ADAM Monitor Speakers

Reaction score
Believe me, Gary, if I was not married the whole house would be for my music indulgence lol. I am into Theatre organs too so I would fancy a full-size Wurlitzer in the living room with a Hammond B3 with Leslie next to it:D... have my three keyboard rig in the sunroom and drum set!!... sweet dreams lol

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a quick pic of what I was trying to describe.

studio-b--20210119T183032-0002.jpg

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Believe me, Gary, if I was not married the whole house would be for my music indulgence lol. I am into Theatre organs too so I would fancy a full-size Wurlitzer in the living room with a Hammond B3 with Leslie next to it:D... have my three keyboard rig in the sunroom and drum set!!... sweet dreams lol

Understood. Once they get that ring on your finger, you're no longer an individual.

You become a committee. :p

My condolences. :(

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Yam HS series are decent..... for the money. There lower tier speaker. Its not that their "neutral" as such - but they are a bit harsh to my ears. I do like the HS subs mind, but the tops.... not for me. The mid range is "spikey" rather than "transparent (like the Neumann, Dynaudios and Adams are) and the top end is quite harsh. They do a job for the money.

The Adams are a step up - and if anything there flatter -BUT there not harsh. The midrange is revealing but not fatiguing (the HSs are to my ears). The top end is smoother - not really warmer BUT ribbon tweakers go a lot higher in freq response, and they do have a sweater tone up there because of it. Id be more than happy to listen to music for pleasure with the Adams....not with the Hs's

There are other monitors in the same price range (ish) that are also great. The Dynaudio LDYs are nice (they do an 8" and a 7" - as do the Adam Ax range). Better than those 2 though and your into serious money (the 3 way Neumann and Dynaudios and larger Genelecs).

Id see if you can get somewhere that stock both the Adams and Dynaudios - try both 7" and 8" versions with a sub (any sub really - probably 10" in your size room. The HS is an 8 " and fine for my smaller room).

Are most subs compatible with other brands of speakers?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually most manufacturers sell subs and satellites as a set which (theoretically) are designed to complement each other, but in the real world you can pretty much mix and match one manufacturer's subs with another's satellites.

As long as the numbers stay sane for impedance and max power output pretty much any combination will work.

I have a cheap monoprice subwoofer in my bedroom studio now but I sold off a Mackie 10" subwoofer when I moved in here because the room is literally like 70 sq ft and the Mackie was just bloody overkill.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This looks pretty amazing but it might be overkill
The point is, how much are you able to spend on fidelity.

You could always shell out $20 K for a pair of electrostatic panels but in the end asking us is meaningless until you actually have an opportunity to audition them in a store.

Ask 20 different audiophiles on who makes the best speaker and you will hear 20 different brands and models.

Just don't equate how much you spend with how "good"they will sound.

Just because one is top rated and another is unknown (house brand) doesn't always mean that the cheaper one has inferior sound. Speaker design has become pretty cut and dried in the past twenty years and nowadays the innovations are more in the choice of materials than design choices.

It's all really very subjective. Bring a CD with you with recordings of what you want to hear and listen carefully to each demo until you find the sound that your want.

Right now we're in total lockdown and couldn't do this if we wanted to, but it's common practice for true audiophiles to bring along a test vinyl or CD to make their in store evaluations..

Just don't convince yourself beforehand that if it costs twice as much it must be twice as good. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Some very good points Gary, thank you. There are a few audio stores I will be checking out on Saturday so that will be fun. :)

Reaction score
Well, I ended up going to an audio store near me and they had a small selection that I was interested in. Unfortunately, they didn't have any ADAM monitors in stock but I did get to listen to some, Mackie HR824mk2 8.75 inch, Focal Alpha 65 6.5 inch, and Dynaudio LYD 48 3-way Powered Studio Monitors. I must say that the Dynaudio's were simply stunning! the stereo imaging was wonderful and I am thinking with a three-way I won't need a subwoofer.

I am going to go back in a few days to make my mind up but the Dynaudio's were in a different league!

Ask a Question