Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver Error

Reaction score
Hi,

I try to use my Yamaha PSR-E363 as a MIDI controller on my PC (Windows 10), but the driver can't install successfully.
Actually, I plug in the piano to my pc by USB (cable working properly), i turn on the piano, and i can hear Windows detects a new device.
But when I run the setup.exe of the driver (named USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 for Win 10/8.1/8/7 (64-bit) on the yamaha's site), after 3 or 4 ordinary steps, the installer meets an error "Yamaha USB-MIDI driver error" "no device is connected. Connect a device and try again. etc.".
I can see the "Digital Keyboard" in the Device Manager, but it appears twice, and one of them is with a yellow triangle sign meaning like "caution". In the properties it says "this device cannot start" (sorry for the maybe incorrect translations, i see it in french for real). Of course, I already tried to update the driver from the Device Manager, unsuccessfully.
In my Windows settings, in Bluetooth and other Devices, I can see it called "Digital Keyboard", with a second line "Driver error"
I finally see on my piano screen is written <Update>.
Would anyone have an idea ?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
See if you can uninstall the driver.

Then see if you can use the keyboard with the computer without installing the driver at all. The PSR-E363 should be class-compliant, so it shouldn't need the driver.

Reaction score
My bad.
Can't understand why the driver is proposed then .. it's not on other Yamaha keyboards that are class-compliant.
Thanks yet, it works better, driver uninstalled. No more <Update> displaying on the keyboard.

Best regards

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Apparently the driver is sometimes needed even if the model is class-compliant, and you should be able to install the driver and use it with the keyboard anyway. I'm not sure why it's giving you problems, but if everything works better without the driver then it probably isn't worth trying to diagnose the problem.

Reaction score
Remi

The driver you were originally trying to use will not work, at all, with the PSR-E363, because the PSR-E363 has the capability of transfering both MIDI and AUDIO over the USB connection to the computer. That driver will not work with any of the Yamaha keyboards that have both of those capabilities. If that driver just would not install, at all, with an appropriate error message, it would make everything much more apparent, but it does install, does not work, and prevents the generic "Class Compliant" USB-MIDI driver, that you are currently using, from working. That is why, once you uninstalled that driver, the generic "Class Compliant" driver was able to work, and you got a connection. This will be important if you ever want to also use that USB connection to your computer as an AUDIO as well as a MIDI connection. In that case, you will need to download and install the Yamaha-Steinberg driver. For complete information on all of this, see the "boxed" information, and all asterisked notes, in bold print, in the middle of Page 5 of the "Computer-related Operations" guide that came with your PSR-E363.

Sorry about all of this, but this is what happens when the technology advances and no longer fits the "one size fits all" solutions that have worked just fine for the past few years. As the saying goes: "That's the price of progress!".

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Ted, that is spot-on. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me.

And Remi, you do want to install the Steinberg driver, because even though you don't need it for transferring MIDI, you'll need it to transfer audio. Whether or not you currently have plans to do that, it's really nice to be able to play your computer's audio through your keyboard's speakers, or have your keyboard's audio go to the computer so you can record it.

Ask a Question