using a pedal with a Juno di

Reaction score
Looking for some recomendations for using a pedal with my Roland Juno Di. It just has one input. I use a damper pedal now. I tried the companies' recommendation of the EV-5 expression pedal and found the volume jumped alot when changing sounds. It didn't have a good range of volume either, so I returned it.

I'd like a pedal for volume, mostly for organ use and switching favorite sounds. I also like using sustain with piano sounds. Not sure if one pedal can do both adequately and I know I'd have to change the system function etc. I play live with our band. Any advice?

Reaction score
Don't have a Juno Di to compare - if the EV-5 didn't do the job it's unlikely that another expression pedal will fix this. Are there performance buttons on the Di? You may need to save the volumes of the programmed sounds/presets you use. See if you can get them at the same volume when you switch between them. Remember to try chords on things like piano - and a few notes on synth sounds that you are using to play lead lines or melodies.

They are still likely to jump to a preset volume when you switch sounds. Expression pedals work by sending a midi message. When you switch to a new sound on your keyboard it has no way of sensing the angle at which the expression pedal is currently sitting. By that I mean you may have it back to mute, you switch sounds and it won't be muted unless you move the pedal very slightly and the keyboard gets the midi message and drops the volume accordingly. Could be the Di remembers the last expression pedal setting - I don't own anything that does.

Other option - if you can't get that to work - get a volume pedal (like guitar players use - you'll need one suitable for a keyboard signal - see below).

You put the audio output(s) of your keyboard into the volume pedal and then use another cable to come out and go into your combo amp, PA, DI - whatever you're playing through.

This is best done in a music shop with someone who can demo it - some volume pedals are stereo - some mono. The stereo/mono thing is a personal choice. The buffer (or whatever they call it) in the pedal is not - some are set for the level coming out of a guitar. You need one suitable to take the (more powerful) signal from a keyboard.

That's the choice - expression pedal and reprogram the sounds you use so they are each at a volume that works with each other (one isn't really really loud compared to the others) OR volume pedal that's in your audio signal chain.

The volume pedal will likely need batteries.

Reaction score
Yeah go with the volume pedal. Any external pedal you use with a keyboard in my personal experience is a lot better off than trusting the keyboards capabilities. Especially when you get to using effects pedals for you keyboards. But definitely if you're wanting to control the volume with a pedal just simply get a guitarists foot pedal. I have one for my keyboard and i love it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I may just go for a guitar/volume and maybe have less to complicate things. I'm currently playing mono into my mixer and powered cabinet. JModisette what brand volume pedal are you using?

Reaction score
I use the Boss FV-500L. It's a pretty awesome volume pedal. Highly reccomended if you don't mind shelling the $100 bucks for it.

Reaction score
hi JModisette,

I bought that Boss pedal FV500 and really like it. Good advice! More expensive, but it is solid as a tank, works great and has a nice feel to it. I found that I can also use it as an expression pedal if I hook it into the hold pedal jack. I'll mostly use in as a volume pedal and keep the sustain pedal in that hold pedal jack. Roland should have added a another jack for an expression or whatever on the di as they did on the more expensive models, but I can live with that.

Thanks!

Ask a Question