Yamaha YPT-220 - no sound from speakers or headphones

Reaction score
My Yamaha YPT-220 has not been used for a number of years. A few days ago I turned it on, only to find that while the buttons and display work, there is no sound from the speakers. Headphones do not work either. There is nothing plugged into the headphone jack.

Some research suggested that the amplifier chip (BA5417) might have gone bad, so I replaced it, but the sound still does not work.

Inspection of the headphone jack shows some mild corrosion on the inside - I thought this might be the culprit, so I removed the jack altogether, but there was still no sound. I have no idea how the mechanism by which the keyboard 'detects' that headphones are plugged in works though, so I don't know if this rules out the headphone jack being the problem.

Is this a common problem? I have very little experience with keyboards, this is the only one I have ever owned and I'm by no means a musician! Any ideas on what could be causing this?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I was going to ask if you'd done a "factory reset" yet, but apparently there's no need to do that because all of the panel settings and function settings get cleared whenever you turn off the keyboard.

The two most common "software" causes of this problem are (1) that the "M.Volume" function got set to 000-- in which case the styles and songs should still play, unless the "StyleVol" and "SongVol" functions are also set to 000-- or (2) that the "Local" function got set to OFF. You can check those function settings to make sure they aren't the problem, but they should be getting reset to their default values whenever you turn the keyboard off and on, so I doubt that they're the problem.

I don't know much of anything about the hardware side of things, but aside from the PHONES/OUTPUT jack you might check the MASTER VOLUME to make sure there's no problem there, such as perhaps a loose or broken wire.

If you don't already have it, the Service Manual is available to download from the ElektroTanya site. There is a built-in "test program" that you could run to see if it can detect any problems. To start the test program, turn off the keyboard, hold down a C# Major chord in the second octave of the keyboard-- that is, keys C#2, F2, and G#2-- then turn the keyboard on while continuing to hold down the C# Major chord. There is a description of, and instructions for, the test program on pages 21 and 22 of the Service Manual.

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks very much for your reply!

I've checked the various functions, and they're all fine, and as you say it resets anyway when it's turned off, so I'm fairly convinced it's a hardware problem.

The master volume board looks fine, and thanks to that site you mentioned I was able work out how the headphone jack works and confirm that that was not an issue.

I ran some of the pertinent tests mentioned in the service manual, but everything came up as 'OK', so not really sure where to go from here.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to hardware and electronics, so I can't offer any informed suggestions about what might be wrong.

However, if you end up needing to replace your YPT-220 then you might be able to find a working used PSR-E3xx or YPT-3xx on your local Craigslist or similar site. The models in the 300-series have more voices and styles than the models in the 200-series, plus a velocity-sensitive keyboard, which would be a nice move up for not much money.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to pick up an ESR meter and check the electrolytic capacitors in the audio chain.

Also perform a visual inspection for bulging or leaking caps.

Since it sat unused for years there's a good chance that one of the filter caps in the audio output stages has become leaky or shorted.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My Yamaha YPT-220 has not been used for a number of years. A few days ago I turned it on, only to find that while the buttons and display work, there is no sound from the speakers. Headphones do not work either. There is nothing plugged into the headphone jack.

Some research suggested that the amplifier chip (BA5417) might have gone bad, so I replaced it, but the sound still does not work.

Inspection of the headphone jack shows some mild corrosion on the inside - I thought this might be the culprit, so I removed the jack altogether, but there was still no sound. I have no idea how the mechanism by which the keyboard 'detects' that headphones are plugged in works though, so I don't know if this rules out the headphone jack being the problem.

Is this a common problem? I have very little experience with keyboards, this is the only one I have ever owned and I'm by no means a musician! Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Did you manage to resolve the no sound issue, I have the same issue here and wonder what else to try.

Reaction score

Hi, I have the same breakdown with my Yamaha YPT-220. Did you manage to solve this problem?
I also replaced the BA5417 chip, but it didn't work =( . I measured the voltage on the 16v chip, but when I turn on the voltage drops to 8 V. Is this normal?
I also found incoming outputs from the pre-amplifier on the BA5417 chip and connected external speakers with an amplifier, the sound appeared, it turns out the processor is working. Anyone who has encountered this or can advise something will be very grateful.
Guys, how to make a reset on a Yamaha ypt -220?

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2022-01-13_16-36-49-719.jpg
    изображение_viber_2022-01-13_16-36-49-719.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 128
  • изображение_viber_2022-01-13_16-36-49-817.jpg
    изображение_viber_2022-01-13_16-36-49-817.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hi Aizyk, how did you determine these to be the problem ?
All three or just the one with the cross ?
Are they on the amplifier board ?

Reaction score
Hi Aizyk, how did you determine these to be the problem ?
All three or just the one with the cross ?
Are they on the amplifier board ?
I looked at the capacitors on my amplifier board and initially I thought one had been glued as additional measure against vibration but when I removed it to test, it was faulty. Replacing it with a new one solved my problems too. I read that in the 70's there are now recognised many faulty capacitors that were made, so I'll look more closely in the future too !

Reaction score
hello, I think I have the same issue and would like this fix but I don't know what to buy. If I search "capacitor" on music stores I only see guitar stuff pop-up... Could you please let me know what specific product (name, type) I should buy to try out above fix? Thanks in advance.
I am looking for a solution for my son's keyboard but have no technical clue/knowledge :)

Reaction score
hello, I think I have the same issue and would like this fix but I don't know what to buy. If I search "capacitor" on music stores I only see guitar stuff pop-up... Could you please let me know what specific product (name, type) I should buy to try out above fix? Thanks in advance.
I am looking for a solution for my son's keyboard but have no technical clue/knowledge :)
The capacitor may have some writing or numbers on it that say what capacity it is.

Then Radio Spares or CPC or any other Electronics Component supplier should be able to supply.

That said and as you say you have little tech knowledge I suggest you take it tyo a repair shop or trash it and buy your kid a new one since they only cost £125 and a Tech will probably charge £50 just to look at it so it is hardly worth the effort.

Ask a Question