Yamaha MX88 and B3 organ sound

Reaction score
Hi, recent keyboard player (still taking lessons) here :).

I recently got a Yamaha MX88, after playing a Roland GoKeys for 6 months. The MX88 is quite the package, but I haven't figured out how to get a good B3 sim out of it yet.

Can it cop it decently, or is it just not its cup of tea ?

Reaction score
Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.

Reaction score
I forgot I posted here ... sorry for the delay.

Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

Thx, sounds amazing ! I should've said in my OP that I'm looking more for a Jon Lord "beast" sound (Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers), but I get the idea on how you're achieving this. Is the Yamaha red Reface the sound module you're using ?

I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.
Thx, I've read that too. The good pedals are rather expensive, bringing them near the above-mentionned keyboard. So that's food or thought.

I have a Yamaha MX49 and yeah I would say the organs aren't good.
Seems to be the general consensus.

Reaction score
A little late chipping in here.... BUT, I Have the Mx49 & MX61... GREAT little all around "bar boards" (you cant beat them). Yes, the pianos sound a little tinny, and the organs are weak.... BUT, live sound.. the room acoustics will probably kill any good sounding patch anyway.
I have a Leslie simulator pedal.. helps... BUT I agree with above, buy a B3 module and your golden... (lots of them out there.... I think one of the BEST was the old Oberheim OB3 (made by Viscount) by the way.... the Viscount is still available)

Reaction score
Cannot agree with you at all with your .... you can’t beat them .... comment.

Compare any Yamaha keyboards at this price and the materials used in its construction are of visually cheaper quality than the competition but worst is the instrument sounds which are very inconsistent. Even at 2x the price point of all the keys I have played Yamaha arguably are not the best sounding.

Compare to similar priced Rolands and Korgs and a Yamaha is decidely the third best. Both the Roland DS and Korg Kross 2 are built better and sound vastly superior and thesevare the very models that offer far better vfm than a Yamaha imho that is.

Its Yamaha way, get punters hooked with a cheap entry model and they will stay with the brand instead of moving onto a more suitable keyboard.

Reaction score
Thx guys.
I got a Roland DS Juno 88 2 weeks ago and finally sold the Yamaha 2 days ago. Granted, Yamaaha's piano voices are in generally slightly more authentic than the Roland, but I can live with that. The Roland totally kills the organ voices, including quite a few drawbars and B3 patches. As I'm new to keys, I'm finding out I'm more organ than piano.

Reaction score
Cannot agree with you at all with your .... you can’t beat them .... comment.

Compare any Yamaha keyboards at this price and the materials used in its construction are of visually cheaper quality than the competition but worst is the instrument sounds which are very inconsistent. Even at 2x the price point of all the keys I have played Yamaha arguably are not the best sounding.

Compare to similar priced Rolands and Korgs and a Yamaha is decidely the third best. Both the Roland DS and Korg Kross 2 are built better and sound vastly superior and thesevare the very models that offer far better vfm than a Yamaha imho that is.

Its Yamaha way, get punters hooked with a cheap entry model and they will stay with the brand instead of moving onto a more suitable keyboard.
I probably should haved added "for the price point".... (I bought them "B" Stock/demo's for CHEAP) The MX is the only Yamaha I've ever owned (other than some DX sound modules)... Always been a Roland & Korg Guy in the past (still have some Roland Modules, and a Triton Extreme Korg).... But, "prestige gigs" Its the Nord & Hammond.... "Bar gigs"... (especially a smoke "friendly" bar) I drag the MX

Reaction score

Nothing to add here other than your band sounds great!

Ask a Question