Why does my slave keyboard play the same sound as my master ..i have a dx7 midi out to cassio wk

Reaction score
my Yamaha dx7 midi to my Cassio wk3000 slave ..what ever sound the dx7 plays the slave plays ..if you play the slave it plays what ever sound it is set to but when you play the master they both play what ever sound the master is set to

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A master keyboard normally transmits messages when you change patches. The types of messages may vary based on the keyboard, but typically include a Program Change, frequently a Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB as well, possibly a number of other Control Change messages for things like Reverb Depth or Panning or Channel Volume, and maybe even some SysEx messages.

A slave keyboard might not be able to understand and respond to all of the messages it's receiving, and the result might even vary dramatically from what you're expecting. For instance, if the master keyboard sends a Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change, the slave keyboard may or may not have a voice or tone or patch (whatever the slave keyboard calls its sounds) for that specific Bank/Program combination, but usually it will at least fall back to whatever GM1 (General MIDI Level 1) sound corresponds to the given Program Change, which usually bears at least a passing similarity to whatever sound the master keyboard is using. But if the slave keyboard doesn't have a GM1 mode, or if it does but is currently set to some other mode, then the Bank/Program messages may select something totally different, possibly from a set of user-defined patches.

Many keyboards have settings that let you specify which types of MIDI messages you want them to transmit or respond to, so you might be able to tell the master keyboard not to transmit patch-change messages, or you might be able to tell the slave keyboard not to respond to those messages. If your keyboards don't have those options, you can buy a MIDI box that has the ability to filter out specific types of MIDI messages, such as the MIDI Solutions Event Processor. Or, if you've already got your keyboards connected to your computer for recording or sequencing purposes, you could use your DAW to route the MIDI messages from one keyboard to the other and filter out any unwanted types of messages.

Reaction score
my Yamaha dx7 midi to my Cassio wk3000 slave ..what ever sound the dx7 plays the slave plays ..if you play the slave it plays what ever sound it is set to but when you play the master they both play what ever sound the master is set to
A master keyboard normally transmits messages when you change patches. The types of messages may vary based on the keyboard, but typically include a Program Change, frequently a Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB as well, possibly a number of other Control Change messages for things like Reverb Depth or Panning or Channel Volume, and maybe even some SysEx messages.

A slave keyboard might not be able to understand and respond to all of the messages it's receiving, and the result might even vary dramatically from what you're expecting. For instance, if the master keyboard sends a Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change, the slave keyboard may or may not have a voice or tone or patch (whatever the slave keyboard calls its sounds) for that specific Bank/Program combination, but usually it will at least fall back to whatever GM1 (General MIDI Level 1) sound corresponds to the given Program Change, which usually bears at least a passing similarity to whatever sound the master keyboard is using. But if the slave keyboard doesn't have a GM1 mode, or if it does but is currently set to some other mode, then the Bank/Program messages may select something totally different, possibly from a set of user-defined patches.

Many keyboards have settings that let you specify which types of MIDI messages you want them to transmit or respond to, so you might be able to tell the master keyboard not to transmit patch-change messages, or you might be able to tell the slave keyboard not to respond to those messages. If your keyboards don't have those options, you can buy a MIDI box that has the ability to filter out specific types of MIDI messages, such as the MIDI Solutions Event Processor. Or, if you've already got your keyboards connected to your computer for recording or sequencing purposes, you could use your DAW to route the MIDI messages from one keyboard to the other and filter out any unwanted types of messages.
Thank you for your reply .. although i am new to midi somewhat i was a bit lost i thought it might be a simple flip of a switch (LOL) ..ALSO IF I MAY ASK ..i just bought a new Yamaha s670 which it says 'midi thru USB ..HOW DO I Hook up the usb connection to my 5 pin midi products ? is there an adapter or is this going to be a project also ..thanks you very much for the Replys

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was about to say that the PSR-S670 has standard MIDI ports in addition to a USB-MIDI port, but I double-checked the manual and-- unlike the PSR-S770 and PSR-S970-- all it has is a USB-MIDI port.

You can't simply connect a USB-MIDI device to a MIDI device, because the USB-MIDI device must be connected to a USB host. Basically, they can communicate with each other, but there must be a USB host device between them to enable the communication.

One option is to connect both of them to a computer and use a computer program to route the MIDI data between them. That's usually the least expensive solution, since most people already have a computer anyway, and you can get MIDI routing software for free, so all you'll need to buy is a standard USB cable to connect the USB-MIDI device to the computer and a MIDI-to-USB interface to connect the MIDI device to the computer. (A word of warning: You might be tempted to get the least expensive MIDI-to-USB interface, but they can suffer from poor quality assurance, so it's usually better to spend a little more money for a MIDI-to-USB interface from a well-known company.)

But if that option isn't feasible for some reason-- e.g., you want to connect the devices together while performing on stage and you don't want to drag a computer or laptop around with you-- then you'll need to get a special interface that can act as a USB host, such as one of the following:

- Kenton MIDI USB Host
- Miditech USB MIDI Host
- Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI 2
- Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI Router

Some of the iConnectivity MIDI interfaces can also act as a USB host, but not all of them can; you'll need one that has a USB Type A port in addition to a USB Type B port. For example, I think the mio4 will work (although I'm not certain) because it has a USB Type A port, but the mio2 definitely will not work because it does not.

Reaction score
I was about to say that the PSR-S670 has standard MIDI ports in addition to a USB-MIDI port, but I double-checked the manual and-- unlike the PSR-S770 and PSR-S970-- all it has is a USB-MIDI port.

You can't simply connect a USB-MIDI device to a MIDI device, because the USB-MIDI device must be connected to a USB host. Basically, they can communicate with each other, but there must be a USB host device between them to enable the communication.

One option is to connect both of them to a computer and use a computer program to route the MIDI data between them. That's usually the least expensive solution, since most people already have a computer anyway, and you can get MIDI routing software for free, so all you'll need to buy is a standard USB cable to connect the USB-MIDI device to the computer and a MIDI-to-USB interface to connect the MIDI device to the computer. (A word of warning: You might be tempted to get the least expensive MIDI-to-USB interface, but they can suffer from poor quality assurance, so it's usually better to spend a little more money for a MIDI-to-USB interface from a well-known company.)

But if that option isn't feasible for some reason-- e.g., you want to connect the devices together while performing on stage and you don't want to drag a computer or laptop around with you-- then you'll need to get a special interface that can act as a USB host, such as one of the following:

- Kenton MIDI USB Host
- Miditech USB MIDI Host
- Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI 2
- Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI Router

Some of the iConnectivity MIDI interfaces can also act as a USB host, but not all of them can; you'll need one that has a USB Type A port in addition to a USB Type B port. For example, I think the mio4 will work (although I'm not certain) because it has a USB Type A port, but the mio2 definitely will not work because it does not.
Hey Thank You Very Much For taking the Time to Explain that to me ..i have been reading up on Midi so i kinda understand what you are saying .. i just have a small studio in the house ..i just purchased the PSR S670 along with a Presonous studio live ar8 mixer both are new and still in the box as i am redoing the room with paint , pics , wall hanger Guitars and such .. my original set up was (3) Casio wk 3000's and a Dx7 all midi together but as mentioned played the same sound as the master .. the Casio's had the 6 trk Sequencers so i would use those to put together a song .. now my set up will be the 670 as the Main by it self ..and the dx7 midi'd thru a splitter box to the other Casio's and also used with the BC3 Breath Controller at times .... i'll figure it all out as i keep reading ..again thanks for your help ..God Bless and Happy New Yr

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Do you have a computer in your setup?

Happy New Year to you, too! :)

Reaction score
Do you have a computer in your setup?

Happy New Year to you, too! :)
Yes i do i have a HP i5 with a fresh copy of Win 10 that i don't plan on putting on the Net so it doesn't get all jammed with Junk .. i have my other i5 on the internet to take care of anything else i need to do .. my plan is to use the s670 and the Presonus mixer with a copy of recording software free from Presonus .. and the Dx7 midi with the 5 pin to the casio's and then a 1/4 inch left and right out to the presonus so i can use the Bc3 breath controller which the Dx7 has the front input for the breath controller...Thank You

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I sometimes use the free version of PreSonus Studio One, called Studio One Prime, so I have some familiarity with it. Are you going to be using Studio One Prime, or do you have a free license for another edition that was bundled with some equipment? Studio One Prime doesn't support third-party plug-ins at all. Neither does the next edition up, Studio One Artist-- but you can get it as an add-on.

Or are you talking about something else, such as PreSonus Capture?

Getting back to your original questions, if you'll be using a computer in your setup then that's the simplest and least-expensive way to solve your problems-- connect all your keyboards to your computer and use Studio One to route and filter the MIDI data as needed. :)

Reaction score
I sometimes use the free version of PreSonus Studio One, called Studio One Prime, so I have some familiarity with it. Are you going to be using Studio One Prime, or do you have a free license for another edition that was bundled with some equipment? Studio One Prime doesn't support third-party plug-ins at all. Neither does the next edition up, Studio One Artist-- but you can get it as an add-on.

Getting back to your original questions, if you'll be using a computer in your setup then that's the simplest and least-expensive way to solve your problems-- connect all your keyboards to your computer and use Studio One to route and filter the MIDI data as needed. :)

I Just bought a Presonus Studio Live AR8 Mixer/Recorder and it says i get a free copy to download of Studio One 3 .. i have registered it but have not downloaded the free software as of yet the Mixer and the s670 are still in the Box as i am painting / lighting ect ect my home studio .. i have no idea yet how to use the AR8 Software .. i used pro tools before .. i am not a seasoned Musician i taught myself how to play Guitar, 5 string banjo , keyboards , drums ect i have no idea how to read music but i can play ( i think ) HERE Was my First Song i ever did on Protools and Windows Movie Maker i think its not bad for a beginner
... again Thanks for your time it Helps

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're right, that's not bad for a beginner! :) And one doesn't need to be able to read and write music to be a musician, just as being able to read and write music doesn't make one a musician.

Studio One is pretty easy to use, but using your MIDI keyboards with it requires that you set them up in Studio One first. I'll post a few screenshots later to show you how to do that.

Ask a Question