A question i should have asked 20 years ego

Reaction score
Hello all.
here is the situation.
i have an old Roland VA-7 with a broken zip drive and a new n-drive in place of the FDD.
the VA=7 has 128 internal styles. but there are about 600 more in a ZIP disk that came with the synth.
here is the problem - the zip disk styles are STH files. and can only be used from the zip drive.
the native roland style file is STL file and i can load it from the usb n-dive.
im looking for a way to use the extra 600 styles. in other words, i need a way to convert the STH to STL (or some other way to use STH without zip drive)
any information will be helpfull

Thank you.
Doron

Reaction score
i dont think you understand the problem. i have the files out of the zip. thats not the problem.
problem is i cant use them in my VA7 as they are STH files and it can only read STL from FDD (or usb emulator)
im looking for a way to convert Rolabd STH to Roland STL.
hope that's clearer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Then google for Roland Style File Converter.

Plenty of likely candidates.

You might even have to get two to transfer between an intermediate file.

Reaction score
you're welcome to try. i did and found nothing.
someone mention a software called EMC style converter but the creator took it off from the web.

Reaction score
As you have tried and failed there is little point in us repeating your months of searching.

Suggest you enjoy your keyboard as is.

Meanwhile, save up for a similar keyboard but you may have to settle for a different manufacturer as Roland’s only Arranger is a bit long in the tooth at eight years old and probably no longer supported.

The only recent Roland product with Arranger features is the FP e50 digital piano.

Reaction score
i have a genos 2 on its way :)
but still there is a special place in my heart for the old VA7. :)
so if anyone here has any information about the format conversion, I will be more then thankful.

Reaction score
An Emulator is an add on device to a keyboard which basically tricks the keyboard into using it as an original component.

eg, if there is an Emulator for your VA it will fool it into accepting it as a Zip drive and your files can be read directly without conversion.

Emulators were/are readily available for old Technics keyboards

Reaction score
oh you mean a usb zip drive emulator for the VA7.
I'm afraid there is no such thing. there is only one for the FDD which I already have.
but as i mentioned, the FDD cant read STH format.

Ask a Question