Boosting organ and synth volume for a solo

Reaction score
Hi,
Any ideas on how to boost my keys sound for solos? Would this be a volume pedal or a booster of some type, and if so are there any that can be set to a certain gain rather than relying on getting the pedal in the right position during each song?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest possibly a multi FX pedal with distortion and overdrive as a solution. On the other hand your keyboard may already be capable of doing this with an ordinary switch pedal.

What make and model keyboard?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah OK you won't find any suitable FX built into a CP300 and I own a Ferrofish B4000+ and know there is no volume control on that one either. However you can boost volume by playing with the drawbars.

My advice though, is to go with a Multi FX pedal and see if that gives you the edge you need.

I use one of these. You can set the output level to vary when it's turned on or off and you could use a sympathetic effect like delay or chorus to help cut thru the mix on the solos.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Digital-Multi-FX-Blucoil-Adapter/dp/B078T4ZM5V/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Check out a Zoom GX1ON, it is a pedal with a ton of patches built in for effects and amp modelling and it has a pedal that can easily be set up as a volume pedal.

There is also a built in Looper.

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check this all out. Gary, nothing to do with the Yamaha problem, but have you ever had your Ferrofish lose its preset setting? I set it to "made in Japan" and often after 5 or 10 mins I look down and its lost the preset!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you change the voice settings on your CP it sends a change program message to the ferrofish by default.

Check in your CP settings if you can turn off send control messages under the MIDI settings.

I agree, the Made in Japan preset is one bitching preset.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary, seeing as you seem to know about the Ferrofish, is there anything I need to change on the settings to make it talk to my Yamaha CP300 via Midi? I know I need to adjust the Yamaha settings, but the manual is as clear as mud so I may well ask this in a more specific forum or even ask Yamaha support. But I thought you might know the answer to the Ferrofish question!
As to the CP300, its a bit of a nightmare to edit, I followed the manual and succeeded in stopping any sounds at all coming out! Fortunately it has a factory reset so I escaped without a frozen piano..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The section on MIDI in the Ferrofish manual is all of two pages long.

Pages 22 and 23.

At the top of page 23 it tells you how to turn off control messages at the receiving end.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, but I am pretty new to this, and I simply don't get it! I looked at page 23 and as you rightly say there is a brief note about turning off controller messages. If I can do this its a lot simpler than configuring the Yamamah. But in idiots terms exactly what do I do? I press long (!) the setup key, ok so far.
Then I go to "D" for control. Then what? it doesnt say or am I missing something? Sorry if this sounds a bit dim!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Richard,
I once knew a Richard Hutchins from the USA who was a huge Jethro Tull and Metallica fan. We used to chat. That wouldn't be you by any chance?
Cheers ray

Reaction score
Hi Ray, no I am in the UK! But oddly enough I am a huge Jethro Tull fan, ( not Metallica so much though) and have just seen Ian Anderson at Durham Cathedral for his Christmas Concert. To hear the opening riff of Aqualung on the Cathedral Organ was something I'll never forget! A few Ian Anderson songs I cover on You Tube, ( as best I can!) like Cheap Day Return etc. He's my total hero, and the reason I play guitar and piano.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Wow! That is amazing! I have been a massive Tull fan since 1968. Bought their first album then and got sucked into IA's unique style. Bought every other LP and CD they ever made and seen them live many times as when they have toured Oz.

Anyway I have veered away from your topic. Sorry. And sorry I can't help you with it but I am sure Gary will chip in again when he gets back on line here.

Glad to know you Richard. Best of luck with your enquiry here.
Cheers ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Richard >>> Sorry man. I took the coward's way out in my case and turned off the control signals on my keyboard rather than the ferrofish. I'm not too eager to start messing around with the MIDI setup for fear of horking it up but good.

As you already know, it is somewhat of a flaky instrument.

Sorry to say you're on your own with this one. Hopefully the Yamaha people can tell you how to disable control messages on your CP.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Richard >>> Sorry man. I took the coward's way out in my case and turned off the control signals on my keyboard rather than the ferrofish. I'm not too eager to start messing around with the MIDI setup for fear of horking it up but good.

As you already know, it is somewhat of a flaky instrument.

Sorry to say you're on your own with this one. Hopefully the Yamaha people can tell you how to disable control messages on your CP.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question