A long but good read

Reaction score
why be a musician? This is quick download from a book by Devon Townsend.
Hope you read it and perhaps get something good from it.

[link removed by Becky]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed the read.

Sadly the link returns ..... access denied.

Is Devin Townsend’s book called Only Half There?

If so, it is on Amazon UK as a Kindle download for £9.99.

Our more or less only national High Street book retailer Waterstones has the hardcover listed as available to order at £40.

Reaction score
Whilst I have never heard of Devin Townsend I did a search and he is here in the UK at Leeds City Varieties theatre in April.

The theatre is an old Music Hall that now has a capacity of c450 and it used to be used for a Vaudeville type weekly TV show called the Good Old Days.

Reaction score
Sorry about that. The book came from a link that I received in an email from Devin's site. Sad to say, I can't read it again either. Something to do with the link being part of the introduction to an online course.
Just thought we'd all enjoy the input from another writer and see how he gets his inspiration and how he deals with the frustration of things like writers block.
I've only in the last couple of years become familiar with Devin Townsend. I think he's amazing. His work transcends music to become a cosmic blend of art and spirituality. It's not for the weak of heart and sometimes he's even confused himself. However, if you can, check out some of his live stuff; the more recent is more accessible; on a big screen tv. His shows are epic. His sound is beyond amazing. And! He's a nutbar! He'll admit it right from the getgo. He's been a Frank Zappa fan from day one. He'll also admit he's nothing like Frank.

I truly have to admit that I really really like what Devin Townsend does. The sheer musicality is to me right off the scale. I equate it with composers like Rachmaninov. To me, and probably mostly only me, he's doing what I would expect modern classical composers would do if they could.
Please check out him and his music.

Ask a Question