beginner portable keyboard for 5 year old

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a keyboard for my 5-year old child. I'm looking for something basic with minimal bells and whistles, but with a minimum of 61 keys and semi-weighted keys. When looking on websites of keyboard companies, they seldom indicated if a model is weighted or not so I'm not sure which ones are semi-weighted.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You won't find any starter keyboards with 61 weighted keys no matter how you look.

Even in pro gear, 61 keys is usually unweighted.

Pretty much all keyboards these days are velocity sensitive or "touch sensitive" though so no problem there.

If you're looking to keep it under $200 I'd advise going with a Casio. They have a better selection of models and they have come a long way with sound quality these days. They're even producing pro gear these days. They also offer better bang for the buck when compared with Yamahas in the same class.

My advice is to also avoid models with lighted keys. General consensus is that they are a gimmick with little to no real educational value.

Your child would be learning all the wrong things if he or she learned to "follow the blinking lights."

I'd recommend the Casio CT-X700 as a decent quality starter keyboard that your child would not outgrow for at least a decade.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ctx_700_ct_x700_61_key_portable_keyboard.html

This is the latest technology starter keyboard they offer unless you'd prefer to opt for a more toy like model such as the SA76.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome

I am going to suggest something totally different to Gary and one that does not have the bells and whistles that Yamaha or Casio beginner keyboards do.

When my Grandkids go on my Arranger keyboard (similar to the Yamaha and Casio models but far more sophisticated) they are not interested in learning to play, they only play with the mass of buttons and get as wierd a batch of sounds out of the system as they can, so your idea of avoiding bells and whilstles is very sound.

Roland GoKeys.

Far better quality than similar priced Casio and Yamaha models and will be good for years of use and it will be far easier to transport to a Music Tutor than the other makes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not to belittle your suggestion Col but the GoKeys costs more than 50% more than the CT-X700 and plus I don't think the extra bells and whistles are a distraction for young players but rather a way to keep them interested in the instrument far longer than simply having to hit the right keys in the right order day after day after day.

To be honest, if you really want to get your child to play proper piano style in the hopes of nurturing a young Rachmaninoff then you're better off looking on your local craigslist where at any given time there are dozens if not hundreds of acoustic pianos looking for a good home for nothing more than the cost of hiring a piano mover and a piano tuner to set it up once it arrives.

Plenty of people out there own acoustic uprights which they are willing to part with for the cost of hauling it away.

Since the child in question is 5 years old I presume he or she will not have unsupervised access to the board anyway.

After a 45 minute practice session of scales and chords, the funky sounds can be offered as a small reward to the child to allow them to cut loose a bit and have some fun.

Otherwise I fear that after a year or two of lessons the kid will become bored with the limited sounds of the GoKeys and end up relegating it to the storage closet.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Buy an Aranger and a kid will faff around dabbing in a non structured way unless they are supervised all the time.

If the interest is not there even with a 5 year old then they will loose interest very soon.

If you yourself wants to learn hown to play keys when your child is not using it or so you can both learn together then Gary’s suggestion of the X700 is a great one.

But for just a 5 year old’s use then a $50 Casio SA 76 will be more than good enough and if they then loose interest it can be donated to a local Children's Charity.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your experienced information and recommendations. I have given up the criterion of weighted keys--that will have to come later if she shows sustained interest in learning music. I am not interested in buying a toy but I do want her to enjoy the keyboard and to learn some basics of piano playing. So I like the suggestion of letting her play around with it AFTER she has done her practicing. Again, thanks.

Reaction score
That is why for kids an Arranger is not necessarily the best keyboard since they may well have the tendency like my Grandkids just to faff around creating sounds and nonsense rather than actually learning to play in a structured manner hence for kids a keyboard which only has a limited range of features may well be a better option. That is why the GoKeys could be a better option.

For others to learn then I would suggest that a Casio from the X model range or Korg EK50 will be a much better choice.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that buying an arranger will result in someone faffing around on it. I have several low-end arrangers, and I have no interest at all in faffing around with their auto accompaniments.

On the other hand, I can certainly faff around playing with my keyboards' synth-ish features-- changing the voice parameters to create new sounds, and fiddling with the arpeggios. Yep, a synth or synth-like keyboard is definitely conducive to faffing around. :)

By the way, I had to look up the meaning of "faff" before replying, so Col has taught me a new vocabulary word today!

Reaction score
My son starts to learn the piano recently, so I bought an electronic keyboard for him. The piano is OK, he likes it.

Attachments

• Electronic Keyboard.jpg
    Electronic Keyboard.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 215

Ask a Question