Yamaha Stage Piano far too heavy to carry

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am joining a band soon and found that my Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano is ridiculously heavy and cumbersome. Sounds brilliant and plays beautifully but for one person to lug around its a total nightmare.
I thought about selling it and buying something lighter, maybe even sacrifice some sound quality, does anyoone have any advice?
Richie

Ad

Advertisements

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the Roland Juno DS88, Total weight in about 34 lbs. Also not excessively expensive. Very decent sounding pianos as well as various organs, brass, woodwind, synth, etc sounds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I forgot to ask, does the Juno have a reasonably decent Hammon Organ sound? I thought about buying an emulator to drive through the MIDI channel, as these give an accurate rendition, and the band does a lot of songs with this classic sound.But there goes another £180 or so...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It does have a decent selection of organ presets, however, asking whether or not they would satisfy a true hammond freak would be beyond my range of ability.

While it does possess a decent tweakability matrix of parameters it doesn't possess a full range of drawbars.

Likewise the 88 has weighted hammer action keys and not waterfall keys like a hammond.

I'd say that for the odd 70's rock organ style of piece it would perform well enough, but if you are after a pure hammond sound then perhaps you should be looking at adding a rack module such as the Ferrofish B4000+

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050996-REG/ferrofish_b4000_authentic_organ_emulatoe.html

Ultimately you should try and find a Juno DS locally and test drive the sounds for yourself.

Any responses you receive from forums will, be highly subjective.

Gary ;)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I mostly play classic rock in bars or parties on the weekend. None of the drunks I play for could tell a Hammond from a harmonica. Heck, my own band mates call everything I play "piano", as in strings, organ, whatever - it's all just piano to them.

Why do I feel like Rodney Dangerfield... I don't get no respect!

But hey Richard, just buy what sounds good to you like Gary said, and that Juno DS would certainly work just dandy.

My 2 centavos. Oh, and have fun :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I mostly play classic rock in bars or parties on the weekend. None of the drunks I play for could tell a Hammond from a harmonica. Heck, my own band mates call everything I play "piano", as in strings, organ, whatever - it's all just piano to them.

Why do I feel like Rodney Dangerfield... I don't get no respect!

:)

Thanks for that bit of cheer. I almost spit up my coffee with laughter when I read the "hammond vs harmonica" line :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
FWIW --

Take a look at the Casio PX-360, its predecessor PX-350, and the two other Casio stage pianos -- PX-5s and PX560

They weigh around 25 pounds, which is close to minimum weight for _anything_ that has 88 weighted keys. I think the PX-5s has a drawbar-organ simulator built in. They all have full connectivity -- 1/4" Line Out jacks, real 5-pin MIDI In/Out, as well as MIDI-over-USB.

HappyRat's suggestion of a software "clonewheel organ" makes sense. I did a quick look, and came up with this brand-new entry (at $99):

http://gg-audio.com/

But you'd have to accept the trade-off of being dependent on a computer.

. Charles (who owns a PX-350).

Ask a Question