Linking 2 keyboards Master-Slave question

Reaction score
We have a vintage (80's) Kawai K1 II synth that has awesome sounds and we have a newer 88 key Casio Previa PX350M full size weighted key piano. I am very low tech so take that into account please.... Is it possible to link the Kawai (as a slave) to the Casio (as a controller/master) to be able to play the sounds from the Kawai on the Casio? Both are midi capable, If someone is familar with doing this I can take pics of the inputs because I would need direction on how to accomplish this as well a be directed on what cable(s) I would need, I was told by a friend that this should be doable and he also said there was likely no way to get the sounds off the Kawai to load them on the Casio due to different formatting.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You probably have 5 pin DIN MIDI connections on both.

What you'd require are two such cables and connect them so MIDI OUT on one connects to MIDI IN on the other and vice versa.

These are the cables you'd require. Choose an appropriate length. As mentioned you would require a pair so I recommend these that combine both cables into one and are color coded.

https://www.amazon.com/HOSA-DUAL-MIDI-CABLE-3-3/dp/B000068NUU/

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-MID-203-Dual-5-pin-Cable/dp/B000068NUW/

www.amazon.com/HOSA-MID-202-Dual-Cable-Meters/dp/B000068NUV/

I'd recommend a 6 foot length and as the cables are already dual you would only require one.

The red connector at one end would connect to MIDI OUT on the Casio and the red connector at the other end would connect to MIDI IN on the Kawai and the gray would connect to MIDI IN on the Casio and MIDI OUT on the Kawai.

This should be the only cable you'd require.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
ok Gary - that looks simple enough but what then - what do I have to do to play the Casio and get the sounds from the Kawai? Once I hook up those cables is there anything to do? Maybe bring the sound on the Kawai down to zero? Also is there any chance of messing up anything program wise on either keyboard by doing this??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Once the cables are hooked up, chances are the Kawai will be slaved to the Casio and vice versa.

Assuming all things are set to factory defaults, you should be hearing sound from both as soon as you hit a key on either.

Otherwise there may be some MIDI settings you might have to enable.

You might have to enable the MIDI ports on either machine or both before the ports are active.

Check your manual.

You might have to set a MIDI transmit and receive channel but usually these things default to channel 1.

If you want one keyboard to be silent when you play it, you could set the MIDI LOCAL to OFF but it's really a lot easier to just turn the volume knob to zero on the one you don't want to hear.

If you want to start setting up split zones and multiple sounds on the two units then it gets more complicated and you have to refer to your manuals for which channels apply to which zones.

But other than that, you should be hearing the two pianos layered on top of one another as soon as you hook them up and hit a key.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary - I will give it a try. once I get the cables and try it will let you know - sure appreciate the response!
Tom

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're welcome Tom.

MIDI is not really that difficult at a fundamental level.

Just remember. OUT always connects to IN and channels need to match at the transmitting and receiving ends.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
so excited to get the cables today - sad to say they (the keyboards) did not communicate when playing the kawai I did get some choppy sound coming out of the built in speakers on the casio previa however when playing the casio just the casio's sounds came out - i even reversed the cable connections just for kicks - still nothing. Tried turning on and off the volumes - tried about every possible scenario... Back to square one... I did not try all the high tech suggestions you posted above like enabling the ports and such 'cause I have no clue on most if not all of what you said... sorry...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Kawai K1II has three MIDI ports-- MIDI THRU, MIDI OUT, and MIDI IN. To use the K1II as a sound module, you'll need to connect a MIDI cable to the K1II's MIDI IN port, because you want it to receive MIDI data coming IN from the PX-350M. See page 9 of the Owner's Manual for the K1II, in the section on "Sample Setups," and look at "(a) Playing the K1II from a digital piano."

The Casio PX-350M has two MIDI ports-- MIDI OUT and MIDI IN. To use the PX-350M as a keyboard controller, you'll need to connect the other end of the MIDI cable to the PX-350M's MIDI OUT port, because you want to send the MIDI data coming OUT of it to the K1II.

See page E-45 of the User's Guide for the PX-350M, and note the sections on "Keyboard Channel" and "Local Control." Although the PX-350M lets you split or layer tones together, it apparently transmits only one keyboard channel, so you might as well set the Keyboard Channel to 01. To use the PX-350M as a keyboard controller, you'll want to turn the Local Control to Off, which will prevent the PX-350M from making any sounds of its own when you play on its keys. (Just remember to turn the Local Control back on when you do want to play the PX-350M's sounds!)

The settings on the K1II look more complicated, and since I'm not familiar with the K1II I can't give you detailed setup advice. But you'll want to study section "3. MIDI Receive Parameters" that begins on page 42. Be sure to set the RCV CH to the same channel number which you set the PX-350M to transmit on. And if the PX-350M is sending on only one channel then I assume you can turn the OMNI parameter to OFF.

As for the PGM parameter, it might be best to set it to OFF so the K1II will ignore Program Change messages coming from the PX-350M, since there's no correlation between the tones on the PX-350M and the patches on the K1II. That means you would need to select the desired patch on the K1II.

Reaction score
Wow Sea - if I may call you Sea? ... I do have both manuals and wow - I appreciate your step by step instructions - now if I just have the guts to try it! May I say - sure sounds like you know this stuff real well!!! The deal is I am just a lowly guitarist and my wife is the keys player in our "band" and we have been using the K1II for years and years and tried other keyboards and come back to the Kawai's sounds - then I got her the Casio recently for the full size weighted keys and 88 full keyboard and she now wanted to see if she could use the Casio for the keys with the sounds from the Kawai. last night she told me she is now afraid I am going to blow up her vintage synth and damage her piano...... yaaaaaaaaaa - the closest I've come to working on the keyboard is changing the battery under power every 4-5 years to keep all the presets! I am actually afraid to tackle this after reading all that has to be done....

Reaction score
Wow Sea - if I may call you Sea? ... I do have both manuals and wow - I appreciate your step by step instructions - now if I just have the guts to try it! May I say - sure sounds like you know this stuff real well!!! The deal is I am just a lowly guitarist and my wife is the keys player in our "band" and we have been using the K1II for years and years and tried other keyboards and come back to the Kawai's sounds - then I got her the Casio recently for the full size weighted keys and 88 full keyboard and she now wanted to see if she could use the Casio for the keys with the sounds from the Kawai. last night she told me she is now afraid I am going to blow up her vintage synth and damage her piano...... yaaaaaaaaaa - the closest I've come to working on the keyboard is changing the battery under power every 4-5 years to keep all the presets! I am actually afraid to tackle this after reading all that has to be done....

Tom, yes SeaGtGruff knows a lot and has help many. But, sometimes it is good to help yourself a little and read the manual when suggested. Then ask the questions that still puzzle you, as by doing both you are taking ownership of your music education too.
It is hard to delve into things that scare us or seem too much they muddy our thoughts.:( I feel the same way too, sometimes. But remember the old adage of "how do you eat an elephant? Answer, " one spoonful at a time" ;).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I didn't respond again until now.

Yes, "Sea" works for me! :)

Actually, in this case making the connections isn't any trouble, since both keyboards have MIDI DIN ports:

From the MIDI OUT port of the Casio PX-350M -- to the MIDI cable -- to the MIDI IN port of the Kawai K1II

And as for the MIDI-related settings on the two keyboards, the Casio isn't complicated-- just set the "Keyboard Channel" to 01 and turn off the "Local Control." The Kawai is more complicated, but if you set the "RCV CH" to 01 (to match the "Keyboard Channel" on the Casio), and turn off the "PGM" option, then you can let your wife select whatever patch she wants to play. :)

Reaction score
You all have been helpful - I will give it a try - just need to go over the detail more - thanks so much - I will report back - have a long weekend coming up - will hopefully get the nerve to try it then.

Ask a Question