Keyboard for bad hands

Reaction score
What type of keyboard might work well for an older person with arthritis in the hands, RSI like tennis elbow, etc. This would be for home use, slab type, less than 88 keys. There are no keyboard stores anywhere close to try things out. I've got an old M-Audio Radium 49 that has a terrible keyboard. I tried a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 and did not like the "diving board" keys on that.

Reaction score
Welcome.

My sympathy goes out to you, for I too have been and still am an Arthritis sufferer and a couple of years ago I made the transition from guitar to keyboard.

Controller keyboards can be very different in feel when playing but the Komplete that you have I believe have a FATAR keybeb which many like while others do not. I am assuming that a hammer action will be of no benefit to you so that points to something like a keybed with a synth type action.

Next is what do you want, arranger, workstation, synth or a combination workstation synth?

Budget, what do you have in mind?

Arrangers like the Casio CT X3000 is c$300 and the X5000 is $450 whilst a Korg PA700 is $1300

Roland Juno DS61 or Korg Kross 2 are workstation/synths at about $600

A workstation like a Roland FA06 is $1200

I suggest you check out the manufacturers videos and third party reviews

btw manuals for each are available to download

Reaction score
Budget is under $2500. I've got a list that goes from the Nord Electro 6D 61 to the Casio CT-X500. I want some decent built-in sounds but I'll probably do VSTs (Pianoteq) also.

After sounds and keyboard, I'm considering size (length). That's why I'm trying to avoid 88 key slabs.

High on my list, based on videos, reviews and manuals are: Dexibell S1/S3/P3, Korg Grandstage, Artis 7 and Roland VR730. I considered the StudioLogic SL73 but I'd rather have something more than a straight controller. I'm not locked into arranger vs workstation vs synth. I consider those to include nice to have features.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With your budget you might want to consider a Roland FA-07 or FA-06.

Diving board keys are pretty much standard these days unless you are shopping around specifically for organs with waterfall keys.

Otherwise I'd say you have most of the best options covered.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think that the best weighted keys would help. I find I need the feed back of an over-center feel.
I found that you need to to 88 key devices to get the weighted keys.

It's really to bad you can't try a few. Maybe drop into some of your local places and talk to the band.. FaceBook groups that are local? ....

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi @kmonroe99
Where on earth do you live?

Sorry to hear of the arthritis. Me too in the knuckles . .quite painful at times. Also in the shoulders and hips. Luckily it does not pain as I play the keys. Never played fully weighted keys so cannot comment on that issue. I always wonder if they (weighted keys) would pain the knuckles?
It is a pity you cannot try out.
I also take fish oil caps (1000 mg a day)
They apparently help with joint pain.

Best of luck in making the right choice of KB. But you have a healthy budget so that helps. But again many choices makes it hard.
Cheers ray

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why you have listed digital pianos as being the only type on your list?

It would help if you gave us some background on your musical experience and future requirements.

Can I also suggest that you look at some video reviews.

First on the Korg Kronos, its way over budget but for many it is the defining keyboard.

Then look at the reviews of the Yamaha Genos.

Finally the Roland FA07

These three reviews should help in deciding which path to take as they are all capable instruments but in the main for a different end use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @kmonroe99
Where on earth do you live?

Sorry to hear of the arthritis. Me too in the knuckles . .quite painful at times. Also in the shoulders and hips. Luckily it does not pain as I play the keys. Never played fully weighted keys so cannot comment on that issue. I always wonder if they (weighted keys) would pain the knuckles?
It is a pity you cannot try out.
I also take fish oil caps (1000 mg a day)
They apparently help with joint pain.

Best of luck in making the right choice of KB. But you have a healthy budget so that helps. But again many choices makes it hard.
Cheers ray
Probably somewhere like I do. 2.5 hours from a Music Go Round, and 4 hours from any other music store.

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why you have listed digital pianos as being the only type on your list?

It would help if you gave us some background on your musical experience and future requirements.

Can I also suggest that you look at some video reviews.

First on the Korg Kronos, its way over budget but for many it is the defining keyboard.

Then look at the reviews of the Yamaha Genos.

Finally the Roland FA07

These three reviews should help in deciding which path to take as they are all capable instruments but in the main for a different end use.

I have more than digital pianos on my list, and the FA-07 is one. I grew up playing acoustic piano but I haven't played any keyboard seriously for over 20 years.

My impression, strictly from videos and reviews, is that the Genos and and Kronos are certainly top of the line, not necessarily because of keyboard, but because of overall features. If I could go that high in price, I'd look at the Nord Electro HP. I'm not interested in gigging. More interested in "neo-classical" playing e.g. Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, etc. So that means layers and maybe splits if I'm just on the keyboard, or doing some of it with tracks in a DAW.

I like messing with different piano sounds, so I'm getting familiar with Pianoteq and other VST sources. Like I said it's all for home, personal hobby, therapy use.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Probably somewhere like I do. 2.5 hours from a Music Go Round, and 4 hours from any other music store.

:oops:OOPS! I responded thinking it was @kmonroe99 who answered me . . I said "weird answer!":eek:
Sorry guys :confused:

What a bummer you cannot test drive. kmonroe!
FL .. I guess is Florida. I always thought Florida was built up and populated to extreme! Never imagined there was ourskirts an hour away from anything let alone music shops!

Well I will crawl back into my cocoon.:confused:;)
Ray

Reaction score
:oops:OOPS! I responded thinking it was @kmonroe99 who answered me . . I said "weird answer!":eek:
Sorry guys :confused:

What a bummer you cannot test drive. kmonroe!
FL .. I guess is Florida. I always thought Florida was built up and populated to extreme! Never imagined there was ourskirts an hour away from anything let alone music shops!

Well I will crawl back into my cocoon.:confused:;)

Ray
:p Yeah most of it is all built up, but it may still be a cultural wasteland! Actually, a little further away, I can find some 61 key and 88 key stuff e.g. FA-08, FA-06, etc.

Reaction score
I would certainly travel to test out before I bought unless you can get a guranteed no quibble return included in your purchase.

In this little ole country of mine I do have 6 music stores within a 1/2 hour and a megastore 3/4 an hour away so I any very lucky. One large store is only 5 minutes and it is agents for
Korg, Roland, Yamaha and Nord.

Reaction score
I would certainly travel to test out before I bought unless you can get a guranteed no quibble return included in your purchase.

In this little ole country of mine I do have 6 music stores within a 1/2 hour and a megastore 3/4 an hour away so I any very lucky. One large store is only 5 minutes and it is agents for
Korg, Roland, Yamaha and Nord.

I like watching Youtube videos from Bonner Music :) I wish there was showroom like that around! Fortunately I can get good return policies from Amazon and Sweetwater.

Reaction score
Bonners do have a good reputation however I could probably fly to Miami faster than I could get from where I live to Bonners.

PMT are very big in the UK and their Youtube channel has hundreds of videos, this no nonsense straight to the point one is on the Roland FA06

Hamiltons are the store where I bought my Korg PA and they are primarily a keyboard store.

This is one of theirs on the Korg Grandstage and the guy playing the the Salesperson who I deal with

Ask a Question