Yamaha PSR e333 - can you turn off 'easy chords'

Reaction score
I have just bought a PSR e333 and don't want to use one finger chords - but I can't find out how to turn this feature off and still have an accompaniment. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think you can turn off the "easy chords" feature on the PSR-E models or change it to another type of chordal recognition.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to play the accompaniment rhythm without having to play the other parts of the accompaniment (bass, chords, pads, and phrases), you can select the "Stop Accompaniment" option. I believe that causes the split section of the keyboard to play chords using a "strings" sound, but I think you can change it to another sound by turning on the Split Voice and changing it to something else. And if you don't want to use the Split Voice at all then you can set the Split Point down toward the far left end of the keyboard so that the Main Voice and Dual Voice span almost the full width of the keyboard.

Or, if you do want to use the other parts of the accompaniment but you want to play your own "full chords" fingering, just play the chords using as many fingers/notes as you wish. The keyboard will still use its chord-recognition logic to try to determine what chord you're playing so it can change the accompaniment accordingly, but you won't be limited to the just the four "easy chord" chords (major, minor, seventh, and minor seventh). The keyboard should be able to recognize something like 35 different chords, although some of them aren't necessarily "chords" per se (e.g., there are chords for "octaves" and "fifths").

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Maybe the OP wants just the drums only as acmp.
In which case . . Select a style (blues beat or rock or waltz whatever) and turn off ACMP also turn off auto fill in and ots if you have these features.
Hit the start button or sync start and the beat will play. You can play all the bass notes normally same as the treble notes. There will be no split and there will be no chord change. Adjust the tempo to suit.

Ray

Reaction score
Thank you very much folks for your helpful replies. I have much to learn, but having played around a bit more, I think Michael is right and although you can't actually turn off 'easy chords' by playing 3 or 4 fingers, you can see if it recognizes what chord you are playing. I tried Col's suggestion but holding the Auto Accompaniment doesn't do anything.
Anyway, thanks again and seasons greetings to you all.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
On most of my PSR-E models, holding down the AUTO ACMP button takes you to the SPLIT POINT function setting.

Yamaha styles can recognize about 35 different types of chords. I think they're listed on a page in the keyboard's Song Book. They used to be listed on a page in the Owner's Manual, but I guess Yamaha decided to move that information to the Song Book.

Most chords will be recognized even if you omit a key or two, but some keys are required and the optional keys vary depending on the type of chord. The chord chart in the Song Book shows the optional keys with parentheses around them.

Reaction score
Page 29 of the E330 manual says how.

There is no E333 manual showing on the Yamaha listing

Once in the Menu

Then use the SUB MENU [▲] and [▼] buttons to select the “FngrngMd” function from within the OVERALL menu. The abbreviated name of the current fingering mode will appear to the left of “FngrngMd” on the top line of the display.
2Select the Required Fingering Mode
Use the [–] and [+] buttons to select the desired fingering mode:
● SF: The SINGLE FINGER Mode
Single-finger accompaniment makes it simple to produce beautifully orchestrated accompaniment using major, seventh, minor and minor-seventh chords by press- ing a minimum number of keys on the AUTO ACCOMPANIMENT section of the keyboard. The abbreviated chord fingerings described below are used:
SF FngrngMd

SF
Single Finger
F1
Fingered 1
F2
Fingered 2
FuL
Full Keyboard
MuL
Multi-finger

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The Song Book for the PSR-E333/YPT-330 can be downloaded from here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/con...ntent_data/index.html?k=&c=keyboards&l=en&p=2

However, I couldn't find the 35 chord types in it. They aren't in the Owner's Manual, either!

The Owner's Manual for the PSR-E403/YPT-400 shows the 35 chord types on page 38:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/334403/psre403_en_om.pdf

That page also says that there are two ways of playing chords-- Easy Chords and Standard Chords-- and that the keyboard automatically recognizes both methods at once, which is called Multi Fingering. I'm pretty sure this applies to all PSR-E and YPT models

Ask a Question