Yet Another old Newbie (almost)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought I had placed a question elsewhere, on this forum, But somehow it was not approved, (I guess)...

So... what does a 79 yr old retired keyboard player, having issues connecting an old Roland G800, to a new standalone software program named B3x?

The program cost me $140.00, but I can't seem to make it work. It is in VST3 format, loaded on a Win 10 machine.

The G800, plays fine in standalone mode, and also when using VST3's in Studio One, via USB midi interface.

However when I try to play the B3x, I get no Midi response.

I can play single notes with the PC keys, and with a Mouse, but that is all.
which as you can surmise, is not conducive to playing chords.

Any and all help is appreciated
Charlie
aka TexasBoondocks

Reaction score
Additionally..........I've had this G800 since 1995, and it has never let me down.
The PC a factory refurbished Dell 1740, running Win10, has 24GB of Ram and a 2TB SSD, utilizing a Presonus Audiobox interface.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Additionally..........I've had this G800 since 1995, and it has never let me down.
The PC a factory refurbished Dell 1740, running Win10, has 24GB of Ram and a 2TB SSD, utilizing a Presonus Audiobox interface.

Buy a Mac?

That antique relic is going to crash and burn for good very soon. :eek:

Back up your files and start saving up for a Mac. :D

Reaction score
Unfortunately, That's not an option, due to Med bills.
Before the time I saved for a Mac they'd be spreading my ashes...
I dislike the MS line having worked on them for over 35 years.

My main PC is now Linux Ubuntu, But the Studio One DAW isn't compatible , which is why I bought the Win 10 PC , and upgraded it to it's current phase.

Remember DOS 4.0, Windows 3.0?
I do.... it was a stand alone. Req'd a 20 MB hdd!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I started out in PC's with a Timex Sinclair 2000, moved to a Commodore 64 then an Atari 1040ST Then the first Micro$haft $h*tbox of many was a 386DX with a whopping 16 Megs of RAM and an 80MB Scsi HD that set me back $2500 back around 1988-89. By 1998 I was disgusted with Windows and started using Linux as my only OS for the next 20 odd years, then hackers pwned that system beyond repair and I went Mac.

If you get a Mac Mini M2 the cost of an Apple recording studio can be reasonable.

I've been working with Logic Pro X for the past year more or or less and now have effectively shifted my workflow to my satisfaction.

Reaction score
I started out in PC's with a Timex Sinclair 2000, moved to a Commodore 64 then an Atari 1040ST Then the first Micro$haft $h*tbox of many was a 386DX with a whopping 16 Megs of RAM and an 80MB Scsi HD that set me back $2500 back around 1988-89. By 1998 I was disgusted with Windows and started using Linux as my only OS for the next 20 odd years, then hackers pwned that system beyond repair and I went Mac.

If you get a Mac Mini M2 the cost of an Apple recording studio can be reasonable.

I've been working with Logic Pro X for the past year more or or less and now have effectively shifted my workflow to my satisfaction.

Reaction score
For me, it was a TI 99/4a after a friend bought a Commodore-64, and we worked with it till the early morning hours..Bleary eyed and then I got a Commodore 128, then some I can't even remember that IBM floppy disk O/S piece of junk I had then it was on to a Dos 2.0 or some such but hell that was what... 50 years ago????
Later, I worked for a PC builder with added value. We built
PC' s from scratch and then offered dedicated programs for shipping companies such as Maersk. This was in the 80's.
programming them in "C" with Borland and MS .

Then as PC's became more and more popular and prices fell... putting us out of business I worked as a PC tech for a while and got hired as a peripheral tech for a multi state Distribution co.They sent me to MCSE school and I became a MS certified systems engineer. Worked for them till they sold the company. It was time then to retire. And I went into building small private airplanes, and what was then called sport aircraft... you "Northerners"... called them Microlights. All this time I moonlighted as a keyboardist, which began after I served in the US ARMY, and taught myself piano from my earlier experiences (1956-7) learning guitar. joined many many bands since , even started and managed a few.
Now I still want to perform, but abhor dragging equipment around, which is why I gave up the drums. Too much Setup,
and teardown. One day I was at a club, and was introduced to a Hammond B3. The group was The Vagrants, and their lead Guitar eventually formed "Mountain"
Any way I was fascinated with the sound and newness of that
rotating Leslie!
OK!! I was from then on, Hooked.

Reaction score
Sinclair Spectrum

Agree with Gary, go and get a Mac and Logic Pro.

Logic is brilliant, I am more or less new to using a DAW but LPro is so intuitive compare to Reason or Cakewalk and as for the MacBook, it just works. Even plugging in a MAudio MIDI keyboard controller worked right out of the box and getting the sliders and knobs to work took all of a minute.

Reaction score
Sinclair Spectrum

Agree with Gary, go and get a Mac and Logic Pro.

Logic is brilliant, I am more or less new to using a DAW but LPro is so intuitive compare to Reason or Cakewalk and as for the MacBook, it just works. Even plugging in a MAudio MIDI keyboard controller worked right out of the box and getting the sliders and knobs to work took all of a minute.
Don't get me wrong, the PC works fine, as does the DAW,
and standalone B3x.

It's Just that I don't know how to make the B3x connect with the G800 midi Keyboard, and I'm looking for some assistance with that.

Granted the new Mac may connect out of the box, but so did the G800 when loaded in the DAW. That was just 2 years ago.
Playing VST's thru the DAW is piece of cake but the B3x is a standalone VST program. I got the standalone, so I wouldn't have to drag a desktop PC to a 2 hour jam session.
I could just load it on my Toshiba laptop, if needed.
Remember..... I'm a older dinosaur, not prone to skipping and jumping, :cool:

Reaction score
Does the Hammond have MIDI ports or USB at all?
Ummmm.....
No, the Hammond is software
B-3x.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm.... It seems that I already have a VST host,
in my DAW " Studio One v.5" ( See below)
Which is what I have been trying to connect to in "Windows10"

I'm obviously missing something, here.....
I searched< standalone VST hosts> and got the following, while scrolling thru the 8 best choices

VST host.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Somewhere in your DAW you actually have to load the VST and connect it to your MIDI input device and it may only have certain limitations.

You basically have to ROUTE the MIDI to the VST and route the audio to your speakers.

Every DAW is different.

Look on Youtube for a MIDI tutorial for your DAW on MIDI setup.

Believe me. For a live performance you should use a separate VST Host.

Now I'm checking out of this thread...

Reaction score
Somewhere in your DAW you actually have to load the VST and connect it to your MIDI input device and it may only have certain limitations.

You basically have to ROUTE the MIDI to the VST and route the audio to your speakers.

Every DAW is different.

Look on Youtube for a MIDI tutorial for your DAW on MIDI setup.

Believe me. For a live performance you should use a separate VST Host.

Now I'm checking out of this thread...
OK , Well, thanks for your input

Ask a Question