X-Stand depth

Reaction score
Question about the best suited X-Stand.
For example : suppose the depth of an 88-note keyboard is around 28 to 30 cm, which X-stand would be best suited in terms of stability.
The K&M Rick and K&M Rick 20 are identical, except for the depth of the top holders, which is 25 cm for the Rick 20 and 35 cm for the K&M Rick (they're both double-braced stands).

Is it better to have the keyboard overlap the 'tubes' that hold it, or the other way around ?

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I would say that width is more critical than depth, but it's better to have the bars extend a little beyond the front and back of the keyboard, preferably with the rubber ends of the bars being able to hold the keyboard in place so it doesn't slide around while you're playing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The best suited X-Stand for an 88 keyboard is a Z-Stand or a Table Stand or an A Frame.

Virtually ANYTHING is better for 88 keys than a crappy X-Stand. Especially if you are tall and/or play standing up.

That's all I have to say and now I shall unfollow this thread before it devolves into a pointless discussion where you ignore everyone's advice and do it your own way anyway... :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, the depth of the feet determines how stable the stand will be as far as rocking forward and backward.

But the depth of the top holders can determine how well the keyboard is held in place.

If the distance between the front rubber end piece and the back rubber end piece isn't far enough to hold the keyboard and keep it from slipping around, pull it forward until the back of the keyboard is caught by the back rubber end pieces. That way the keyboard will be less likely to slide back while you're playing it.

Reaction score
But the depth of the top holders can determine how well the keyboard is held in place.
In my experience Michael it’s more the placement of the rubber sleeves than the depth of the top holder, as you’ve sort of suggested. The depth of the holder itself is pretty much irrelevant to stability.

I once played a gig using a borrowed X-stand with NO rubbers on the top. Not good. I had gaffa tape with me so I fashioned a sticky surface so my keyboard didn’t slide away in the heat of the moment.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, if the top bars are too long then I like to move the rubber sleeves inward if possible, to try to hold the keyboard more snuggly.

Some stands also have those L-shaped pieces on the ends of the bars, and if the stand is just the right depth for the keyboard it will hold the keyboard in place very nicely.

And then there are those "piano body" stands that let you turn your keyboard into what looks like a miniature grand piano-- a variation on the table stand, I guess! :)

Ask a Question