Keyboard recommendation for a beginner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of buying a keyboard for a couple of years now and I'm finally thinking of actually doing it. I'm a complete beginner, haven't played any other instrument either. My price range is about 250 euro and so far I've set my eyes on the Yamaha NP12. Do you think it will make a fine beginner's keyboard? Do you have a better recommendation in mind?

Feel free to ask me any questions, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Quite a task you set us.

It would help if you could advise if you want to play a piano or a keyboard as they are fundamentally different.

That said with many keyboards there is a lot of overlap in their functions.

Briefly to explain the differences in keyboards if you are not sure of what is what:-

Digital pianos are just that but not limited to a single sound.

Arrangers have plenty on musical voices and a large number of musical styles to choose from, the keyboard has a split and the song melody or accompanyment is played by one musical instrument or a combo with your right hand and your left hand plays a series of chords which initiates the choosen style being played.

Workstations are used primarily performance and on stage activities.

Sythesizers are as the name suggest and in your price range they will be on the small side.

Within your budget the NP12 is a digital piano with 10 musical voices and 61 keys.

Do have a look at reviews of Yamaha Arrangers in particular the PSR E363 and a Casio CTX (new models just announced but I am unsure of prices). There is also the Roland brand to consider and in your price range do check out both their Go Keys and Go Piano, both get great reviews and as they are made by Roland you should expect great quality.

Hope this helps get you started.

Enjoy the research and its a great activity.

Ps
Factor in your budget a keyboard stand, stool and damper pedal plus a couple of books, I suggest to you that Kenneth Bakers series Complete Keyboard Player or Complete Piano Player are a pretty good starter series.

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for your answer! I think I'm leaning towards the traditional piano fundamentals and sound, I just can't afford the real thing yet and might not even like it, who knows. I had already checked the Roland models but they're kind of out of my price range, they are 300 euro at the local store, not including a stand and other accessories. I will have a look at the PSR E363, though.

Reaction score
The Yamaha will certainly fit your requirements, they are only 180 Euro so even with stand, stool, pedal and a couple of books for c225 Euro you are all set to go.

Have a look on Youtube

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3rjqgoqj7LIeF2ABj_6W_NEoQti0effo

These are the quick start tutorials which will give you an idea of what to expect.

Your local music store should be very accomodating and you may be able to get a couple of hours tutorial included or at least at a reduced rate.

Ask a Question