My sad key playing

Reaction score
I'm not a keyboard player so it literally takes me weeks (or just days) to play correctly (ie: not too many mistakes) until I can play things all the way through in order to keep on the recording. I've got a small (non-computer) recording setup (a Korg D3200 deck) and use a Korg X50 synth. I'm attempting to use more orchestral sounds in my new tunes sometimes writing completely on the keyboard.

Well, here's my newest idea (drum machine & synth, no guitars), just a short repeating riff piece i've yet to finish mostly due to a bad back so sitting for long periods doesn't help.
http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/music/songs/lassiter_canyousee.mp3

and this one:
http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/music/songs/lassiter_willissong.mp3
is an almost finished (just need to finish writing the lyrics) slow love song-ish tune but has no vox yet. It's a tune from my musical comedy stageplay sequel - this one took me 2 weeks to record because i'm that bad at playing the keys. Drum machine, bass guitar & the rest is the synth.
-Jim

Reaction score
I couldn't get the first link to work, but great job on the second song. I bet your keyboard skills improve rapidly. Do we get to hear it again when the lyrics are added?

Reaction score
I fixed the first link, thanks for to compliment!

i've got the first verse and chorus lyrics written to Willis' song then I had writers block...;>)
I keep coming up with more musical ideas than lyrics lately but mostly sit in a funk of pain med depression wishing I had access to a full orchestra that would be willing to put up with a musically illiterate musician...;>)

i've no idea when i'll finish anything as i'm still trying to figure out the lyrics & stage directions for my tavern sequel intro tune:
http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/music/songs/lassiter_TATS2intro.mp3
it's a rough 'idea' recording (ie: made up on keys as I went along and going blind while staring at all those white keys...) that I managed to play crummy electronic drums (Alesis DM5) on. Once i get past that song, i can start writing the script.

And if your 'that' bored....;>)
http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/tavern/index.html

Man, I really need a keyboard player...
-Jim

Reaction score
They sound good... The intro sounds a bit too edgy at the beginning, compared to the rest of it. But you've got something to work with instead of a blank page.

Maybe you just need a short diversion. Cover and let simmer on low for a few days. Try not to think about it. See what you've got when you come back to stir...

Reaction score
It's been about a year or so with some tunes sitting moldering in the background...;>)

Mostly it's my back that I had operated on (again) this past June - fusing L4 & L5 & bolting it to S1 which was fused with L5 many years ago. It's just really hard to get motivated and work through the pain (hopefully the pain comes through in the music!).

Too many ideas... not enough meds...;>)
-Jim

Reaction score
It's been about a year or so with some tunes sitting moldering in the background...;>)

Mostly it's my back that I had operated on (again) this past June - fusing L4 & L5 & bolting it to S1 which was fused with L5 many years ago. It's just really hard to get motivated and work through the pain (hopefully the pain comes through in the music!).

Too many ideas... not enough meds...;>)
-Jim
Had the same surgery 20 years ago. was thinking to get more surgery just for the meds...lol...
Well letting them simmer is good but letting them rot is a little different, unless you like Kimchee, then you're in business.

Music will take the pain away, I found my kboard playing and writing kept me so occupied that the pain and the time just flew by, and when it did flare up I just turned the kboard back on and tried to play something, anything to take my mind off the pain. Every litle thing helps but the easiest thing to do with pain (in my case) is try to take your mind away from the thought of pain and overload your mind with other stuff. So you don't have time to feel the pain, I believe this is true, sort of like a block or rechanneling the energy used for hurting back into creative power.
Good luck in your search, It is there somewhere...
If it gets worse PM me and I will send you a copy of my sisters country CD. Then you will know what REAL pain is...8 songs, three chords, 4 notes that are on key, two guitars that aren't even close to being in tune and a banjo player that should practice for another year and then cut his fingers off. it is just like physical therapy, you get up and jump up and down on the CD until it is broken into a million pieces and you will feel soooo much better....just a thought...

Reaction score
I've got old band tapes that sound just like that...;>)
Come to think of it, some of my new stuff sounds like that too...
I pretty much try & get basic house cleaning done everyday and then I pay for it for days afterwards. I keep my guitar and a small amp next to my recliner and fart around on that a few times a week when the mood hits me. Never as much as I should. Maybe i'm running out of 'guitar' ideas which is why it seems to be so easy to sit at the synth and be inspired.

I used to have a Yamaha DX100 synth i messed with a few times (using the powerbrass sound on a few old tunes) but that just sat around for decades gathering dust. The Korg is awesome and I love the ability to get the orchestral sounds i've always heard in my head.

Well, tomorrow should be interesting as there should be about 4" of snow come morning!!!
Maybe I'll write a happy tune about the love of shoveling snow, slipping and falling, stepping in the hidden dog poo I missed (sung to the tune of jingle bells: while tracking through the snow, one shoe had fell away, I stepped in something warm, it really made my day...), things like that.

Reaction score
I've listened to all of the 3 songs you've linked, gotta say I really love it, great work :)

Only thing that I noticed that might be worth thinking a little bit about is that every song starts with a few measures of drums only. That's OK and might be a bit cool even in a few songs, but try to avoid doing it in every song :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment but all my tunes are just demos, they always start with a bit of drums. I never try to get a 'radio ready' recording, there's no reason to. Someday when i win the lottery & get a real house with a proper cellar, i'll hire me a drummer...;>)

I just try and get enough recorded to sorta 'get my point across' as to [basically] how the song sorta goes. The recordings are really just a way for me to get the thing down so i don't have to remember how it's played - not that I have a reason to remember how to play anything I write.
If I knew how to write music then I'd have no reason to record stuff
I hope that made sense!!!

I think songwriting is a disease, if you get it then you can't stop...;>)
-Jim

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment but all my tunes are just demos, they always start with a bit of drums. I never try to get a 'radio ready' recording, there's no reason to. Someday when i win the lottery & get a real house with a proper cellar, i'll hire me a drummer...;>)

I just try and get enough recorded to sorta 'get my point across' as to [basically] how the song sorta goes. The recordings are really just a way for me to get the thing down so i don't have to remember how it's played - not that I have a reason to remember how to play anything I write.
If I knew how to write music then I'd have no reason to record stuff
I hope that made sense!!!

I think songwriting is a disease, if you get it then you can't stop...;>)
-Jim
Definitely clear as mud!!
You write songs for what reason?? You wrote the three songs you have here for us to listen to and critique, but you say you don't know how to write music, So you "Sorta" try to get your point across...to whom? and why write if you have no reason to remember what it is.
You are right I don't understand, I am trying to understand though, this post is not in any way trying to belittle your efforts, I can't write at all, just don't have the talent, you can so you are a member of a limited group.
I just don't understand why you write... that's all.

Reaction score
Ah, let me try to clarify. As far as 'writing' music (notation, tabs or reading same) I've never learned - never needed to. I've been playing guitar, bass & drums since about 15, been in the usual classic rock, country & Top40/wedding bands over the years, quitting about 14 years ago due to my back.

I wrote my first country song around 16 and have been writing songs off & on since then using whatever recording equipment I could find to record my tunes with. I've never been one to 'want to be a rock star' or really ever intended to seriously 'shop' my tunes. That's not what's important to me.

For me, music & songwriting is like an expensive hobby (or drug?). I have the songs or song ideas I create and my book collection (I have to read everynight before I fall asleep, another bad habit I suppose..;>)
There's no ulterior motive behind my music, i'm still learning how to take what I hear in my head and 'get it down' on tape (i'm old so I can still call it tape...;>)

Aquiring the synth has enabled me access to many other sound palettes and start moving away from the guitar as my main instrument (a good or bad decision that's still under investigation) and given me a desire to look closer at orchestration - the structure and meaning for the qty of all the instruments - probably not a good thing for a musically illiterate musician...;>)

I'm getting more concerned/interested about the individual instruments of an orchestra and how to fit those into my songs rather than just 'insert' a preset string ensemble in the background (i AM guilty of that to be sure) and even attempting to use piano, once anathema to my cellar band roots...;>)

For me it's not about getting a perfect recording. I've read many similar forum posts where an artist either asks for an opinion about the song but gets critiqued about the recording. They are two wholly different things (I'm not complaing here, just pointing out my own opinion...;>)

Whether the recording is a simple vox & guitar/piano or a full band - the 'song' should be there and be heard. I've heard many crummy recordings online with bad vox, thin mono coffee can recorded sounds and plenty of bad playing but i ignore that (as best I can - who says mine are any better?) and try to hear the song the artist is presenting.

If someone complains about a crappy recording of a pop or clip at a certain point in the song or how a mix could be better, to me their not listening to the song. It's like trying to compare a blues recording from the 50's to a Dream Theatre recording from today, yet no-one's complaining about the crappy sounding old stuff that is still being played on radio today on weekend blues programs. People still love the 'songs' and overlook the recording - recordings which sound like crap compared to what can be done today in a living room.

As far as me posting my own tunes here - I did warn you that my playing was sad, as in a sad attempt to play the keyboard. I never asked for opinions on the recording...;>)

As to why i write songs? Why does a painter paint? Why does a writer write? Why does a fisherman fish? Is there some secret desire to be acclaimed by others or perhaps just looking for advice on how to improve ones skill in a certain area of interest? Who knows...
We are communal creatures at heart (hmm, sounds like a song title...)

As for saying you can't write - I truly don't believe that. Everyone has some form of song ability inside - besides, your here so you have some form of 'musical interest/investment'. If by 'you can't write' that you mean you don't know how to read/write notation, don't let that stop you... look at me (probably NOT the best of examples!!!).

Here's another example using my sorry arse; I'm not a writer, yet i sat down one day back in 2005 and wrote a musical comedy stageplay that my kids high school drama teacher loved and the drama club performed. The story writing was easy (I wrote something I liked first, never worrying about whether anyone else would, the same as i do with my songs), then I spent almost 2 years learning about proper script formatting, rewriting it and condensing it, clarifying it, sharpening it, etc. as I researched and learned more 'about' a script. It was performed in 2007, now it seems that every 'new' song idea I have I can 'see' it as part of a story on stage.

Perhaps it's a new form of inspiration, or a curse. But the desire to create new music is there if for no other reason than needing to eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes i'll hear 2-3 notes from a tv commercial and be inspired and have to run into (limp really, I can't run anymore) the studio (it's really a small spare bedroom) and flesh out this almost fully formed chord progression i now have rolling endlessly around in my head. Hearing harmonies and companion riffs of other instruments. I've got tons of ideas, minutes long - recorded awaiting to be fully fleshed out on my recording deck and many more on cassettes from previous decades. Selfish jams with a drum machine or 4-8 bars of a simple riff that won't be denied...

it's a CURSE i tell ya!
-Jim

Reaction score
Fbeiler47, recognizing it is half the battle, the struggle to even come close is the reward no matter how frustrating... for some, reaching a pinacle of achievment winds up being just the bottom rung of a higher ladder, perhaps instead of trying to come close to something, it may be better just to look inside yourself for the things that are there which you've been looking for already. Such things in your very cool quote below are what everyone tries to achieve and few rarely attain but if you do achieve it, what then? It's the struggle that contains the magic, the road of discovery that is looked upon with wonder (at least in hindsight...;>)
Boy I wish i could remember what it was like the first time I struggled with learing to play, when all was truley new and wonderous!

"Can you play the sound of a newborn's first laugh, or the sound of the look of love in a young girls eyes? Well I can't even get close."

Reaction score
Not too good so far but there's a chorus concert at my son's high school tomorrow night and i helped setup & run the PA/mixer for them today (3 hours). This is an old setup that I managed to find the manual for the mixer online and printed it out the other day. It's one of those situations where no-one knows how to run the thing (no manuals) and the only one who did was the music teacher who left last year. It's a rack mounted wiring mess consisting of the mixer, 2 power amps (why 2?), a cd player, a tape deck and EQ unit.

Today was the first day of all the rehersals for the concert that the setup was used. It was mostly figuring out how to run it correctly, I guess i'm not sitting in the audience tomorrow night! I'm in a lot of pain from running (limping actually) back & forth from the rack on stage to the floor getting levels mixed evenly between the onstage monitors (for the singers to hear the prerecorded music) and the auditorium floor for the mix between the music and singers (a mix of on stage stand mics, handheld wireless and ceiling suspended cardioids). The biggest problem was the damn laptop the drama teacher insisted on using with the mp3's on it. It kept crapping out. The music teacher doesn't know anything about PA equipment but she can sure get the kids to sing like a choir of angels!

I keep getting involved for some reason...
Now if I can just win the lottery, i've got a shopping list of stuff for the school. How much would a new 'proper' theatre cost do you think?

I'm having another MRI tomorrow morning, (it would've been last week except the tech guy couldn't get in because of the weather) to hopefully see what's wrong with my fusion (did I mention i'm in a lot of pain and triple doses of meds are barely keeping it contained? This email really hurts...;>).

I am looking forward to getting the music fund raiser setup tho' - i'm drooling over my Carvin catalogs.... maybe i'll finally get that control booth in the auditorium built I've been dreaming about for the past few years!!!
Imagine, everything in one room! Easy to say, but currently things are a laidout/setup mess and long overdue for an overhaul.

Ya know, with all the back crud i've been going through the past 23+ years, you'd think i'd be good at playing the blues but I seem to be heading more towards Sid & Marty Kroft! My car radio mostly plays classical music now... am I getting old?

I do happen to know that Santa is getting me Gilligan's Island season 2...;>)
A really cool free downloadable keyboard chord finder would be great too as i can't find anything useful online.

Ok, I think i'm ranting now so i'll sign off before (too late!) i start rambling...;>)
-Jim

Reaction score
Very Nice!

Good job!
How long have you been playing or practicing?
I would like to get as good as you!
You have an imagination.
What keyboard and patches do you use.
Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks Gfan, but don't give me too much credit (i'm already in too much debt!). As I mentioned before, i'm not a keyboard player. i don't practice either. When i do sit at the synth, I fart around putting my fingers wherever and see what sounds halfway decent and then I try & see if I can fart around enough to come up with a full song idea.

if I totalled up all my keyboard 'playing time' over the past 28 years, it might be a month or more. Below is my reference chart (for Willis' song from my tavern sequel) i came up with to keep track of how I play a tune so I don't forget where I put my fingers. I then figure out what the notes are and 'punch in' the notes in a guitar chord program I have (Chord Miner) to see what the chords are.
http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/misc/WillisSongchart.pdf

Thank you for the 'imagination' comment, that was very kind of you. I use a Korg X50 synth which has really opened up my 'imagination' enabling me to get those orchestral sounds I hear in my head (more or less) but I am truely incompetent at physically playing the keyboard and very slow when I do (hence the slow songs...;>)

I just try and dial up certain instrument sounds and get a halfway decent arraingement/mix to get my basic song idea across. Because of the Tavern play, i'm trying more to visualize the orchestra pit playing the songs and trying to keep the instrumentation within that 'structure' - not that I have a real grasp of an orchestra but I find it interesting and have been looking a bit here & there for info about orchestras and how their set up in a mix.

I had an epiphany a few months ago, realizing that the qty of orchestral instruments is based on getting volume where before I thought every instrument played different things. Simple and obvious to most people but it was a real 'slap myself inna head' moment for me.

Reaction score
Jim, you're too hard on yourself. How many people have written an entire stage musical, figured out all the stage logistics (take a look at Jim's web site) and a myriad of other details, and seen it performed? Not many, that's for sure. I wish I could do what you are able to do.

Reaction score
Thanks you for (more) kind comments but the play was really very easy (he says as he struggles to just get the first song of the sequel done...;>). First, i wrote something I wanted to see and being familiar with PA's auditorium helped a lot too. Second, i wrote all the songs on acoustic - the only instrument needed to recreate the songs, all the other instrumentation is just frosting on the cake (if I could write the songs, anyone could play them, i'm not that good of a songwriter yet). Thirdly, i made sure there was minimal costume changes, no set changes and kept the CGI to a minimum...

Wait, there was no CGI...;>)

The 'hard' part was converting the story into a stageplay 'format' (i'm still not sure it's exactly correct but the drama teacher was happy). More details about it are on the website if yer interested.

Boy I wish I could get someone else to perform it but it''s too long at 2.5 hours and there's too many guy parts. I'm really hoping for a tv series deal where it'll be a cross between the Monkees, Cheers, the Flintstones and Fraggle Rock and directed by Terry Gilliam with Jim Carrey as the Tavernkeeper and Robin Williams as the Storyteller and each weeks 'song' would be supplied by the awesome talents of artists i hear on the internet, none of this corporate cookie cutter crap on the radio.

Oops, sorry, starting to rant again, my oxy must be kicking in...;>)

So my words of wisdom from my 28 years of music/storytelling/whatever - just sit down and try it, write it, play it. If it makes you happy then your doing all right, if it happens to make someone else happy then it's icing on the cake. Do it because you want/have/need to, not because it's a slim chance in hell thing to make you rich...

I could also be completely and utterly wrong about everything so it's best you don't listen to me...
-Jim

Ask a Question