Using Organ Pedals Alongside a Yamaha Digital Piano With No MIDI Input Port

Reaction score
What I am working with: Yamaha YDP 143R Digital Piano, decent computer setup

What I'd like to have: A set of MIDI organ pedals working alongside the Yamaha with no latency.

The pedals: JG3 Tech 24 Note Midi Bass Pedal Foot Controller (should be the first result on Amazon).

Hello all,

I have been doing some research on how I could possibly integrate an organ pedal MIDI controller into my digital piano set up. There are quite a few notes I am not able to hit without some additional appendages in some organ sheet music, so I figured I'd purchase a pedal setup.

From what I have looked at, the pedals I would like to purchase are compatible with just about any keyboard with a MIDI Input port, unfortunately my keyboard does not have an explicit input for MIDI.

I was thinking about purchasing an external MIDI sound module to route the merged MIDI outputs to (after passing through a MIDI merger combining the outputs of the pedals and my Yamaha), but this would be expensive and I am unsure of how or if this would function so I am hesitant to purchase.

As of right now I haven't even purchased the pedals I would like to because they are expensive themselves and I am unsure if a setup with my keyboard can ever be satisfactorily compatible. I have used my Yamaha as a MIDI input to my computer in the past while using the computer itself as a MIDI sound module, but I always had issues with latency making actual performance impossible if not at least completely unenjoyable.

I am open to suggestions for other ways to get the kind of setup I desire and can afford.

In short, I just want to be able to play the organ pedals listed above along with my Yamaha digital piano model with negligible latency and I am unsure of how to do so.

Any responses are appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You should be able to use an organ pedalboard, even if it is only DIN MIDI by using a MIDI-USB adapter,
Plugging the Yamaha and the pedalboard into a computer or tablet's USB port, and using the device as a MIDI Router with the right software.

A decent MIDI-USB adapter should set you back about $20.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You should be able to use an organ pedalboard, even if it is only DIN MIDI by using a MIDI-USB adapter,
Plugging the Yamaha and the pedalboard into a computer or tablet's USB port, and using the device as a MIDI Router with the right software.

A decent MIDI-USB adapter should set you back about $20.

Gary ;)
I understand that this would be a far cheaper option, but how might using the computer as a midi router affect latency from the keyboard and pedal inputs? I am presuming that if I would be using my computer as a MIDI router then I will be using the computer as a tone generator as well.

If this isn’t the case, then am I just going to feed MIDI inputs back to the Yamaha from my pedals through the computer? I understand that the Yamaha is at least capable of serving as a MIDI output through its USB, which if assumed to be a MIDI usb port, it should be able to do two way MIDI communication.

In this case, the only reason I haven’t gone ahead and just purchased an adapter for a MIDI to USB connection straight from the pedalboard to the keyboard is because I found out that in order to use the Yamaha as a MIDI Input, I need to have the correct drivers installed on my computer - a modification that I would assume to be impossible to perform on simple external MIDI controllers like the pedals I am purchasing.

So in the case of using my computer as purely a MIDI router and not as a sound module, would I be using the onboard tone generator for the Yamaha?

Reaction score
To the extent that your issue is that your Yamaha does not have a MIDI In and you don't want to use a computer, a stand-alone MIDI Host box like the one from Kenton could work (by essentially giving your keyboard 5-pin MIDI connectors). If the sound you want the pedals to trigger is in the piano, that's probably all you need; but it sounds like you want to also add an additional sound source, and send MIDI from the piano AND the pedals to that box. Yes, there are MIDI Merge boxes that will let you do that.

But I'm not sure you should write off the computer approach just because you had a latency issue... that issue may be solvable. Almost any system can be tweaked for acceptable latency these days, especially in an application like this which would not appear to be too demanding. It might be worth starting a separate, appropriately titled thread, providing specifics on your system and asking for suggestions about how to get the latency down. If you can get that to be acceptable, then Gary's suggestion of a low-cost USB adapter for the bass pedals (to connect them to the computer) might be the way to go. That could save you a lot compared to the combination of the host box, the merge box, and the sound module.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Kenton MIDI Host and others like it depend on the device being USB MIDI Class compliant.

Do your homework before buying one.

If the pedalboard YAMAHA requires proprietary drivers then this option is not viable.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Kenton says their interface should work on the post-2012 models, and that Yamaha is pretty new. In fact, Yamaha's page for it talks about using it with iOS, which means it works with no custom drivers. But of course, it couldn't hurt to buy something with a good return policy just in case. ;-)

Ask a Question