X-Mas Gift = Keyboard and Lessons

Reaction score
FINALLY! my parents say that for X-mas (if my grades come in lovely) they will buy me a newer(cheap of course) keyboard and may happen to give me lessons.

Heres the question:

What kind of keyboard should I get? I am from the US, so US links from Guitar Center or a good popular music store with prices(us dollars) would be great. Or you can tell me the name of a keyboard and I'll look for it myself.

I am looking for one thats 61+ keys, good sound, something that probably doesnt need an amp unless it comes with one. maybe looking for a USB/MIDI compatible one as well. I need one thats cheap and is good for lessons. If you can find a cheap one, maybe one with a pitch wheel or something.

Again, I am trying to get lessons so i need a keyboard I can use for lessons, practice, and just playing around with.

Thanks alot folks!

Reaction score
Get a piano... a good one... keyboards are no good for learning on IMO. Beyond that you didn't specify a budget... or what kind of music you'd be playing/learning... or whether weighted keys is important to you or not.

Reaction score
Get a piano... a good one... keyboards are no good for learning on IMO. Beyond that you didn't specify a budget... or what kind of music you'd be playing/learning... or whether weighted keys is important to you or not.

Exactly! Tell us more about what type of music you intend to play... Do you prefer acoustic instruments or maybe synth/lead sounds.

And most important... how much money you've got :D

Reaction score
And most important... how much money you've got :D

Riotblade said:
FINALLY! my parents say that for X-mas (if my grades come in lovely) they will buy me a newer(cheap of course) keyboard and may happen to give me lessons.

I think the budget is quite hard to tell if you're not the one buying it :p

I both agree and disagree to buying a piano instead. It's definitely a better way to learn if you want to be rather serious with your playing. But a mediocre piano costs a lot more than a mediocre keyboard, and a keyboard is more mobile...

And it probably depends quite a lot on which kind of music you intend to play, as mentioned by the others. If you play music which often uses other sounds that just piano, a keyboard might be more of interest. But if you play music that uses piano sounds more than other sounds, go for a piano, if you find something good for a reasonable price.

Reaction score
Well here is the thing.

I live in a small house, so therefore I won't be able to have room for a piano. I need a keyboard because it is mobile like Sargas said and I takes up alot less room. I can put it on its side or keep it on its stand in the corner when I'm done. I was looking at this Korg TR-61 for the gift. its 999 us dollars and it does sound great.

Reaction score
A mid range workstation... and korg TR.

not a bad choice at all. Plenty of sounds (including the TRITON sounds), expandable, can load new samples, and there are LOADS of them on the interwebs (unlike with Yamaha for example).

It's very light and portable... but you will need some kind of amplifier for it since it has no built in speakers. So make sure you have an extra 100$
to buy a good set of PC speakers (I use Logitech high-end PC speakers on my CP33).

Good luck!

Reaction score
A mid range workstation... and korg TR.

not a bad choice at all. Plenty of sounds (including the TRITON sounds), expandable, can load new samples, and there are LOADS of them on the interwebs (unlike with Yamaha for example).

It's very light and portable... but you will need some kind of amplifier for it since it has no built in speakers. So make sure you have an extra 100$
to buy a good set of PC speakers (I use Logitech high-end PC speakers on my CP33).

Good luck!

I was thinking about getting a professional but cheap keyboard amp.
I was looking at this cheap one:

http://http://www.guitarcenter.com/...-15w-Keyboard-Amplifier-103643284-i1173577.gc

If I get this amp, I would need instrument cables right? Something like this?:

http://http://www.guitarcenter.com/...raight-Instrument-Cable-100029990-i1128384.gc

Reaction score
yea, but with only one box you won't be able to benefit much from beautiful stereo sampled sounds most of today's keyboards have.

My suggestions still goes for something like Logitech X230

I use those from time to time and they are never above 50%, and believe me
it's MORE then enough :D

Reaction score
yea, but with only one box you won't be able to benefit much from beautiful stereo sampled sounds most of today's keyboards have.

My suggestions still goes for something like Logitech X230

I use those from time to time and they are never above 50%, and believe me
it's MORE then enough :D

where can you find those speakers?
I can't find them anywhere online.

Reaction score
The behringer truth's are very nice as well, got a set of the B2031A's myself.
Though they're more expensive.

Ask a Question