Volume on monitors not right with synth

Reaction score
I posted In another thread but realize his is a better place.
I have my Juno DS connected by 1/4” line out HOSS TRS to my new presonus Eris 3.5BT.
‘with the volume knob halfway on both the Juno and the speakers the sound is low. This is a small 10 x 14 room so it should be plenty loud in there.
‘when I use my computer to play music through the speakers they are plenty loud and sound great.
could it be the TRS cables? Or maybe my Juno line outs are in need of repair?

Reaction score
see my original post in the other thread. I added some additional information to it after you read it. layman's terms, your input from the juno is not hot enough, i.e. the signal is too low to adequately drive the speakers. first, try turning up the juno to max volume; if that is still too low, put a mixer in between the output of the juno and the input of the speaker (juno -> mixer -> speaker). make sure the mixer's output is at zero, which is typically when the mixer's output signal visually changes from green to yellow as per the pictures I posted in the original post. The bluetooth that you mentioned most like has a much hotter output than the Juno, hence why the speakers are much louder when using bluetooth.

Reaction score
Ah I see. Ok. In the juno's menu i have the volum set to max which is 127.
I can turn the volume knob up all the way and it sounds ok but nowhere near what the bluetooth sound is.
I guess i could buy a mixer. Sheesh i had no idea i would have to spend so much extra.
WOuld i be better off with an amp?

Reaction score
No need for an amp, just a small mixer in between the Juno and the monitor speakers. I have one for just this issue; I bought it used and have had it for 10 years, still works great. see the link below. slightly larger than a card deck. You could attach up to three stereo keyboards to the mixer.

Rolls MX28 mixer

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went into the menu settings of the juno and realized that in the master output that i changed to +12. also EQ settings there is an option to raise the gain of the frequencies. I adjusted that and it does sound better.
Still I am going to look into the mixer because eventually i will add another keybaord and will need one then.

Thanks for the link. That's super small and easy on the wallet.

Reaction score
Ok i have another question. I have TRS cables but i read that my outputs on the juno are unbalanced.
So is there any danger using the TRS balanced cables? THe input into the presonus speakers is balanced.

I honestly think they don't sound right. Seems kinda echoey. I may return them and get other monitors or an amp.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use TS cables with all my gear ad they sound fine.

If the Presonus is using TRS connections to a TRS cable ad the Juno has TS Outputs then it can indeed degrade sound quality,

Try proper TS cables before you go switching monitors out.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the 25 cent explanation.

A balanced input expects two signals 180 degrees out of phase with each other which it sums at the output.

If the keyboard is sending an unbalanced signal on a TRS cable both signals are in phase and tend to cancel each other out.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I will try unbalanced cables and see if that works. From what I am reading, could be the 3.5 are a little too small and only one is powered.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There is only one amp in the Eris 3.5's but it is stereo and it does drive both speakers.

But agreed it cannot hold a candle to the E5's.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Do you use an adapter on your TS cable to plug into your balanced input on the E5s?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No. I use standard TS cables from the Line Outs on the Juno to the 1/4" Inputs on the E5's.

It works fine for me.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Echoey? Is that the room dynamics ie all hard surfaces

Eris 3.5 has 2 x 25 W
Eris 4.5 has 2 x 25 W
Eris E5 has 70 W
Eris E5 XT has 70 W
Eris E7 has 70 W
Eris E8 XT has 130 W

Amps
Roland KC220 has 2 x 30 W weighs 16 lbs & costs $400
A KC 400 has 150 W weighs 49 lbs & costs $600

You are going to spend far more on an Amp that has headroom than you are with a pair of Monitors, where at least with monitors you can add a Sub-Woofer at some stage.

Reaction score
Echoey? Is that the room dynamics ie all hard surfaces

Eris 3.5 has 2 x 25 W
Eris 4.5 has 2 x 25 W
Eris E5 has 70 W
Eris E5 XT has 70 W
Eris E7 has 70 W
Eris E8 XT has 130 W

Amps
Roland KC220 has 2 x 30 W weighs 16 lbs & costs $400
A KC 400 has 150 W weighs 49 lbs & costs $600

You are going to spend far more on an Amp that has headroom than you are with a pair of Monitors, where at least with monitors you can add a Sub-Woofer at some stage.
It’s a small room about 12x14 with a wood floor a desk , an upholstered chair and wall unit cabinets. I guess maybe I need more soft surfaces in here.

Ask a Question