Live Rig using Laptop + small controller as master + whatever they have there...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and new to playing live using a laptop.
I've been playing for over 15 years using mostly Yamaha S series and Motif series. I'm a pianist originally.

Most of my gigs are in places they have a digital piano. Most often a Yamaha CP300, some Yamaha S series and Nord Stage's.

What I want is a flexible rig that I can take with me in 2 large 'laptop bags', with which I can then control whatever piano they have in-house. (if they don't have anything I can always bring my good old Motif ES8 or perhaps look into a StudioLogic piano)

What I have in mind is the following; please tell me if this will work the way I think it will:

Laptop, don't know specifically which one, software will come (currently own Spectrasonics and NI stuff)

Interface, Focusrite scarlett 6i6 (I want to be able to send out different channels for backing tracks / click as well)

Midi Controller, M-AUDIO Code 25 (I want knobs, faders and launch pads so I think this one suits perfectly)

furthermore a Sustain Pedal, Expression Pedal, a few jacks/MIDI/etc wires and some power connectors.

I want to set up my laptop with the code 25 and control everything from there, so also the sustain and expression pedal will go in there. this way I can have every controller exactly the same always. then connect the in-house piano via the midi out to the code 25 and use the keys from the in-house piano.

Anything I'm missing/ not thinking of?

I can't find any guide for how to set up a system like this (that uses hardware in-house) so I'm getting a bit scared that it shouldn't be done...

anyway, thanks in advance for any advice/tips

Ask a Question