Yamaha USB-MIDI driver fails during installation (error code 25001 Device Not Connected)

Reaction score
I just purchased a Yamaha DGX600 but I cannot use the MIDI capabilities because the driver fails during installation. Searching online. I see this error code has been showing up for several years. Is there a working driver out there that anyone knows of? I've contacted Yamaha customer support twice and both times the people I chatted with had no clue what the problem was and told me someone would call me. That was a week ago and I haven't heard anything. Help!

PS- I'm running Windows 10. Also, the drivers come in 32 and 64 bit flavors and neither works (the 64 is the one that should be installed).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/m...ble_grand/dgx-660/downloads.html#product-tabs

Is the driver page that comes up for me.

Downloading the driver and installing it before connecting the DGX would be the normal process, then when connecting the keyboard you may need to point Windows to the location where the Diver has been installed.

But what I would try is to download the driver and place it in a newfolder called DGX660 on your C drive, then go into Control Panel and call up Device Manager, ID the DGX and then open Properties, Driver and choose Update. Then select Manual install and pointit at the DGX folder, the driver should then install.

If it does not work with the 64bit version try the 32bit.

If it does not come back and we will advise another process.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Before you do anything else, you’ll want to completely uninstall the driver. Go to the Apps page of your Settings and wait a minute or so for the list of installed apps to be populated, then scroll down until you see the Yamaha driver listed, click on it, and select uninstall. (I’m not in front of my Windows computer right now so I’m going by memory. If you have trouble finding it, I’ll look on my computer so I can give more specific detailed instructions.)

Are you sure it’s a DGX-600, or did you mean to type DGX-660? There’s no DGX-600 listed on Yamaha’s web site. It doesn’t matter as far as which version of the driver to use, but I wanted to check whether it has MIDI DIN ports or only a USB TO HOST port.

If it’s actually a DGX-660, you might not even need to use a driver with it, because it should be class compliant. What software are you trying to use with it? Does it show up as an available MIDI device even without installing a driver? (It will most likely be listed as “Digital Keyboard,” “Digital Piano,” or something like that, rather than as the specific model number.) If it does show up, you don’t need to worry about installing the driver— although you can still install it if you wish.

Even if the keyboard doesn’t show up as an available MIDI device with no driver installed, it should at least show up in your Windows system (under Devices) as an unknown USB device. If it isn’t showing up at all, then the next step is to verify that you’re using the correct type of USB connection.

You MUST use a USB 2 cable, NOT a USB 3 cable. I think you can tell them apart based on the color inside the connector— I think USB 3 cables and ports usually have blue parts inside their connectors. (If you aren’t sure what to look for, search for “how to identify usb 3.”) It is probably also best to plug the USB 2 cable into a USB 2 port, rather than into a USB 3 port— but if your computer doesn’t have a USB 2 port, then at least be certain to use a USB 2 cable. If it turns out that you’ve been trying to use a USB 3 cable, then that’s most likely the problem right there, and switching to a USB 2 cable may resolve the connection issue.

By the way, you also want to make sure you’re using a good USB cable, because the wires inside of a cable can get broken, especially if you’ve been winding and unwinding the cable a lot when putting it away and getting it back out. Try using the cable with some other device to verify that it’s working properly.

If you do need or want to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, then first make sure you’ve uninstalled the failed installation. Furthermore, before you try to reinstall the driver you must make sure the keyboard is connected to your computer, is turned on, and is detected as a USB device.

The version of the driver that you choose— 32 or 64 bits— must match your operating system, so if you have a 64-bit OS then you must use the 64-bit driver.

You want to use the newest version for Windows 10, since that’s the version of Windows you have. (An older Windows 10 version might also work, but the newest version is always best in case there were any fixes that might have an impact.)

Install the driver while the keyboard is connected and turned on, and the driver should be able to find it.

If these suggestions don’t help, please let us know so we can take it from there.

Reaction score
Welcome.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/m...ble_grand/dgx-660/downloads.html#product-tabs

Is the driver page that comes up for me.

Downloading the driver and installing it before connecting the DGX would be the normal process, then when connecting the keyboard you may need to point Windows to the location where the Diver has been installed.

But what I would try is to download the driver and place it in a newfolder called DGX660 on your C drive, then go into Control Panel and call up Device Manager, ID the DGX and then open Properties, Driver and choose Update. Then select Manual install and pointit at the DGX folder, the driver should then install.

If it does not work with the 64bit version try the 32bit.

If it does not come back and we will advise another process.
Thank you. I will try your suggestion.

kw

Reaction score
Before you do anything else, you’ll want to completely uninstall the driver. Go to the Apps page of your Settings and wait a minute or so for the list of installed apps to be populated, then scroll down until you see the Yamaha driver listed, click on it, and select uninstall. (I’m not in front of my Windows computer right now so I’m going by memory. If you have trouble finding it, I’ll look on my computer so I can give more specific detailed instructions.)

Are you sure it’s a DGX-600, or did you mean to type DGX-660? There’s no DGX-600 listed on Yamaha’s web site. It doesn’t matter as far as which version of the driver to use, but I wanted to check whether it has MIDI DIN ports or only a USB TO HOST port.

If it’s actually a DGX-660, you might not even need to use a driver with it, because it should be class compliant. What software are you trying to use with it? Does it show up as an available MIDI device even without installing a driver? (It will most likely be listed as “Digital Keyboard,” “Digital Piano,” or something like that, rather than as the specific model number.) If it does show up, you don’t need to worry about installing the driver— although you can still install it if you wish.

Even if the keyboard doesn’t show up as an available MIDI device with no driver installed, it should at least show up in your Windows system (under Devices) as an unknown USB device. If it isn’t showing up at all, then the next step is to verify that you’re using the correct type of USB connection.

You MUST use a USB 2 cable, NOT a USB 3 cable. I think you can tell them apart based on the color inside the connector— I think USB 3 cables and ports usually have blue parts inside their connectors. (If you aren’t sure what to look for, search for “how to identify usb 3.”) It is probably also best to plug the USB 2 cable into a USB 2 port, rather than into a USB 3 port— but if your computer doesn’t have a USB 2 port, then at least be certain to use a USB 2 cable. If it turns out that you’ve been trying to use a USB 3 cable, then that’s most likely the problem right there, and switching to a USB 2 cable may resolve the connection issue.

By the way, you also want to make sure you’re using a good USB cable, because the wires inside of a cable can get broken, especially if you’ve been winding and unwinding the cable a lot when putting it away and getting it back out. Try using the cable with some other device to verify that it’s working properly.

If you do need or want to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, then first make sure you’ve uninstalled the failed installation. Furthermore, before you try to reinstall the driver you must make sure the keyboard is connected to your computer, is turned on, and is detected as a USB device.

The version of the driver that you choose— 32 or 64 bits— must match your operating system, so if you have a 64-bit OS then you must use the 64-bit driver.

You want to use the newest version for Windows 10, since that’s the version of Windows you have. (An older Windows 10 version might also work, but the newest version is always best in case there were any fixes that might have an impact.)

Install the driver while the keyboard is connected and turned on, and the driver should be able to find it.

If these suggestions don’t help, please let us know so we can take it from there.
Sorry for the typo. I have the DGX-660. I have no Yamaha software currently installed on my computer (an HP Envy 64 bit core i7). This is the USB cable I am using https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/Essential-USB-20-Data-Cable.gc

The cable is brand new, as is the piano. I got all of it last week (the DGX-660 is fantasic...)

When I plugged it into my computer I seem to recall my computer didn't see or recognize it. My DAW is Reaper and a check of the properties doesn't list anything about Yamaha being a driver choice. Nor is it recognized under the MIDI devices. I searched the Yamaha website and found the MIDI driver. I thought that would solve my problems... but when I try to install the driver it fails. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed that driver and been able to facilitate MIDI connectivity from/to their Yamaha keyboard.

Beyond that, I will attempt the procedural gyrations suggested above. Thanks for the assist. This is a cool site.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, I have both the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver and the Steinberg USB driver installed on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer— the latter for my Yamaha PSR-EW400 and MX49 BK, which have USB audio as well as USB MIDI— and they both work great with my Yamaha keyboards.

I’m about to go out for the night to join a few friends for a lunar eclipse viewing party, but I’ll look into things later tonight or tomorrow morning to see if I can figure out anything helpful.

Reaction score
No worries... whenever you can help is appreciated. Any chance you still have the original download of the driver file? I'd trust a file that I know has successfully run on another computer over a download of unknown quality.

Reaction score
I powered down my PC, plugged in my Yamaha via the USB 2.0 cable, powered up my PC, didn't hear any audible tone indicating a new device... so I unplugged the keyboard (then I heard the sound of a device disconnecting). So I plugged it back in and looked to see the devices active on my PC. This one circled is the Yamaha. There appears to be a disagreement between my keyboard and my computer.

Attachments

• Yamaha midi driver install fail.PNG
    Yamaha midi driver install fail.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,437

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I used to get that message about “Device Descriptor Request Failed” on my YPT-400 when I already had the driver installed for my PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, and then tried to get it to work with my YPT-400. So I think you need to start by checking your list of installed apps to see if the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver is listed (even though it never successfully installed), and if it is listed then uninstall it. After that you might find that the keyboard is recognized.

Reaction score
Try pressing the Windows Key with X and select Device Manager from the Menu, do not try to use any other method of opening Device Manager.

This will enable you to see the devices and Drivers

Make a note of those that show an error.

Connect your Keyboard and turn it on then look to see your keyboard in Device manager.

Select it and then select Update Driver from the properties menu and point Windows at the Yamaha Driver.

If all is OK reboot your PC and all should be OK.

Check Device Manager

Reaction score
I used to get that message about “Device Descriptor Request Failed” on my YPT-400 when I already had the driver installed for my PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, and then tried to get it to work with my YPT-400. So I think you need to start by checking your list of installed apps to see if the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver is listed (even though it never successfully installed), and if it is listed then uninstall it. After that you might find that the keyboard is recognized.
I have triple checked and there is no Yamaha software installed on my computer. I'll try the suggestion from Mr. Biggles.

Reaction score
I checked my device manager and when I plug in my keyboard I see something register under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". It's listed as "Unknown USB Device" with a descriptor error. When I click on that and attempt to update the driver, I get a message that Windows has determined it is already using the appropriate driver.

I did notice that there is a Yamaha/Steinberg USB audio driver out there. I haven't loaded it yet but I doubt that is going to fix my problem. I need my computer to see the MIDI signals from my keyboard. I can plug my keyboard into my Scarlett Solo interface and capture sound but not the MIDI data. That was the primary purpose for buying this keyboard. :(

Attachments

• driver devices.PNG
    driver devices.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 2,166
Reaction score
Breaking News....... I may have identified the problem. It could be a faulty USB cable. I tried switching the USB cable with the one from my Focusrite interface and my computer was able to see "Portable Grand" as a device. I was also able to record a MIDI track from my DGX660 to Reaper but it won't play back with the sound from my DGX660 (I can add FX plugins to the track and hear those). I think I'll be able to work through the MIDI data transfer issues once I get a new, working USB cable. Thanks so much for the assistance. I'll let y'all know if I get things working.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve heard of people having problems due to a faulty USB cable. In fact, one individual had the same exact problem as you when he tried to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for his PSR-EW300 keyboard (which is also class compliant and shouldn’t need a driver for MIDI), and he went around in circles for weeks before borrowing another USB cable from a friend and discovering that his own cable was apparently faulty.

When you said what cable you were using I figured it must be okay, but apparently not. :(

In any case, it’s great that you’ve identified the issue! :)

Speaking of USB cables, I know there are cheap ones and there are expensive ones with extra shielding, etc. I’ve always had good results with inexpensive ones purchased from Walmart, but lately I’ve been wondering if there’s any advantage (or disadvantage) to getting some that have those ferrite beads near the ends?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Personally I've always used Dollar Store cables without a problem.

For the price you can replace one 5 times over if you ever hit a bad one.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I actually work at Guitar Center and I sell keyboard and pro audio. I'll be sure to let my future customers know that the length of the USB cable certainly matters. Mine was 10 feet which exceeds Yamaha's 3 meter length limit.

Reaction score
I checked my device manager and when I plug in my keyboard I see something register under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". It's listed as "Unknown USB Device" with a descriptor error. When I click on that and attempt to update the driver, I get a message that Windows has determined it is already using the appropriate driver.

I did notice that there is a Yamaha/Steinberg USB audio driver out there. I haven't loaded it yet but I doubt that is going to fix my problem. I need my computer to see the MIDI signals from my keyboard. I can plug my keyboard into my Scarlett Solo interface and capture sound but not the MIDI data. That was the primary purpose for buying this keyboard. :(

Hope the new cable works

Just in case it does not, do the update drive process again but do not let Windows search for the driver since it will come back with what you have experienced which is a generic driver.

You need to not let windows search but to manually select the location of the driver file you want to install.

Navigate to the driver location of the downloadedfile and select that, Windows will then overwrite the existing driver with the correct one and all should be OK.

Now this depends upon what format the Driver file is, if it is a Zip file you will need to expand it to a specific folder if your choice prior to doing the Update Driver routine.

The driver file may also be an executable Zip which means its self extracting to a location you can choose during the extraction pricess.

It may also be an EXE file that is a full installer in which case it should all be OK upon completion.

Reaction score
Hello - created an account just to be able to update this chat forum.
I have had same problems as above.
I did try manually pointing the operating system to the folder where i had downloaded and unzipped the Yamaha driver.
I did reboot.
I did cry.
I swapped the USB-C to USB adapter I had and bingo!
So, my cheapo cable was fine.
(I have a Surface Tablet which only has a USB-C port, so I have a three-way adapter to give a large HDMI, USB-C and USB port.)

Reaction score
P.S. I also have a file ''Yamaha USM-MIDI driver.msi''. If I run it, the message is: Please wait while Windows configure, but it does not actually execute anything.

Ask a Question