Which keyboard to play electric guitar with distorsion

Reaction score
Hello,
After viewing most of YouTube videos on playing lead and electric guitar on keyboards, I am still confused about what keyboard to start with.
But most of those videos, are about sounds not originally shipped with the keyboard but created by software.

So my question, is there a keyboard preferably with speakers, I can buy 300-500$ and with a few settings, I can get electric guitar and distorted lead sounds.
If not, is possible to buy sounds and import and save them on a simple keyboard through USB.
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Welcome.

Simple answer is yes.

There is a But, it will be a compromise with your budget?

To emulate a guitar you will also need the keyboard to have a pitch bend control so you can effectively bend a string and not all have this feature. Additionally inbuilt effects that are there and can be used to customise the instrument sounds is a bonus.

Your With Speakers requirement means an Arranger like a Yamaha PSR E463 which retails c$300 US. This comes with c40 different guitar voices including a few with distortion. This is a beginner grade keyboard.

A better quality keyboard is the Korg EK50 which retails at $450 US.

A more Pro grade keyboard would be a Korg Kross 2 or a Roland Juno DS but these new are c$750 US and do no include speakers so you would need to factor in a pair of Monitor Powered Speakers at c$150. Do a search on a second owner or auction site to see if either of these is available, you may strike lucky as a lot of people are selling off gear at this present time.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
I found many like korg x50, pa50 and kross1 but I thought these are complicated to tune and mix sounds. Also yamaha psr and E series like e443, 453 but not sure to have that sound almost as real as electric guitar seen on youtubers playing solo guns and Roses.
Yes, I know, the pitch bend is necessary.
Built in speakers are just a preference. If korg kross1 can do the job, I 'll go for a used one.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or for about $500 USD you can pick up a vintage used Casio CZ-101 and sound like your favorite band from the 80's. ;)

But seriously, you're looking for synth sounds then instead of a ROMpler you should be looking at a genuine Analog or VA synth.

They won't have speakers built in but then again 99% of professional gear doesn't these days.

If you're looking at used with a full keyboard then consider the Novation Ultranova and MINInova or original Korg Minilogue. If you're looking to do it on the cheap with new gear, then you could try a Behringer Crave with a $150 cheap controller plugged into the MIDI port.

Other mini keyboard models you can MIDI up include the Arturia Microfreak or the Korg Volca series for pretty cheap.

The fact is if you are looking for that Jan Hammer sound from Escape From Television then these synths will serve you better and be a learning experience you would profit from.

That's my nickel's worth of advice :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question