what does this mean

Reaction score
I have a Casio ctk-551 I been trying to figure out what transpose/tune/midi button does when i press it it gos to transpose i can move it up 5 or go down -5. I hear the keys change notes but I don't know what it changes to. if anyone can answer this it would be greatly appreciated.

Jolene

Reaction score
Well it tells you exactly what it does - it transposes the keyboard by a specific amount of half-steps up or down (-5 to +5)

So for example if you're playing in the key of C (notes C D E F G A B), and you
transpose those for +2, each note will go "up" for a full step (or 2 halfsteps).

That way by pressing the C note - your keyboard will actually play a D.
By pressing a G note - your keyboard will play an A etc.

Try and find some literature on notes, steps, half steps and relationships between
them. You'll understand this a lot better then.

C-C# (half step)
C#-D (half step)
C-D (ful step)

etc... :)

Reaction score
Thank you that helps me out a lot. I understand half and whole steps I didn't know that was transposing. But now that gives me another puzzle. I have a casio ctk 551 and it say i can use the transpose and midi device to make it go an octave lower or an octave higher. My transpose button only goes -5 so that is not far enough.I don't understand the chart and what i need to change to make it go to the right key. I have everything software, audio interface computer and most importantly the keyboard. Do you know any informational website to lead me in the right direction?

Ask a Question