Amplifier?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to buy an amplifier for my keyboards and I have a few questions.
First of all is it possible to connect both of my keyboards to one amplifier and 2nd
how do I tell a good one from a bad one, I don't need a monster amplifier but something
good for some smaller gigs and rehearsals. Do you have any suggestions for some
good priceworthy ones? Thanks ^^

Reaction score
Well I was thinking of something around 300 USD, I would like a kind of versatile one that I can make use of now, as I said for some smaller gigging and stuff.

Reaction score
Will you be sending a feed to the PA too?

If it's just for heaing yourself onstage you can get away with a smallish keyboard combo. If you need to project your sound out into the audience you'll need more power.

Reaction score
2nd hand keyboard combo or ...

One keyboard - Mackie Thump 12A (I know you've two keyboards - just in case you can cover your gig with one).

Two or more keyboards - you'll need a little line mixer to feed a powered speaker like the Mackie as there aren't enough inputs.

Another option - a powered mixer (or mixer head) and a single speaker or a pair of speakers.

e.g. Carlsbro Cobra 1100 DSP and a 100 watt rated 8 ohm speaker.

http://www.carlsbro.com/product-view.php?id=20

The Y_man

Reaction score
At the risk of upsetting many purists on this site - IMHO a "keyboard amp" and PA is interchangeable (Generally PA for higher power output etc)

The reason I say this is because a keyboard amp should not "colour" the sound (whereas Guitar Amps you DO want specfic characteristics of the amp to colour the sound).

So it really comes down to power (how loud you need it) and how portable (will you move it often, does it need to fit in your backpack etc.

For my keyboards, I used to feed them direct to a 8 channel Roland powered mixer (150w per channel). Plenty loud enough but needed to lug that and a pair of 20 inch speakers as well....

THe Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Bit hard to say without knowing what constitues a "small" gig - eg the first would be more than adequate for where I play in church - I'd have complaints with a 20W unit!

The Y-man

Ask a Question