What DSP effects will add some "bark" to a Rhodes voice?

Reaction score
Hey there - I'm pretty new to DSP effects - I have a PSR-EW425 with a nice Rhodes voice, but it could use some "bark" in the low end; there are tons of DSP effects on this keyboard, but I don't know where to start with those - any recommendations? Here is a list of the DSP available to me:

01 Dual Rotary Speaker Bright Slow
02 Dual Rotary Speaker Bright Fast
03 Rotary Speaker Slow
04 Rotary Speaker Fast
05 Small Stereo Distortion
06 Small Stereo Overdrive
07 Small Stereo Vintage Amp
08 British Combo Classic
09 British Combo Top Boost
10 British Combo Heavy
11 British Legend Blues
12 British Legend Heavy
13 British Legend Clean
14 Stereo Amp Sim Crunch
15 Stereo Amp Sim Blues
16 Chorus 1 LFO
17 Chorus 3 LFO
18 Chorus 4 LFO
19 Chorus 5 LFO
20 Celeste 2 LFO
21 Symphonic LFO
22 Flanger 1 LFO
23 Vintage Phaser (Stereo)
24 Phaser LFO
25 E. Piano Phaser LFO
26 Auto Wah LFO
27 Auto Wah + Distortion
28 Clavi Touch Wah
29 Tremolo LFO
30 E. Piano Tremolo
31 Guitar Tremolo LFO
32 Ensemble Detune
33 Tempo Auto Pan LFO
34 Echo Lch Feedback
35 Cross Delay 1 Feedback
36 Cross Delay 2 Feedback
37 Compressor Medium
38 Compressor Heavy
39 3Band EQ EQ Mid
40 Harmonic Enhancer
41 Drums Room

Reaction score
Assuming you're talking about the bark that comes when you hit keys with higher velocity, it's a very specific sound, and the Yamaha uses samples, so if their samples don't include the "bark," it ain't there. I don't think there's any way to get anything close to that out of a standard effect. If the amp simulation or overdrive effects introduce more distortion as you play harder, you may get a little closer, in that the sound will get "dirtier" with a harder strike, but it still won't be the same as what happens on a Rhodes.

As for the suggestion above, compression after the other things I mentioned could conceivably help (if the keyboard permits that), by allowing you to get the more overdriven sound without necessarily increasing volume more than you might want, but I don't think phasing/flanging would come into play at all.

Reaction score
try one of these:

08 British Combo Classic
10 British Combo Heavy
11 British Legend Blues
12 British Legend Heavy

The bark isn't a result of the effect, its a result of striking the key hard. However those effects might help even though I'm not sure what they do, only guessing from the descriptions.

Reaction score
The 425 does have a very mild added “bark” with that voice; there is already a chorus DSP on there, I added a mild distortion for DSP2 and it sounded great for the low end not so much for the high; might try messing around with splitting the same voice (not sure I can apply a DSP to only the left voice though)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reaction score
The 425 does have a very mild added “bark” with that voice
If there is some bark built into the voice (i.e. the sample exists), that's good news, it gives you more to work with. You could try adjusting the velocity curve (touch response) so that it takes less force to trigger the higher velocities, which could help you get more of the bark (i.e. without having to hit the keys as hard).

Ask a Question