Best stand for MP7

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently bought a Kawai MP7 piano and I need a new stand for it as the extra stand I had lying around is just not stable enough neither is it high enough to accommodate the way I like to play it live (standing or on a high chair).

I have been looking at a few kinds of table stands from K&M but was thinking if anyone here has this kind of board and could share what they are using.

I did think about building a piano enclosure around it (similar to the white one that Matt Bellamy of MUSE has been using recently) but that is currently to cumbersome to gig with and does not give the chance of standing while playing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use the two tier version of this Z stand from OnStage for my 88 key Kurzweil and my XW-P1 on the top tier.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7350-Heavy-Folding-Keyboard/dp/B000LCRP14

51JgRH-ypsL._SL1500_.jpg

Solid as a rock, fully adjustable and tall enough to play standing up. Price is reasonable too.

Gary

Reaction score
I have always played standing up as well - and have always used double-braced x-stands. I currently own three of different brands - one of my main ones is over 20 years old. Not sure how fashionable they are but they're a) light, b) super easy to transport, c) inexpensive, d) stable and reliable.

If you play seated (even up high) I probably wouldn't recommend them though as they get in the way of your knees. Z-stands are definitely better for this purpose, and take stability to the next level, particularly if you're going double decker.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My main problem with X stands is that, especially with heavier keyboards, they wobble and vibrate under a heavy keyboard touch.

Also if you are supporting a couple of thou$$$and worth of gear the locking mechanism better be super secure else the whole bloody thing can come crashing down at the wrong moment.

Like I said, the Z stand is super solid and super stable and doesn't "dance" to the music when you really start to cook :)

The Onstage model I listed is rated for something like a 350 lb load. It will not budge under even the heaviest set of keys you can fit on it.

EDIT>>> Amazon lists a 500 lb capacity but the onstage site rates it at 375 lbs.

http://onstagestands.com/products/view/28856/116994

Gary

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's why I bought X stands that have a-- uh-- thingy to hold the left side to the right side. (Yes, it's true-- my Yamaha keyboards are sitting on Casio stands!)

http://www.casio.com/products/images/ARDX/xlarge/

I've been thinking about getting a 2-tier Z stand, but all the user reviews I've read make it hard to decide-- it seems like either the top tier is impossible to get level so the upper keyboard is lopsided, or else the top tier isn't high enough so you can't see the panel controls on the bottom keyboard!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use a couple of these stuck below my top tier to supply illumination to my lower tier.

N21GH.jpg

With the lights turned on I have no problem whatsoever viewing my Kurzweil's controls.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, one modification that I've done to my stand that I think is kind of cool is that I've mounted it on top of a universal mobile base, a device used for heavy machine equipment that allows me to roll it in and out of position effortlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Adjustable-Universal-Mobile/dp/B00002262M

It adjusts to a perfect fit and rolls like a breeze across an indoor-outdoor carpet in my basement.

Anyway, here's the Amazon link to my stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Tier-Folding-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B0002F6JH6

Gary

Reaction score
LOL now listen here you naughty blokes...

Firstly, I did say "double braced" x stands. They do not wobble - well mine certainly don't anyway. I did mention my oldest (and crappiest) one has served me reliably for over 20 years. All three of mine perform without incident, wobble or calypso-calapso! They've certainly outlasted plenty of keyboards I've owned!

Gary the videos you showed are a) hilarious, and b) not truly representative of the stands I prefer as the first video shows a single-braced x stand (never never never use these for anything except ironing), the second one is a horribly cheap-looking single-braced x stand, and the third one - who knows, but my money is on single-braced again. I do note the bloke in the background playing the double braced job is rattling along without incident however.

I know that x-stands are not "cool", but mine have travelled all over the wide brown land Terra Australis, been manhandled, abused, chucked, forgotten, and still do the job of supporting my lovely 'boards!

However I am happy to acknowledge that z-stands are superior from a design, if not portability, perspective. But I will not have the humble double-braced x-stand unfairly impugned! ;)

Paul
(defender of the x-factor)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not to worry Paul...

The lovely young men in the white coats will be coming along shortly to wrap you up in a snug jacket with extra long sleeves and give you a fistful of marvellously happy pills :D :D :D

Don't forget your tinfoil hat! :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ahhh...sweet peace...finally...blue pills...foil hat....

[curls up in a ball and slowly rocks back and forth in corner, sucking thumb, mumbling something unintelligible about double-braced, not single-braced]

Reaction score
Hahah, starting to wonder what I got myself into by signing up on this forum...o_O

But recommend the blue pills and tin foil hat. Has kept me out of the madhouse so far :p

Reaction score
Well, in the end I bought neither Z nor X (or double X :p)

I ended up ordering this one: http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-.../18810-Table-style-keyboard-stand-Omega-black

Already have one of those for the Nord C2 but was worried that it wasn't long enough to handle the Kawai. I tested it and it works well so I called my friend at a music store and ordered one. Hoping it will arrive in the beginning of next week so I can set it up in the practice room.

Reaction score
I used double X stands for years and never had any issues - still have a couple. I'm currently using an On-Stage 2 tier Z stand that I really like; it's very solid. I also have an On-Stage table stand and an old 3 tier aluminum A frame. I've never owned or used one of the delta type stands.

If I ever get another stand it will be the K&M Stands 18880 with the 2nd tier added.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hansi >>> The Omega stand looks pretty solid, but the lack of bracing around the bottom welds would worry me as a possible point of failure. Conceivably one hard push forward or backward could snap those welds with the upright posts transmitting a hell of a lot of torque leverage directly to those single welds.

The spec sheet you linked to lists a maximum load of only 50 KG. The Onstage Z has a max capacity more than 3.5 times that amount.

If I were you, I'd be very careful loading a 50 or 60 lb Kawaii onto that thing.

Personally I'll stick with my Onstage. I could literally stick a sheet of MDF on it and clamp on a vise and use it as a workbench if I had to :D :D :D

Gary

Reaction score
I have it on the K*M 18880, it is rock stable. Plus It only weighs 7 lbs, and it has accessories to add 2nd and 3rd tiers.

Reaction score
I've been using the 18810 for my Nord C2 for just over a year now and it is very stable, packs well and has served me well. The 18810 max weight is 50kg, the MP7 is only 21 kg so it is well under the limit. It arrived on tuesday and everything has been set up and looks good.

I am sure the Z stands can take more weight but as I am at the moment not using very heavy boards I like the portability of the 18810

Ask a Question