B3 on Motif XS8?

Reaction score
If you don't get a lot of bites here, you could try the forums at motifator.com. I don't think many of the regulars here have a Yamaha in the Motif series.

As for which type of sound is best, what genres are you trying to play in? I play the B3 with my Nord Stage, which has a really accurate B3 emulation and lets me control the drawbars, chorus/vibrato settings, leslie speed, and such, just as I could on a real B3. So even if I can't point you in the right direction for the Motif, I can at least talk about drawbar positions for the genres you're interested in.

Something you could try, since I think the Motif XS has sampling capabilities, is downloading a good B3 virtual instrument, maybe the Native Instruments B4-II demo, and sampling the organ sounds that you want if the Motif doesn't have anything that suits your needs.

Reaction score
The only problem with download the B3 samples from say NI B4, are that if you're using XS as a standalone (ie, not USB'd into a DAW), then you have to load that sample EACH TIME you need it, as it doesn't retain those samples on powerdown (unless you resample them into XS). That was a big flaw in the ES/XS architecture, as far as I was concerned.

The Vintage C patch is pretty good (so is Cool Cat), and with some tweaking can be a very realistic B3 sim, especially with all 8 slider controls (on XS) being used for the drawbars. I like adding a little more distortion, percussion and adjust the EQ to darken it a little. I've gotten it pretty close to my Hammond Xk3 and Nord Hammond patches, but still sounds a little light when A/B'd to my real B3.

Ask a Question