Back in the good(bad?) old days.....

The Y_man

Reaction score
When I started playing around with synths and was recording my own stuff, it was when 10MB (yes MB folks - not TB or GB!) was a huge hard disk on a PC.

Back then, before these new fangled arrangers and software etc, this is how I would do the recording.

Now I was on a very limited budget with all second hand gear:
  • Fostex 4 track cassette recorder,
  • Yamaha QX5 sequencer
  • Roland TR505 drum machine
  • Ensoniq ESQ1
  • Roland JX3P, later traded for a Juno106
  • Akai Sampler (can't rememebr the model)
  • Korg EX800 (rack module version of Poly 800)
First I would do the backing track typically:
  • TR505 - drums
  • EX800 - bass
  • ESQ/Juno - chords (stereo)
  • Akai - odd fills
These would be MIDI synched together through a Yamaha MIDI hub and recorded onto track 1 and 4 of the Fostex (I used 1 and 4 as track 2 towards the centre of the tape wlays came out louder than 1)

Then I would do a hand played lead or guitar on track 2 and vocals on track 3.

If you had to remix, you had to redo the whole thing!

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hahaha Yes the 'good' old days. What a job it was recording!
And memory in computers.... The Commodore 64 and the Atari with a seperate floppydrive. Say no more. What about the large floppies, as big as a pancake. When the smaller floppies came onto the market I was wondering how the heck can you get all the information on a small thing like that?:D

Reaction score
I had an Akai 4000DS 2-track open reel tape machine, and an EDP Wasp synth and a Boss DR-55 rhythm machine.
You could bounce a (mono) recording from 1-track to the other on the Akai while overdubbing a second take. After about 6 or 7 bounces you couldn't hear the first track any more, not that that stopped me adding more tracks on top!
Them were the days! ;)

Reaction score
You guys are talking "newer" technology. Anyone ever play a Farfisa organ?
Back then there were 2 track reel to reels (unless you went to a pro 8-track studio). Reverb was the standard effect back then ............All of this pre-dates the introduction of the Custom PA systems with padded column speakers....lol

Reaction score
My dad was into jazz and recording, so I grew up fooling around in the military studios that the GIs were given access to. We had two reel-to-reels in the house, one was a clunky portable suitcase model that came with two mics. I'd lug it around to record my band in high school. One of my buddy's older brother had a Farfisa, probably in the late sixties. I remember goofing around on it and him yelling at me to get away from his keyboard.

Ask a Question