Yamaha EZ-150 Driver install issues

Reaction score
Hey, i've had a keyboard for years but was never interested in playing until recently, I have a Yamaha Ez-150 its pretty dated by today's standards but even in the early 2000's people were using midi's so this must support computers in some way.

The computer recognizes the keyboard and the cable claims to successful install USB generic drivers but the yamaha driver installer cant find my keyboard resulting in a 25001 error "no device connected"

Cable:
Drivers:

Device manager is listing as a Generic SM Bus controller so it recognized the keyboard is connected but not that its a keybaord
No drivers are installed.

All i wanna do is play a program called Synthesia

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Unsure why the cable link says robot check, it takes you to a amazon page.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The EZ-150 has MIDI IN/OUT ports, whereas the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver is for models that have a USB-MIDI (or USB TO HOST) port.

If you use a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable to connect a keyboard's MIDI IN/OUT ports to a computer's USB port, you either shouldn't need to use a USB-MIDI driver at all, or should use whatever USB-MIDI driver was written for the MIDI-to-USB adapter cable.

Have you tried using the keyboard without the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, make sure the MIDI IN plug on the cable is connected to the MIDI OUT port on the keyboard, and that the MIDI OUT plug on the cable is connected to the MIDI IN port on the keyboard. I know it seems counterintuitive, but IN goes to OUT, and OUT goes to IN.

Reaction score
By the way, make sure the MIDI IN plug on the cable is connected to the MIDI OUT port on the keyboard, and that the MIDI OUT plug on the cable is connected to the MIDI IN port on the keyboard. I know it seems counterintuitive, but IN goes to OUT, and OUT goes to IN.

I can't thank you enough! Your wisdom must be immense to solve that for me so quick! This was my problem. I don't know anything about music instruments. Thank you again!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
This is a very common mistake, because it seems backwards from how things usually work:

"Connect the green plug to the green jack and the red plug to the red jack," or "Connect A to A and B to B," etc.

But in this case, the signal coming OUT of the keyboard needs to go IN to the adapter cable (and from there into the computer), and the signal coming OUT of the adapter cable (and OUT of the computer) needs to go IN to the keyboard. So, you need to connect IN to OUT and OUT to IN:

keyboard MIDI OUT => => => MIDI IN of adapter => => => USB of adapter => => => computer
keyboard MIDI IN <= <= <= MIDI OUT of adapter <= <= <= USB of adapter <= <= <= computer

Ask a Question