What training does everyone have?

Reaction score
Sounds like you hit just a bit of a flat spot - we all get them. Thing is, you're still playing, it's not like the music just up and left you. Maybe a call or two to some of your old buddies to get just a jam together might help. Hey, they might be sitting at home thinking the same thing. Nothing beats playing with others to get the old mojo going. Good luck.

Reaction score
Took four or five years of piano, then learned guitar on an old Stella 6 string, then grew my hair, became a hippy, and got into electrics, and gave basic lessons. Played guitar all during the service and often sat down at the piano to mess around. Took more lessons for a few months. Started learning other instruments along the years and finally bought a basic arranger keyboard. Well, a baby grand just wouldn't fit anywhere in the house lol. Now I, my arthritis holds me back a bit on the guitars and I'm back where I started.... on the ivories.

Reaction score
I started off in junior high taking piano lessons from a guy who didn't teach any technique. Just taught you to play chords in the left hand and the melodies in the right. Did that for several years. Then got into prog rock and was like "how the hell are these guys playing this stuff?" Begged my parents to send me to a real music school. Attended Music Institute of Chicago for two years studying classical music. Loved it. I kept playing through college but after college focused on writing/editing, which is how I earn my living. Didn't play for about 10 years. Then started up again in the mid-90s. Went back to the Music Institute for two years to straighten out my screwed up technique. Would have crippled me if I didn't get it straightened out. Otherwise, I've just been educating myself. Now I have a little studio where I write and record and it's a really fascinating adventure.

Reaction score
Zero training whatsoever. Learning to play at 62 because I want to be able to improvise playing synthy stuff. Trying to learn by watching various YouTube videos and practice, practice, practice. Not wanting to become a classical pianist, but want to get a background in some music theory.

Reaction score
My background is decades of playing guitar and bass and going to music school and avoiding piano. Now retired I decided to finally take on the piano. I started with the typical local piano teacher type slogging thru one of the common Adult Beginner Books and was bored to death, but I did get basic fingering concepts from those lessons. My background in guitar is Jazz so my music knowledge is pretty advanced in a conundrum of piano beginner mechanically but things I wanted to play were advanced. So I found a Jazz teacher online and because I have a advanced music background he'd take me even though a piano beginner. This is working out great were working on technique from a improvisers point of view, covering chords, voicings, and voice leading. and working on tunes that I like. I'm feeling I'm making good progress in fingering and learning chord voicings and teacher says I'm making good progress. So a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's important to learn by playing music you want to play. I makes doing typical exercises more interesting because you know you know later in your practice day you'll be learning to play music your interested in. Learning is work, but it need to be fun too.

Ask a Question