Which Keyboard amp? Powered Monitor, Roland KC, Behringer Ultratone?

Reaction score
I've got a Korg Krome as my piano at home hooked up to a pair of Mackie MR-5 Studio Monitors. It sounds great. I want a keyboard amp that is going to sound like that. I had a Peavy KB-4. It sounded so tinny and harsh. I HATED it. Got rid of it.

I tried an EV-powered speaker at the store hooked up to a Yamaha CP and it sounded too boomy. To much lower end. Muddy. I tried a Roland KC-600 hooked up to a Roland RD-2000. It sounded the opposite. Lacking in the low end. Sounded unimpressive. Bland.

My piano teacher who knows his stuff has been gigging with a Behringer Ultratone for years now and he loves it. I haven't gotten to try it out.
I just want it to sound like my studio monitors. How hard can it be? Why is it so hard? My studio monitors don't have 15" woofers. They have little 5" woofers but they sound amazing.

Can I just download the frequency response charts for all of them and compare them with my studio monitors and look for something matching? Do I go with something like the EV, and EQ out the bottom end? Do I just trust my piano teacher and try a Behringer?
What to do, what to do? Help!

Reaction score
i believe you asked this exact question about 5 months ago in the music player forum for which you got about 30 responses. Not sure why those responses werent good enough for you. As they say in Shark Tank "I'm out".

Last edited:

Ask a Question