Yamaha MX88 and B3 organ sound

Reaction score
Hi, recent keyboard player (still taking lessons) here :).

I recently got a Yamaha MX88, after playing a Roland GoKeys for 6 months. The MX88 is quite the package, but I haven't figured out how to get a good B3 sim out of it yet.

Can it cop it decently, or is it just not its cup of tea ?

Reaction score
Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.

Reaction score
I forgot I posted here ... sorry for the delay.

Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

Thx, sounds amazing ! I should've said in my OP that I'm looking more for a Jon Lord "beast" sound (Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers), but I get the idea on how you're achieving this. Is the Yamaha red Reface the sound module you're using ?

I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.

Thx, I've read that too. The good pedals are rather expensive, bringing them near the above-mentionned keyboard. So that's food or thought.

I have a Yamaha MX49 and yeah I would say the organs aren't good.

Seems to be the general consensus.

Reaction score
A little late chipping in here.... BUT, I Have the Mx49 & MX61... GREAT little all around "bar boards" (you cant beat them). Yes, the pianos sound a little tinny, and the organs are weak.... BUT, live sound.. the room acoustics will probably kill any good sounding patch anyway.
I have a Leslie simulator pedal.. helps... BUT I agree with above, buy a B3 module and your golden... (lots of them out there.... I think one of the BEST was the old Oberheim OB3 (made by Viscount) by the way.... the Viscount is still available)

Reaction score
Cannot agree with you at all with your .... you can’t beat them .... comment.

Compare any Yamaha keyboards at this price and the materials used in its construction are of visually cheaper quality than the competition but worst is the instrument sounds which are very inconsistent. Even at 2x the price point of all the keys I have played Yamaha arguably are not the best sounding.

Compare to similar priced Rolands and Korgs and a Yamaha is decidely the third best. Both the Roland DS and Korg Kross 2 are built better and sound vastly superior and thesevare the very models that offer far better vfm than a Yamaha imho that is.

Its Yamaha way, get punters hooked with a cheap entry model and they will stay with the brand instead of moving onto a more suitable keyboard.

Reaction score
Thx guys.
I got a Roland DS Juno 88 2 weeks ago and finally sold the Yamaha 2 days ago. Granted, Yamaaha's piano voices are in generally slightly more authentic than the Roland, but I can live with that. The Roland totally kills the organ voices, including quite a few drawbars and B3 patches. As I'm new to keys, I'm finding out I'm more organ than piano.

Reaction score
Cannot agree with you at all with your .... you can’t beat them .... comment.

Compare any Yamaha keyboards at this price and the materials used in its construction are of visually cheaper quality than the competition but worst is the instrument sounds which are very inconsistent. Even at 2x the price point of all the keys I have played Yamaha arguably are not the best sounding.

Compare to similar priced Rolands and Korgs and a Yamaha is decidely the third best. Both the Roland DS and Korg Kross 2 are built better and sound vastly superior and thesevare the very models that offer far better vfm than a Yamaha imho that is.

Its Yamaha way, get punters hooked with a cheap entry model and they will stay with the brand instead of moving onto a more suitable keyboard.
I probably should haved added "for the price point".... (I bought them "B" Stock/demo's for CHEAP) The MX is the only Yamaha I've ever owned (other than some DX sound modules)... Always been a Roland & Korg Guy in the past (still have some Roland Modules, and a Triton Extreme Korg).... But, "prestige gigs" Its the Nord & Hammond.... "Bar gigs"... (especially a smoke "friendly" bar) I drag the MX

Reaction score

Nothing to add here other than your band sounds great!

Reaction score

I’d be very interested in your suggestions regarding an organ module for my MX61. If you’re still around and familiar and willing to discuss please pm me. Thanks!

Reaction score
I’d be very interested in your suggestions regarding an organ module for my MX61. If you’re still around and familiar and willing to discuss please pm me. Thanks!
MY recommendation would be the Viscount (if you can find one)... However... Try a couple of the electronic "leslie" modules. Its amazing how it will thicken up that thin (MX) organ.. relatively cheap. I have a old Ventilator I plug in when I'm not too lazy..... (have a Korg also, its been a problem.... I quit using it long ago). Seems anything sounds good through a Leslie, and the electronic ones are getting pretty good).

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

Apologies for the newbie question, but is the Viscount a physical module as opposed to an electronic module?

Ideally I’m looking for something I can download directly into my MX61 so I can use it for live gigs in addition to recordings.

Kindly,
Allie

Reaction score
Modules are external devices. There is nothing you can download into your MX61 for this. You can get an external organ module like the VIscount that has been mention, or an external Leslie speaker emulation like the Ventilator that has been mentioned, or the least expensive way to go would be to connect your MX to your smartphone and get your organ sounds from the Vb3m app.

Reaction score
Thank you for the additional information. I know that I can create user voices for my MX61 so I suspect they can be purchased or shared. I’ll create a separate post to inquire about this in general.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There should be some MX voice packs that you can get from Yamaha Musicsoft, but you should be aware that any "new" voices which you can get for the MX are created using the sounds which are already in the MX.

As I understand it, MX voices are made up of voice "elements," or sound "elements," which are like individual samples that can be used as building blocks to create voices from. Elements can be layered together, similar to how two or more voices can be layered together; and each element can also be restricted to a specific range of notes, similar to how the keyboard can be "split" for playing two different voices. Each element can have various parameters adjusted, such as filter settings (e.g., cutoff and resonance) and envelope settings (e.g., attack and release), similar to how voices can be modified. That's my understanding, anyway; I've never delved deeply into the process. So an element is a lot like a voice, but it's more "primitive" in the sense that it's just a single sound sample and its parameters, whereas a voice is often crafted from two or more elements to achieve a greater richness and diversity of sound.

If you want to compare it to a synthesizer, a single element would be comparable to a single oscillator, whereas a synth patch frequently uses two or more oscillators to create sounds that a single oscillator cannot create all by itself, with each each oscillator having various parameters or controls that you can adjust.

You can do a great deal with these voice elements, but what you cannot do is load new samples or elements into the MX. There are mobile apps and computer soft synths that let you create even more sounds using the MX, but the actual sounds are generated by the soft synths, not by the MX itself, although the soft synth sounds can be mixed with the MX's sounds.

Reaction score
There should be some MX voice packs that you can get from Yamaha Musicsoft, but you should be aware that any "new" voices which you can get for the MX are created using the sounds which are already in the MX.

As I understand it, MX voices are made up of voice "elements," or sound "elements," which are like individual samples that can be used as building blocks to create voices from. Elements can be layered together, similar to how two or more voices can be layered together; and each element can also be restricted to a specific range of notes, similar to how the keyboard can be "split" for playing two different voices. Each element can have various parameters adjusted, such as filter settings (e.g., cutoff and resonance) and envelope settings (e.g., attack and release), similar to how voices can be modified. That's my understanding, anyway; I've never delved deeply into the process. So an element is a lot like a voice, but it's more "primitive" in the sense that it's just a single sound sample and its parameters, whereas a voice is often crafted from two or more elements to achieve a greater richness and diversity of sound.

If you want to compare it to a synthesizer, a single element would be comparable to a single oscillator, whereas a synth patch frequently uses two or more oscillators to create sounds that a single oscillator cannot create all by itself, with each each oscillator having various parameters or controls that you can adjust.

You can do a great deal with these voice elements, but what you cannot do is load new samples or elements into the MX. There are mobile apps and computer soft synths that let you create even more sounds using the MX, but the actual sounds are generated by the soft synths, not by the MX itself, although the soft synth sounds can be mixed with the MX's sounds.

Thanks so much for this information. I believe I’ve downloaded all the latest materials for my MX61 but I will double check and try to confirm that everything is up to date.

Very interesting points regarding the voices, elements and samples. I would definitely have thought it would be possible to download additional samples, so that’s a bit disappointing. I do think some of the sounds I’m search for could potentially be created by working with existing elements though, and would be very open to purchasing them if they already exist.

Kind Regards,
Allie

Reaction score
I would definitely have thought it would be possible to download additional samples, so that’s a bit disappointing.
There are more keyboards you cannot load new keyboard-playable samples into than there are ones that you can. Especially at lower prices. I don't think there's any keyboard up to the price of the MX61 that has that capability. But the "good" news so to speak is that, even if you could load new samples into it, it wouldn't get you a great organ sound, because straight sample playback is not a great way to recreate B3 organ sounds. ;-) That's why even the suggestions you have gotten here that involved adding external gear (Viscount module, Ventilator Leslie simulator, VB3m app on your smartphone) were not based on anything that used samples.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this information. I believe I’ve downloaded all the latest materials for my MX61 but I will double check and try to confirm that everything is up to date.

Very interesting points regarding the voices, elements and samples. I would definitely have thought it would be possible to download additional samples, so that’s a bit disappointing. I do think some of the sounds I’m search for could potentially be created by working with existing elements though, and would be very open to purchasing them if they already exist.

Kind Regards,
Allie

Allie,

I recently downloaded the BOMB2 (Best of motif bank, part duex). If you search for it, you can find it. Unfortunately, you have to set up an account and do a transaction, but it is free. I'm in the process of sorting through the voices now. I need a good B3 sound and I'm tempted to get one of the external modules. If you tried one, let us know how it went.

Reaction score
Allie,

I recently downloaded the BOMB2 (Best of motif bank, part duex). If you search for it, you can find it. Unfortunately, you have to set up an account and do a transaction, but it is free. I'm in the process of sorting through the voices now. I need a good B3 sound and I'm tempted to get one of the external modules. If you tried one, let us know how it went.
Update: Link below. Description from the website: "The MX Best of MOTIF Bank 2 (“BOMB 2”) is a collection of legendary MOTIF sounds converted for use in the MX series of music synthesizers."

The BOMB 2 features legendary MOTIF sounds in just ten pounds! Better still, BOMB 2 offers three volumes in a single library:​

• BOM2MX49.X5A: The MX49 volume features lead, bass, brass, strings and other sounds designed for "one-hand play" or "one-hand play, one-hand tweak"
  • BOM2MX61.X5A: The MX61 volume is optimized for playing organs, pads and strings/brass splits for the live performer needing "top keyboard" sounds in a two-keyboard rig
  • BOM2MX88.X5A: The MX88 volume has a piano focus with acoustic and electric pianos, bass/keyboard splits, piano/electric piano layers and so on
Even though each volume is optimized for a particular MX, you can use any volume in any MX.

PACK DETAILS FOR MX: 3 All-Files / 128 Performances (each)

Ask a Question