Adding a 3rd Keyboard...

Reaction score
Ok...so first off I technically have 3 keyboards already. I have a

1. Korg Triton Extreme 88
2. Korg Triton Extreme 61
3. Nord Electro 3

The Korg Triton Extreme 88 has never left my music room in my house. Basically, I use it to be able to sit down, work out ideas...then save them to a memory card and load them in my Korg Triton Extreme 61 to take out.

So the 2 keyboards I really take with me are the Korg Triton Extreme 61, and the Nord Electro 3. I use the Electro 3 mainly for organ. I also use it for EPs and Strings. The TEX (Triton Extreme) has a good palate of sounds. I use it for everything else. What I'm needing is a good #1 keyboard. I guess what I'm looking for is an AWESOME piano sound, 88 keys, a good controller, and I need to be able to load samples in it...for fresh new sounds, should they be available.

I've been looking at the Yamaha Motif XS. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a main keyboard???

Reaction score
Actually, I almost bought the Juno Stage. I had a friend who had that keyboard with some expansion cards in it...but I got the Electo 3 instead. Why did I not go with it??? IMO...the sounds on the Electro 3 are amazing!!! U want a piano...its got em. Just load up ur favorites. U want a Rhodes...its got those too. And they sound GREAT!!! The organs are the best IMO. As close as U can get to a B3 without actually takin' one to a gig. The string samples are really nice. So it covers most of my sonic palate. And my Triton Extreme could cover what it couldn't.
As far as the Juno Stage is concerned...I like that keyboard. Its got a little bit of everything, and does pretty good at it. I just went with the Electo 3...not b/c it does more...it doesn't. I went with it b/c what it does...it does better than most of what is on the market right now.

Reaction score
Actually, I almost bought the Juno Stage. I had a friend who had that keyboard with some expansion cards in it....

What's has he/she got in there and how does it compare to the factory sounds? Did you get a chance to A/B the SRX-11 actually in the Juno itself.

Reaction score
When I heard it...I liked it. I do think they should be the same piano, but for whatever reason I liked the card better. Maybe it was the way the reverb was set. Maybe it was how he had the EQ set on a certain patch. Get it on eBay and try it. If U don't like it...eBay it. U shouldn't really lose money on it. It is a nice piano, but I'd rather have the Nord pianos. They sound very "true".

Does anyone have any suggestions about a MAIN keyboard?

Reaction score
I'm kinda worried about the Kronos right now. I mean, I think the idea is awesome!!!! BUT, in what I've seen...they kinda showcase 1 or 2 acoustic pianos. That's great and all...but there are a LOT of pianos. Different name pianos have different characters. Plus, there is a big difference between a grand and an upright. There's a big difference between a 9' and a 6' grand. I like the acoustic pianos on a Yamaha XS and XF. I love the pianos on the Nord products (Electro 3, Stage, Stage 2). I'm just at a point where I don't see exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe a few opinions would help.

Reaction score
Another expensive option for you to consider. One of the Receptor models loaded with some VSTs. You could get something with a really piano like action to drive it - or see how you get on using one of the keyboards you've got.

I haven't got a Receptor - but that would be my choice if I didn't have a mortgage and a young family.

One last thing - two actually - what are you using to monitor your stuff at home and what do you play though live? Are you hearing the gear you already have at its best?

You have good stuff already.

Reaction score
I think I'll just get a Receptor 2+ with Komplete. I'll just use whatever 88 note MIDI keyboard I can find. Suggestions for that?

Reaction score
Lastly - phone the Muse people and talk to them (or email). It's a big investment you're making. Try and get clear in your mind what you're looking for and in what situation(s) you'll be using it.

It may be that a Receptor loaded with a few key VSTs will suit better than Komplete - if you're inclined to footer and spend time auditioning presets - we may never hear from you again once you start with Komplete.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I have the Motif XS6 and LOVE it! You mentioned it earlier but I didnt know if you've actually played or heard one yet. Check out Motifator.com. You can listen to some incredible examples there. It's been my baby for the last three years and counting.

Reaction score
I like my TEX...but it doesn't have enough MIDI controllers. It doesn't have any faders, not enough knobs, and NO pads. I guess I'll work with what I've got.

And no...I haven't tried either of those. I plan on getting the 750GB or the 1TB Receptor 2+. So I'll have plenty of room for plugins and VSTs. I'm also going to use it for Guitar Rig. I have something I like already...but it wouldn't hurt to have that on there just to have a few "go to" guitar sounds.

Reaction score
I have some access to some of the Guitar Rig stuff via the Kore library. Sounds great - really easy to dial up stuff. You can also do the two amp trick - set the input to run to two different channels and have a clean modelled sound and a lightly overdriven one going at the same time - like two amps - seventies rock riffing where you have the overdrive but with the definition.

Reaction score
The Motif is great. I'd love to have one. I just hate to get it and then use it as a controller. The receptor 2+ is just what I need. Something that I can keep expanding. And with 1TB of space...I can load some huge pianos that sound better than any hardware keyboard.

Ask a Question