Which 88-keys weighted MIDI-keyboard should I buy?

Reaction score
Hey! As the title says, I'm looking for a 88-keys MIDI-keyboard with weighted keys. It will mainly be used for playing piano VST's, such as The Grandeur in Kontakt. I need a keyboard which mimics the feel of a real piano.

I'm interested in the Arturia Keylab 88, but I want to know about some other alternatives. As for price, I'm not going over the 1000$ price tag.

Any suggestions? :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Arturia uses Fatar keybeds, which are considered among the best available. Fatar also makes the Studiologic line of controllers which are also worth a look at.

Otherwise I'd also suggest trying out the Akai MPK line and the Roland line of controllers as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. It's hard to decide, really. I'm leaning towards either Arturia Keylab 88 or Studiologic SL-88 Grand.

But according to this video (of Arturia Keylab 88):
the keyboard might get some issues later on?

Edit: How does these MIDI-keyboards compare to the M-Audio Oxygen 88? The price is a little lower, but what else?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I owned an Oxygen 49 once and I have to say it was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned.

Its lag and lack of response were so bad I had to turn off velocity in order to just get it to play proper notes without skipping every 4th note.

As for the above video on the arturia, this is only one review. My advice is to look at Amazon and ZZounds and B&H and Sweetwater and every other music website out there and view all the reviews you can.

Frankly there's no telling how well any product lasts based on a single review.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, take a look at the Alesis controllers as well. I currently have an Alesis QX49 which I bought to replace the Oxygen after it died on me.

Build quality seems very good, no lag and I've been using for a year now with no issues.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I checked a lot of reviews and ended up going for the Arturia Keylab 88. Thank you very much for the help! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Congrats! As long as you're not a gorilla on the keys and use the buttons to rest your beer hopefully it will last you a long, long time.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question