Yamaha 635-YPG and Presonus AudioBox USB/MIDI

Reaction score
I know that this is a horrible way to discuss MIDI issues, bare with me, please. My YAMAHA 635 has an USB/MIDI output vs. traditional MIDI I/O.
I just received my Presonus AudioBox USB interface and Studio 1-3 software. I have a dedicated computer just for this task. I'm putting together my hobbyist recording studio and this is the only keyboard that I have that does not have a true MIDI I/O and I want to get this working before I put everything else in place.
Here's my issue:
My USB cable goes from Yamaha to computer
My Audiobox USB cable goes from said unit to computer and vice versa
Headphones in/out from Audiobox - Good (they work)
Monitor speaker out from Audiobox -Good (they work)
My Audiobox shows up in Windows playback and is the default. If I play a major artists song on my computer, the sound comes through my cans and my monitors, as it should.
If I play a note on my Yamaha it comes out through the Yamaha's external speakers only. The recording software and the Audiobox are not receiving any kind of signal according to the software meter.
I do not have a Line OUT running from the keyboard to the monitor. I know that the external speakers are active if that output is not active, but it should be disabled through the USB/MIDI connection.
Has anyone been here and done that? I could really use some help.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I appreciate your input, Fred. I've been trying to run this YAMAHA USB/MIDI on two different machines with two different OS's. All of the drivers have been installed. The exception is the bogus one that I get from MS Win 7 Ultimate - (api-crt-ms-runtime 1-1-0 .dll missing) and, because of this, I can not install the proper software. I have three keyboards that I really like. My Yamaha 635 is my ideal board. The other two are Roland and Korg. Both of them have standard 5 pin MIDI I/O ports.
I'm at an impasse. I can't get any of these vendors to talk to me. Whether it be Presonus or Yamaha, I'm getting nowhere.
At this point, I'm begging the appropriate forums to help me out.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Yamaha's USB-MIDI should definitely go to the computer. If you're having trouble installing the driver for it, I *might* be able to help. Right now I'm off to bed, so it will have to be tomorrow.

Connecting the Yamaha's USB-MIDI to the computer does *not* cut off the sound coming from the keyboard's speakers; this is the correct behavior as far as that's concerned.

If you connect the Yamaha's audio out (PHONES jack) to either the computer's audio in (MIC jack) or to an audio interface (preferred), then the keyboard's speakers *will* be cut off.

What exactly are you trying to use the Yamaha for-- MIDI data only (i.e., as a MIDI keyboard controller), or audio, or both MIDI and audio?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
If you connect the Yamaha's audio out (PHONES jack) to either the computer's audio in (MIC jack) or to an audio interface (preferred), then the keyboard's speakers *will* be cut off.

On my DGX-650, this behavior can be overridden. There's a menu setting that keeps the speakers on even when something is plugged in. That's how I record my playing.

Unfortunately, I don't think the setting sticks when you turn off the keyboard. So each time you want to record, you've got to do it again.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I didn't know that, Fred! I'll check the manual to see if the DGX-630/YPG-635 has that feature, too.

But I think Kevin was expecting the sound to cut off when he plugged in the USB cable, and (as far as I know) it doesn't work that way. For one thing, (as far as I know) the current and past DGX models don't have USB audio, only USB MIDI.

To turn off the speakers' sound when using the USB MIDI, you must either turn the Local setting off, or just turn the Master Volume all the way down.

Using Local Off won't affect the outgoing MIDI data at all, and will still allow the keyboard to play sounds in response to any MIDI data that you send it.

Turning the Master Volume all the way down won't affect the outgoing MIDI data, either, but you won't be able to hear any sounds from the keyboard, even if you've got the audio going out to headphones, loudspeaker, computer, or audio interface.

Reaction score
I didn't know that, Fred! I'll check the manual to see if the DGX-630/YPG-635 has that feature, too.

But I think Kevin was expecting the sound to cut off when he plugged in the USB cable, and (as far as I know) it doesn't work that way. For one thing, (as far as I know) the current and past DGX models don't have USB audio, only USB MIDI.

To turn off the speakers' sound when using the USB MIDI, you must either turn the Local setting off, or just turn the Master Volume all the way down.

Using Local Off won't affect the outgoing MIDI data at all, and will still allow the keyboard to play sounds in response to any MIDI data that you send it.

Turning the Master Volume all the way down won't affect the outgoing MIDI data, either, but you won't be able to hear any sounds from the keyboard, even if you've got the audio going out to headphones, loudspeaker, computer, or audio interface.
The Yamaha's USB-MIDI should definitely go to the computer. If you're having trouble installing the driver for it, I *might* be able to help. Right now I'm off to bed, so it will have to be tomorrow.

Connecting the Yamaha's USB-MIDI to the computer does *not* cut off the sound coming from the keyboard's speakers; this is the correct behavior as far as that's concerned.

What exactly are you trying to use the Yamaha for-- MIDI data only (i.e., as a MIDI keyboard controller), or audio, or both MIDI and audio?

I'm wanting to do both MIDI and audio. For the first time today I actually got the Presonus Interface to take MIDI notes on recording. I'm trying to learn my way around the Studio 1 Artist software. The track played back, but there was no sound. I deleted that track to record something that I could practice with and for some reason it's not getting signal from me again. I'm sure that it's operator error. At least I now know that the signal is going through from my 635 to the computer. Thanks for the help. I've got a steep learning curve here and it's going to be a lot of trial and error.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Many keyboards (and the YPG 635 may be one) do not support audio over USB. In fact, when I look at the manual (http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...amaha.com&category_id=16084&product_id=792251), it mentions nothing about audio over the USB port.

upload_2016-11-18_8-34-47.png

Performance data is live MIDI, going back and forth. The one thing they say is to install the USB-MIDI driver. It's supposed to be on the CD-ROM that came with the instrument, but it's also available on the same page as the manual.

Reaction score
In another thread it hit me that a person may actually be able to rig for midi and audio through USB together or that there may be a device already that has audio and midi in and USB out. Happyrat, I believe found and posted such a device, let me look. He however made the point that the only real gain might be one cable instead of two.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
When you say Studio 1-3, I take it you mean PreSonus Studio One Artist version 3? I have the free edition (Studio One Prime), so I'll post a few notes later about recording MIDI in Studio One. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not really up to speed on what's happening in this thread, but here's the hookups for my own setup.

Basically a recording studio requires both audio and MIDI hookups.

studio-flowchart.jpg

flowchart-MIDI-USB-routing.jpg

This type of hookup works easily as well for a single keyboard as it does for a half dozen.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question