Does "keyboards player/album" now mean synth? Or piano-organ-synth?

Reaction score
I'm reprinting some cards after a long, as in very long time, and am working on a keyboards-oriented album, and have heard a few people say that "keyboards" as in "keyboards player" or "keyboards album" is generally considered to mean synths, as in synth player, or synth album. Thing is, I've been a piano-rhodes-wurli-hammond-pipe organ-melodion-synth player in all styles for a long time, and "keyboards" was generally an appropriate term for all.
So what's the most accepted or best-understood term in 2016 among musicians?
What about among non-musician-music-devotees?
Keyboards and synth player? Piano-organ-keyboards player? Not-just-synths-keyboards-player? ;-)
Or is it still Keyboards player?

Thanks,

NoHat

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's whatever you say it is.

But generally, at least around here it includes everything with a keyboard from synths to pianos to organs to harpischords to melodicas to accordions.

Manufacturers tend to blur the lines as well since they often include all of those voices as well as many many more in a single keyboard instrument.

Basically if you play it with a piano style black and white keyboard, then it IS a keyboard.

If it quacks like a duck....

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A "keyboard player" isn't necessarily a synth player, since there are many different kinds of keyboard instruments.

And a "synth player" isn't necessarily a keyboard player, since a synth can be played with other kinds of controls besides a keyboard.

Don't worry about people who try to tell you otherwise-- just smile at them, cock your head to the side and back (i.e., "nod sideways" so you can't be said to be agreeing with them), and silently tell yourself that they're clueless. ;)

Just kidding! ... Or am I? :p

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One of the rules that my daughters were taught for theater work is to not limit yourself to one resume. Design separate resumes for musical, non-musical theater, films & television, commercials, etc.

I suppose the same argument can be used for business cards. Design separate cards for the different types of gigs you're looking for. The one with the keyboard stack would be very bad for the piano bar gig, etc. Cards are cheap, so don't loose gigs because you've only got one.

Ask a Question