Bass Keyboard!

Reaction score
I play bass lines on my Korg SV-1 with a rhodes sound on top in split board style. I currently run an incredibly difficult 4 out rig with one going to a a bass amp with all high end EQ'd out. The bass sound is really not that desirable, and barely acceptable with the band playing along. I am looking for suggestions to get a more realistic bass sound, from a keyboard. I have looked at Novation Bass Station, though I have not tried one. Anyone doing this or have an idea? Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps some sort of 2.1 satellite/subwoofer arrangement?

What sorts of venues and wattages are we talking about here?

Gary

Reaction score
We play a variety of venues, from restaurants to full on outdoor festivals. I run the SV-1 stereo through a small Mackie mixer with 250 watts per side, I run a mono out to the main board and a mono out to a bass amp. It was recently suggested that I run the direct out out from bass to main board to beef up front of house sound. I am looking for a more bass guitar sound from a keyboard. And sadly, money has a lot to do with it. I enjoyed you moog reply however!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What styles do you guys cover? Dance? Reggae? New Wave? Disco? Rock? Old standards?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I dunno how versatile the SV-1 is as a MIDI controller, but have you considered adding a synth module to your rig and using the split zone to control the Bass voices on the module?

The Ketron SD1 or Ketron SD2 or a used Triton or Motif Rack would not only give you much better bass sounds to choose from but would also open up hundreds of other new and exciting voices for you to perform with.

Plus you would be able to stick around a $500 budget ;)

Personally I have a Waldorf Blofeld Desktop Module hooked up to my rig to expand my musical vocabulary.

Rack modules are easily the cheapest and easiest way to expand your rig.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
We play original music, my wife plays guitar and is the main song writer, we have an old school dead influence. I'm just home from school and wanna view your vids, but don't have the time now. I will get back soon. Very kind of you to respond Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you get to the videos here's a couple more to look at. A couple of vintage rack modules which can be had used these days for about $500..

These may be your best value for the money for the folky rock Deadhead stuff you guys play...

Gary

Ask a Question