and with one button push switch between them and transmit on different midi channels. You could also have a program that could transmit 4 zones on up to four unique midi channels. If the programs, performances are consecutively numbered you could just move from 1 to 2 to 3, back to 2, back to 1, with one button push.

Investigate and report back your findings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question