Midi buy confusion, help the beginner

Reaction score
Hello friends ! I am doing first steps on electronic music and want to buy a midi using it with DAWs like ableton,FL studio etc. My PC runs WIN 10 but its up to date with Intel i5 8400 , 8 GB ram, SSD drive. My soundcard is on Motherboard from Gigabyte full ASIO support from REaltek. I am confused whether I need to buy external sound card or any midi interface? For just using the midi direct with DAWs VSTs etc do I need something extra? Or just the usb midi controller? In case I need an extrenal souncard like presonus etc. how you connect the midi with the soundcard and then with the pc? silly questions , but I am confused and I don't want to waste money. thanks in advance.
By the way I m planning to buy nectar 49lx+

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You don't need an external sound card or MIDI interface to get started. The Nektar 49LX+ will connect directly to yout computer via USB, so all you'll need is a standard USB cable-- and there might be one included in the box, but if not then you might already have a spare one lying around, otherwise you can get one for very little money at stores like Wal-Mart and Target, office supply stores, computer stores, etc.

I see the Nektar 49LX+ comes with a license for Bitwig Studio, so that takes care of the need to buy a DAW. It sounds like you can take whatever money you had budgeted for an interface and a DAW and spend it on some nice soft synths! :)

Reaction score
As Michael comments you have all you possible need in your PC.

I would suggest that you research controller keyboards a bit more and you should find that others like the M Audio Oxygen actually comes with a better software bundle then the Nektar.

I have an Alesis and that came with Ableton lite.

Before you decide on what full version of DAW software you want to use can I advise that you download and check out the trial versions first. I had issues with a couple on my PC and gave up on trying to sort out the problems as it was simply not worth the lost time.

You may want to upgrade your PC speakers to a Studio Monitor type

Reaction score
Thanks guys! So what you suggest when you say “soft synths” ?

Also m audio oxygen 49 feels very cheap and I think for the price Nektar Lx+ offers something.. great value for money by the reviews I see. Alesis V49 very nice feeling though... what you suggest from your experience? I saw native instruments vst plug ins and think they are great but too much money !

I have an external sound card now line 6 ux2 but it’s for guitars. A friend gave it to me today. Think I can use it for speakers and xlr recording.

By the way what you think about the 49 midis outhere at the price 100-150?

Thanks for your time

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've owned an M-Audio Oxygen 49 in the past. It's a total piece of underpowered crap that can't render notes as quickly as you hit the keys.

I replaced mine with an Alesis QX49 which I am totally happy with.

I hear a lot of good things about Nektar as well.

As for soft synths? There are tons of them freely available on the web for downloads.

Here's a few to get you started.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/20...ee-hardware-synthesizer-clone-vstiau-plugins/

http://vst300.blogspot.ca/

And you'll need either a modern DAW program to run them or else a standalone VST Host Program. Google around for a free version.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've owned an M-Audio Oxygen 49 in the past. It's a total piece of underpowered crap that can't render notes as quickly as you hit the keys.

I replaced mine with an Alesis QX49 which I am totally happy with.

I hear a lot of good things about Nektar as well.

As for soft synths? There are tons of them freely available on the web for downloads.

Here's a few to get you started.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/20...ee-hardware-synthesizer-clone-vstiau-plugins/

http://vst300.blogspot.ca/

And you'll need either a modern DAW program to run them or else a standalone VST Host Program. Google around for a free version.

Gary ;)
so whats your thoughts on alesis v49 and vi49?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't speak from experience about the v and vi series, however the vi DOES have a true MIDI port which allows it to control hardware modules as well as computer vst's.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the QX49 and if Alesis is using the same keybed I would recommend the VI49 as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I bought the V 49 and wish I had not.

The keys need a very firm press to operate.

Mine will be making its way onto the UK fleabay site when I find a replacement under £150 any more cash than this and I might was well buy another keyboard such as the Roland Juno.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Biggles >> Check the manual. You can set the keyboard to a lighter velocity curve. if it's at the default setting that may be why you're finding it so tough to press. Try a velocity curve of 1 or 2 instead.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
lavey >>> most electronic keyboards have adjustable velocity curves, usually from 1 to 7 or 0 to 9.

This controls how hard you have to hit a key to obtain a certain volume from a note.

Usually 1 or 0 is lightest or velocity turned off like an organ keyboard while 7 or 9 is the hardest, where you need a sledgehammer to get a note.

Typically most keyboards default to the middle of the range, in this case 4 or 5.

I was explaining that Biggles should try adjusting the curve before scrapping the board.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
man I just heard the roland juno ds...this thing is awesome! but I must start with a midi and my budget is up to 200$.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you can wiggle your budget up to $400 or $500 CDN you could look around on Kijiji or Craigslist for a used Roland Juno G or Di.

That should be around the sweet spot for a used unit.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you can wiggle your budget up to $400 or $500 CDN you could look around on Kijiji or Craigslist for a used Roland Juno G or Di.

That should be around the sweet spot for a used unit.

Gary ;)
so man, you say better to buy a synth instead of a midi?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I always prefer hardware synths over software synths.

1) software synths can be buggy and crash a lot.

2) software synths have zero resale value.

3) a hardware synth can be used any time anywhere without having to sit thru a bootup and you're not chained to a computer.

4) if you have a great sound that you want to keep from a software synth you always have to worry if the next version of windows or iOS will support it or not.

In fact hardware synths are usually not OS dependent at all. You can hook up a hardware MIDI port to any OS you'd like, including Linux.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Can I use the synth like Roland you’ve mentioned before as a midi with any daw ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yes you can use pretty much any hardware synth with a MIDI port or USB MIDI port as a controller for soft synths.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
lavey >>>
Typically most keyboards default to the middle of the range, in this case 4 or 5.

I was explaining that Biggles should try adjusting the curve before scrapping the board.

Gary ;)

Tried that after I downloaded the Editor software it was on curve 6 changed it to curve 2 and its still a useless piece of cr4p.

Its the actual weight of the keys, the sheer pressure that has to be appled to move a key, its 2x as heavy as my Korg.

Yep its fleabay bound

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on whether or not you're used to playing a weighted hammer action piano style keyboard or not.

I use my Kurzwel PC3K8 as my master keyboard for recording and use the QX49 in the bedroom for practice and general inspiration when I'm watching TV or listening to music.

You might seriously find yourself in trouble if you ever end up owning a true digital piano man.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question