Wireless MIDI

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to this site, and am hoping I can get a little help.
I am looking to eliminate some wiring by changing from iPad with USB to iPad with wireless MIDI adapters. I purchased two CME WiFi wireless adapters to use with my Roland RD-2000 and Fantom 07. I have been using the USB connectivity with Setlist Maker successfully for program change. That is what I specifically need.
I’ve contacted tech support at CME, Roland and Setlist Maker. I can pair the adapters successfully to my iPad via the Setlist Maker app. Setlist Maker indicates that MIDI is being sent, but there is no effect on either keyboard. Roland has not responded yet after a week.
The blue light on both WiFi adapters flash fast consistently which indicates they are sending/receiving MIDI data or clock.

Any suggestions?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Does it work if you replace the wireless MIDI with wired MIDI? What I'm getting at is, is the data being sent the correct data for what you want to do; and if it is the correct data, is the keyboard set up to respond to it as expected?

Many keyboards will not let you set the voice as expected unless you are selecting a registration or something like that.

For instance, you usually can't just send the MSB/LSB and Program Change numbers for one of the preset voices and then play that voice on the keyboard, because the MIDI data that's being received will select the voice for use on one of the song channels rather than for live play as the right-hand voice.

Some arrangers will let you configure the keyboard's MIDI setup so that data being received on a given channel will affect one of the keyboard parts (i.e., the right voice, or the left voice) rather than one of the song channels.

And some synthesizers make you use special bank numbers (MSB/LSB) which select a user voice or registration rather than directly choosing one of the preset voices.

I'm not explaining it well, and I don't know how the RD does it, but the gist is that it might not be as simple and straightforward as you are expecting it to be.

Reaction score
It works wired except I am now having an issue with tones within a Scene changing on some programs. The change consistently. If I use my app, I get wrong results. If I press the Scene indicator on the Fantom 07, I get the correct sounds. Wierd for sure.
In any event, Roland got back to me today, so I'll see if they can resolve my issues.

Thanx for the response. Nothing seems simple these days

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I wonder if it could be a simple case of number conversion? That is, maybe the scene numbers need to be adjusted by 1? MIDI data is always from 0 to 127-- except when fewer bits are used, such as for channel numbers which are a nibble rather than a byte, so 0 to 15-- but in a lot of cases those values are listed in print as being from 1 to 128 (or 1 to 16, etc.) because it's more "human-friendly" to start with 1 instead of starting with 0.

Reaction score
Unfortunately. . . not the case. I'll see what Roland comes back with. Tried all the simple stuff. I am getting Midi data from the boards back to my app. . . but not in the other direction to change programs

Reaction score
I purchased two CME WiFi wireless adapters to use with my Roland RD-2000 and Fantom 07. I have been using the USB connectivity with Setlist Maker successfully for program change. That is what I specifically need.
I’ve contacted tech support at CME, Roland and Setlist Maker. I can pair the adapters successfully to my iPad via the Setlist Maker app. Setlist Maker indicates that MIDI is being sent, but there is no effect on either keyboard.
Just to clarify the situation... the CME devices you're using on the two Roland keyboards are ones that plug into the 5-pin MIDI connectors on those boards (and not the USB connectors), right?

Since you only purchased two CME devices, it sounds like you're using the native bluetooth on the iPad. You may need to buy an additional CME adapter for the iPad itself. I may be mis-remembering, but while native bluetooth can connect to one CME-equipped keyboard, I think you have to use a CME device on the iPad itself if you are trying to connect to multiple CME-equipped keyboards, and use CME's "group" feature.

For initial troubleshooting, I would try to use the iPad to communicate to only one of your two keyboards (don't connect or power-up the CME device you bought for the second keyboard), and see if that works, to see if the problem only happens when trying to connect to both keyboards simultaneously, that could help narrow down where things are failing.

Roland has not responded yet after a week.
Keyboard manufacturers rarely support anything involving other companies' hardware. I would expect Roland to say that, for wireless communication, they only support the Roland/Boss wireless adapters, and don't guarantee it will work with anything else.

It works wired except I am now having an issue with tones within a Scene changing on some programs. The change consistently. If I use my app, I get wrong results. If I press the Scene indicator on the Fantom 07, I get the correct sounds.

I'm a little confused by your description or your 'via wired MIDI' vs.'on the Fantom itself' scenarios. Are you trying to change the tones within a Scene, or are you trying to change the Scenes themselves? I think you are you saying you're trying to change the Scenes themselves (via MIDI) but instead, some of the tones within the scene are changing? If that's the case, the MIDI commands for changing Scenes are different from the MIDI commands for changing tones within a Scene, so that could be the cause of what seems like a discrepancy.

Reaction score
Yes, I tried only one keyboard and no response. I am changing scenes for live performance.

I understand that Roland may not respond regarding a third party unit, but I had to try. What is interesting is that my iPad is receiving MIDI data from both keyboards when I trigger program changes, and my app indicates that MIDI is being sent. I took care to follow the instructions for pairing two CME units so that they do not communicate with each other.

I’ve programmed in about 60+ scenes so far. Only a few change tones when I use the iPad to select them. If I press the scene button on the Fantom 07 itself, all is good. I have no issues with the RD-2000 except program changes. Inconsistent results are a bi%}^ch to troubleshoot.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
I turned on the RD-2000 with the CME WIDI Master only. Here is what I get coming back to my app from the RD-2000 when I play notes on the keyboard. There does not appear to be communication to the RD-2000.

Also, when I previously powered up the Fantom 07, I get a “Midi Communication Error” message on the Fantom.

I ordered a Roland WM-1 today. Will have it tomorrow and see if that works. Just hate the thought of carrying batteries around again.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.png
    IMG_0025.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
UPDATE: The Roland WM-1 arrived and I paired it and tested it. My app shows two-way communication between the Fantom 07 or RD-2000 and my iPad app. Still no program change occurring. I've opened a new ticket with Roland and will see what they have to say now that I am using all Roland product. Something will get returned!

Ask a Question