80's Synth for Cover Band

Reaction score
I've been playing keys for quite awhile, but the 50's rockabilly band I'm in has decided to expand into other decades, including the 80's.

Is there a VST or something I can just load into my Studiologic Numa Compact 2X that has preset 80's synths? Preferably with the name of the song that the synth is attempting to match. Ex) The Cars "Just What I Needed" synth, Flock of Seagulls "I Ran" synth, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Please clarify as to what hardware you currently own or are planning to purchase.

Companies tend to shy away from naming their sounds after artists and songs for trademark reasons.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Please clarify as to what hardware you currently own or are planning to purchase.

Companies tend to shy away from naming their sounds after artists and songs for trademark reasons.

Gary ;)
I'm using a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X as a synth keyboard. I'm playing everything else on a Yamaha s90ES. Yeah, I can see why the trademark concerns would be a thing. Hmm, well maybe something with a lot of presets that I could try to figure out. Is there anyway to just load preset synth sounds on the Numa?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And you think you can load a VST into a Numa Compact?

If you want to run VSTs you need a computer or an iPad to run the software.

You CAN assign either keyboard to act as controller.

But it still needs to run on a computer.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While I'm not thoroughly familiar with the Compact 2X it should tell you quite clearly in the manual what tweaking options you have for the built in voices and FX. If it is capable of loading Samples that would also be an option.

But if there's a great big package of "Rockin' 80's Sounds" or not, I can't tell you if anyone put together an 80's sound bank for the unit. Maybe sniff around on Ebay and you'll get lucky.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And you think you can load a VST into a Numa Compact?

If you want to run VSTs you need a computer or an iPad to run the software.

You CAN assign either keyboard to act as controller.

But it still needs to run on a computer.

Gary ;)
Gary,
I don't think I can load a VST, but I have bought sound libraries for my S90ES that I uploaded onto the board. The sounds were synths made by someone tweaking Yamaha parameters, not samples. Very convenient and no computer needed. Just figured there might be something similar for the Numa 2X. That's all. If I end up getting a recommendation for a good 80's synth VST then I will use my laptop to run it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are hundreds of very good FREE VST's available with a Google Search.

Many of them are excellent and others are so so.

Narrow the search to "80s VST synth" and you should find something that should work.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a lot here depends on what utility software came with the Numa.

If it came with a Patch Editor and a Patch Librarian you could do a lot with tweaking the inbuilt sounds.

If these programs do not exist then don't even bother looking.

If they do exist, search for ".XYZ files" or whatever extension they use for voices and banks.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There are hundreds of very good FREE VST's available with a Google Search.

Many of them are excellent and others are so so.

Narrow the search to "80s VST synth" and you should find something that should work.

Gary ;)
Is there one that you would recommend from the hundreds? After all, in the end I'm looking for a recommendation for a good 80s synth VST.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you plan to perform live with a VST running on a laptop, you may run into software crashes and unresponsive controls.

You might, instead, consider adding an analog synth module to your rig instead. Something like a Deepmind 12D module MIDIed up to your Numa would work splendidly, and would be a much more reliable stage performer.

Sure they cost money, but vintage software is worth a drop of water in a rain bucket. :p

The resale value of hardware lasts.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question