Keyboard recommendation for beginner

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the board.
I have been paying on a 30 yr old Yamaha Clavinova for about 1 yr now.
Right/left coordination still an issue. :(

The Clavinova is on its last leg and since it was an inherited instrument, I really do not
wish to invest in its repair. (Assuming the part(s) are still available).

I was looking into the Yamaha PSR EW-410. It preserves the 76-key format of the Clavinova
and has more than enough bells and whistles to keep my busy for another 30 yrs.
Listened to some demo vids at YOUTUBE and the sounds seem pretty good.
700+ "voices". The old Clavinova has 16. In my readings, I came across info that
128-note polyphony is highly desirable. The EW410 has only 48 note polyphony.
Is this really a big deal for simply playing off sheet music? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the Roland Juno DS76 and DS88 and the Korg Kross 2 88.

These three are among the best bargains available in synth keyboards today.

The 88 key models have weighted hammer actions, more like a real piano.

The amount of polyphony that's desirable these days is useful when you are playing with heavy use of the sustain pedal or using layers and split keyboard settings.

Also very useful if you start using the built in rhythm and accompaniment features and arpeggiators.

Don't just trust youtube for your evaluations. Visit some keyboard shops if you can and try the feel of these keyboards out for yourself.

That's my $0.02 :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Happyrat,
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention budget! ;) Although the Roland JUNO DS-76 entry is not too far above my ceiling.
The corporate release form Roland indicates "an ideal choice for players who want to expand their musical
range with multiple sounds split across the keyboard." What exactly are 'multiple sounds split across the keyboard'?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can assign up to 16 zones across the keyboard, either split or layered or overlapping to create soundscapes of orchestral complexity and depth.

For instance, a common setup would include orchestral horns or strings layered with kettle drums on the left side of the board for accompaniment while you could assign solo piano or piano layered with flute to the right side.

The possibilities are almost endless.

The Juno is a prosumer keyboard while the Yamaha model you mentioned is more of a consumer grade keyboard. Well worth the slight increase in budget. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Happyrat,

OK. Got it. I assumed something like that as it seemed that one of the demonstrators on YOUTUBE was
commanding, ie, actually WAS, an orchestra with his left hand and playing a piano line with his right hand! :)

The possibilities do seem limited only by one's imagination and creativity.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Gary has a DS61 whilst I have a Kross2 61.

If I were now looking for another keyboard then the Juno DS 76 would be right up there at the top of my list.

61 keys are a bit restrictive when one is splitting the keyboard into zones, 76 keys would suit me perfectly.

Reaction score
Hey Happy rat!

I decided on the Yamaha ps ew410 and have been playing it ever since I received it last Oct.
New and interesting questions arose!

Would you be so kind to clarify what is the difference(s) btw/ an arranger, a synthesizer and a workstation?
You mentioned in a previous post re the JUNO DS76, which has a label as synthesizer. And the Yamaha I noted
above, which is referred to as simply a portable keyboard or in others descriptions as an arranger.
Thanks.

Reaction score
In fact there is a degree of overlap between the three types, but more so between a Synth and a Workstation.

My own Arranger has many functions of a Synth and a Workstation but it is considerably more expensive than the 410 and even then there are two more Arranger models above mine in the Korg lineup.

If you research the Yamaha Genos you will find that it to has many functions of a Synth and a Workstation but you will not see it on stage within a pro Band since Arrangers are more intended for solo and home players.

Also just because its an Arranger does not mean it cannot be used more like a Workstation. Here the UK Korg demonstrator Pete Shaw plays a Korg PA4X arranger without using auto accompanyment. BTW I have been to one of his events and he is of awesome talent.

Reaction score
In fact there is a degree of overlap between the three types, but more so between a Synth and a Workstation.

My own Arranger has many functions of a Synth and a Workstation but it is considerably more expensive than the 410 and even then there are two more Arranger models above mine in the Korg lineup.

If you research the Yamaha Genos you will find that it to has many functions of a Synth and a Workstation but you will not see it on stage within a pro Band since Arrangers are more intended for solo and home players.

Also just because its an Arranger does not mean it cannot be used more like a Workstation. Here the UK Korg demonstrator Pete Shaw plays a Korg PA4X arranger without using auto accompanyment. BTW I have been to one of his events and he is of awesome talent.

Too cool!

Yaa, I came to the conclusion that there was a great deal of overlap among the three types but the 'clearest' description I could find
indicated that an arranger has auto-accompaniment and the other two tend not.

I decided on the Yamaha 410 due to my unknown commitment at the time re dedication to a practice regime. It is an excellent
training instrument w/ sufficient bells/whistles to make training interesting. And in the event I decided that it was no longer
interesting, I'm "only" out 400$.

I tried auto-accomp for the first time yesterday and as far as I can figure, either a) I'm doing something wrong or else b) its not really that useful for me.

Reaction score
Auto accompanyment needs to be the right one for the song you are trying to play and it needs to be at the correct tempo.

So can I suggest that you look at some online tutorials specifically for your EW410 and then practice and with sone effort it will result in a pretty good sound.

That is the whole purpose of a Home type of Arranger, to make pretty good music all on your own without resorting to loops or fixed tempo downloaded or sequenced backing tracks.

With synth/workstations at home many tend to create a sequence mp3/wav file, load that onto a selector pad, repeat several times with saving to different pads then during a playback you can call up via the selector Pads the sequence to play by itself once or play it in loop mode, coupled with a preset drum track and hey presto your synth/workstation is beginning to sound like an Arranger with multi layered instruments.

For its price point the EW410 is a pretty good keyboard and it is typical Yamaha, a newbie starts on a lower E350ish and then buys another Yamaha sch as the 410.

Reaction score
Auto accompanyment needs to be the right one for the song you are trying to play and it needs to be at the correct tempo.

So can I suggest that you look at some online tutorials specifically for your EW410 and then practice and with sone effort it will result in a pretty good sound.

That is the whole purpose of a Home type of Arranger, to make pretty good music all on your own without resorting to loops or fixed tempo downloaded or sequenced backing tracks.

With synth/workstations at home many tend to create a sequence mp3/wav file, load that onto a selector pad, repeat several times with saving to different pads then during a playback you can call up via the selector Pads the sequence to play by itself once or play it in loop mode, coupled with a preset drum track and hey presto your synth/workstation is beginning to sound like an Arranger with multi layered instruments.

For its price point the EW410 is a pretty good keyboard and it is typical Yamaha, a newbie starts on a lower E350ish and then buys another Yamaha sch as the 410.
Hi,

I had been practicing on an old Yamaha Clavinova circa 1987 that I had inherited decades ago; it died about 2wks before I
decided on the 410 but was kind enuf to have indicated that it was likely on its way out for some time prior.

Sounds like a pretty good suggestion! OTOH, I may not be sufficiently mechanically advanced to truly use the auto-accomp to
reasonable effect. I do like playing w/ the different voices though! Love oboe.

But, I do enjoy playing my practice pieces.

Thank you.

Ask a Question