Weird and wonderful . . .

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That was a spectacularly awesome cover of New Order's Blue Monday!!!

From now on I'm definitely a fan of these guys.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've seen most of these or similar before. The artiphone is a really nice device, but the stuff where you wave your hand over to make a sound? That's pretty much a logical development of Roland D Beam technology or even the ancient theremin.

I'm not saying programming doesn't have a place in modern music, but nowadays it's 90% pre programming and about 10% performance gestures and waving making the musician look like a spastic donkey :p

Honestly if you can't pull a 12 note scale out of a device I'm not even certain I'd call it an instrument.

I mean it's great for little kids to get them hooked on music but this gear is all priced for a professional's wallet.

I really haven't seen all that many new innovations in synth technology since the introduction of wavetables and to me most of this stuff qualifies as toys rather than useful musical gear.

Anyway, I dunno who p*ssed on my cornflakes this morning but color me unimpressed. :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think that guy is seriously silly.
But I love those little furby's.
He has one for every key. Even the sharps and flats have a dedicated furby. Awesome!
LOL!:D

Reaction score
I already posted this in a separate topic, but it fits in well here:

Plus behind the scenes...

And as an added bonus, as this is the weird and wonderful topic, here's the same guy doing a cover of Titanium on a toy piano :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Interesting music but it seems to me more programmed than performed.

Like many of the commenters on youtube i don't see this thing doing anything more than a multizone keyboard controller with aftertouch and a ribbon could do.

Weird yes. Wonderful? Not so sure.

Seems sorta gimmicky to me for people who can't wrap their heads around a 12 note scale of black and white keys.

I think I'd prefer a Zoom ARQ AR-96 or AR-48 instead. Better flashy thingees :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the parents want peace and quiet all they have to do is unplug it from the home theater system.

I doubt the built in 1 inch squeaker speakers are that loud :p

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The instrument is called a hang drum and I recall investigating them when they first came out about a decade or so ago. They are actually pretty limited in that they are tuned to a particular harmonic scale. They are also crazy expensive considering what they really are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_(instrument)

https://handpanguru.com/

They do, however, make heavenly sounds :)

Sort of like a steel drum in jello :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Speak of the devil. We're just discussing the Hang Drum and now Walk Off the Earth just released this cover song using one. The multistringed instrument is also weird and wonderful and known as a Harpejji.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question