Keyboard ramblings.

Reaction score
Bored out of my trolley.

My back is playing up so I am limited in what I can do.

I am most comfortable sat at my Computer playing with the latest version of Flight Simulator and realising that my 12 year old computer is being pushed to its limits to run the simulator.

Been looking at my Family Tree research and found that it only takes a few generations to go from a peaceful, hard working Brit to a Southern gun toting redneck who is a fervent supporter of the deposed Ex President, needless to say we are not following up in making contact with these distant Cousins, at least my Cousins in Oz and Canada are sort of normal.

Still I a digressing and rambling to much.

Keyboards, as a guitarist life was so easy, well it was to someone of my somewhat limited ability, one guitar, one pedal board, one amp and an infinite array of sounds. Does a keyboard player have that luxury, no, there are dozens of keyboards and synths to confuse the heck out of you,

Much as I enjoy the sound of my one and only DP keyboard its very limited palette of sounds has long been exhausted and it is tine for a change, but a change to what?

I do like having hammer action keys, far better than the wishy washy keys that were on my two 61 key Korgs. But what do I go for bearing in mind that it is more than likely that I will become bored with it in a year or two.

Rather than sell on the DP my first thought was to buy a cheap arranger to supplement the DP. So I watched all the get you started videos for a Casio CT X5000, and have to say I am sort of impressed with them, a lot of button pressing but once a Registration is set up access to them is pretty quick and easy.

I then looked at a Roland RD88 (still am looking), and then at a Kawai MP7SE but found to many reports of issues with that model. Then started looking at DP’s with arranger functions and in particular the Korg XE20 which does seem an OK keyboard but I cannot understand why Korg would include quite a lot of electric guitars and yet not include a pitch bend in the keyboard, one dealbreaker there. Yamaha DGX er no, to many issues, at least for me, so the best of the bunch looks like the Casio S3000, same action as the S1000 that I tried and whilst I found the Yamaha and Roland actions better the S3000 would be a smart looking keyboard, my only reservation is the lack of proper MIDI which is something I would prefer for future proofing if and when I get a better arranger.

Or do I just go with an 88 key workstation, which is either one of the old Roland FA or Juno DS models or a Korg Kross 2 88, the advantage of the Kross is I know my way around the OS and it does have considerably more drum patterns than a Juno plus my local music store is selling off an ex demo unit. Hmmn.

It is when you start to look for new kit and exclude a synth that you realise that whilst there are a fair few models out there, there is a considerable overlap and there is not a one size fits all nor is there a keyboard that fits the bill at a price that is manageable.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Once I was happy with my Kurzweil as my master controller, I started seeking out mini synths and modules.

(cheap if you are buying used gear.)

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
I've been there just before Christmas. So many choices but none really suitable for what I needed. 88 keys, master controller, hammer action, pitch an mod wheel, some proper sounds for gigging, few sliders and buttons and DAW friendly workflow. Is that really to much to ask in 1000 EUR range?

You would think that unloading almost 4000 EUR for Genos would cover that properly but no. In 2017 at the time of release they forgot to include audio-midi over USB. Why?
Korg Pa1000 and 700 doesn't have wav or aiff format. Why? BTW did you know tha "Pa" stands for professional.
Roland released a MIDI 2.0 controller with buttons but not a single slider. Why? Who is going to use that crap for DAW orchestration?
And finally don't let me start with CASIO idiots. They clearly run their business completely blind.

I know I sound like broken record but its beyond me why they insist in this "good enough policy" when it comes to music keyboards. The world is way past 80's. Its ludicrus to insist on "home" and "professional" division especially now that you can run a whole DAW music production on tinny ARM processor.

Anyway that's my experience-frustration with music keyboards so far and I am only a beginner. I could only imagine what professionals go trough. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

I have tried lots of different keyboards/synths overt the last 2 years and in the process spent a lot of money but I am now at the age of 73 years old and had a long hard look at what I actually do with my keyboards ? Well I no longer play live anymore and very unlikely to in the future , and I dont record and post as much music as I used to, so after having various arrangers and synths I currently only have a Korg Kross and that gets used for everything, but the one big thing I have discovered is VSTs they are so many and lots for free so for me now its the Korg Kross used as a midi keyboard , the Korg Nano Kontroller as a Surface controller and VSTs as its a whole new world and in lots of ways very much easier to get a quality recording, I am not advocating this is for everyone but it works for me

Brian

Reaction score
Once I was happy with my Kurzweil as my master controller, I started seeking out mini synths and modules.

(cheap if you are buying used gear.)

Gary ;)
My brother wants to get a Kurzweil PC 88. He is in the UK and has seen a few for about $400... I must say, I was very impressed with the sounds it had to offer!

Reaction score
I've been there just before Christmas. So many choices but none really suitable for what I needed. 88 keys, master controller, hammer action, pitch an mod wheel, some proper sounds for gigging, few sliders and buttons and DAW friendly workflow. Is that really to much to ask in 1000 EUR range?
Roland released a MIDI 2.0 controller with buttons but not a single slider. Why? Who is going to use that crap for DAW orchestration?
And finally don't let me start with CASIO idiots. They clearly run their business completely blind.
The RD88 has 8 assignable knobs. You could also look at the DS88 which has a mix of sliders and knobs.

What's wrong with the Casio PX-5S?

You might find a MODX8 not too far over budget. Kurzweil PC4 would be a better MIDI controller, but that starts to really stretch the budget.

Though as Fellwalker said, a NanoKontrol or similar adds butons/knobs/sliders to everything. That kind of modular approach is a good way to help people find the combination of things they need at the budget they want to be in. So then yes, Kross and Krome become possibilities, and maybe Kurzweil SP6...

Ask a Question