Which keyboard to start?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum ... I wanted to ask for some advice.
I already play the guitar, but I wanted to buy a keyboard (or sinth) to start playing the piano and composing some backing tracks.
I had seen this YAMAHA PSR E373, Casio CT-X3000 and KORG EK-50.
My budget is around 350 Euros (370 $) and need a keyboard preamplified.
Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My advice is go with the Korg.

Soon a dozen people will be here with a dozen other suggestions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
+1 on buying the Korg.

The Casio sounds OK but the OS is cr4p

Yamaha 3 series are best avoided the 463 is much superior yet still inferior to the Korg, imo that is.

BTW
If you can stretch the budget the EK50 has an L version which has much greater powered onboard amp and speakers.

Reaction score
I think that I would agree on the Korg as well.

There are two versions of the EK-50. There is the regular model (EK-50) and the 'Limitless' model (EK-50L).

The main differences between the two are that the EK-50L has more sounds than the regular EK-50, and the EK-50L has some strange magic going on inside that allows for more sound output, even though the wattage rating is the same as the regular model. Apparently, they have increased the efficiency of the speaker system over the regular EK-50.

If you can get away with a keyboard that lacks a built-in speaker system (I know you said you wanted something pre-amplified), then I would also look at the i3 from Korg (the 2020 version). It has all of the sounds of the EK-50L and adds a few features, but does lack speakers.

Grace,
Harry

Reaction score
Spec says

10W x 2 on the EK50

13W x 2 on the EK50L
According to Korg's website:

Korg EK-50 - 10 watts X 2
Korg EK-50L - 10 watts X 2

The difference is that they increased the efficiency of the speaker system to where the speakers operate at 94db SPL. Korg claims that the speaker system is double the SPL of the original EK-50. One can assume from this that the speaker system on the regular EK-50 would be 91db SPL.

I would like to know how they did that... did they change the speaker enclosure design, etc...?

Grace,
Harry

Reaction score
thanks for the answers!
With the Korg is it possible to have sounds like those of the Yamaha reface? Vintage sounds, like organ, wurlitzer sound, delay, chorus, etc ?? I like vintage sounds, but also electronic ones in the style of Depeche mode or similar

Reaction score
thanks for the answers!
With the Korg is it possible to have sounds like those of the Yamaha reface? Vintage sounds, like organ, wurlitzer sound, delay, chorus, etc ?? I like vintage sounds, but also electronic ones in the style of Depeche mode or similar
The Reface series is much different than the EK-50. There are EP sounds and organ sounds, but the Reface are much more realistic. I happen to have all 4 of the Reface series and the Reface CP is my 'go to' unit for EP sounds. The YC is my 'go to' unit for the organ stuff, especially the Hammond clonewheel model.

The EK-50 is, in all intents and purposes, an entry level keyboard with some backing tracks and a lot of sounds for almost every style. With that said, Korg really hit it out of the park with the EK because the sounds are quite good, especially for the price and when comparing it to the Yamaha and Casio counterparts.

There are demos on YT for the Ek-50. I recommend checking them out, even if you already purcahsed it. It is good to hear what a unit capable of, even when you own it :)

Grace,
Harry

Reaction score
The Reface series is much different than the EK-50. There are EP sounds and organ sounds, but the Reface are much more realistic. I happen to have all 4 of the Reface series and the Reface CP is my 'go to' unit for EP sounds. The YC is my 'go to' unit for the organ stuff, especially the Hammond clonewheel model.

The EK-50 is, in all intents and purposes, an entry level keyboard with some backing tracks and a lot of sounds for almost every style. With that said, Korg really hit it out of the park with the EK because the sounds are quite good, especially for the price and when comparing it to the Yamaha and Casio counterparts.

There are demos on YT for the Ek-50. I recommend checking them out, even if you already purcahsed it. It is good to hear what a unit capable of, even when you own it :)

Grace,
Harry
Thanks for the reply. Excuse the beginner question :D :D , but if I connect the keyboard to an emulation software, like Cubase or others, is it possible to get sounds like the reface?

Reaction score
Yes (ish) in that it depends upon the connectivity and compliance of the keyboard.

Any of the keyboards you originally quoted in theory should be able to be connected to a Computer and you should then be able to play any virtual instrument in Cubase, any other DAW software or in a specific standalone package such as those available from Arturia etc.

Another way is to connect up a keyboard to an iPad and use an App, there are plenty that emulate Organs, synths, acoustic pianos, digital pianos etc.

I use one myself called Gallileo 2

Another that gets rave reviews is the Hammond B3X

BTW
The Yamaha Reface keyboards get great reviews but do note that they do not have full sized keys.

Reaction score
According to Korg's website:

Korg EK-50 - 10 watts X 2
Korg EK-50L - 10 watts X 2

The difference is that they increased the efficiency of the speaker system to where the speakers operate at 94db SPL. Korg claims that the speaker system is double the SPL of the original EK-50. One can assume from this that the speaker system on the regular EK-50 would be 91db SPL.

I would like to know how they did that... did they change the speaker enclosure design, etc...?
The easiest way to do it is just to swap the speaker out for a more efficient speaker.

Ask a Question