Yamaha MX88 and B3 organ sound

Reaction score
Hi, recent keyboard player (still taking lessons) here :).

I recently got a Yamaha MX88, after playing a Roland GoKeys for 6 months. The MX88 is quite the package, but I haven't figured out how to get a good B3 sim out of it yet.

Can it cop it decently, or is it just not its cup of tea ?

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

A

Advertising

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.

Reaction score
I forgot I posted here ... sorry for the delay.

Yamaha in general has never taken the time to be competitive in the leslie sim area. The organ is not the greatest either but better than the leslie. Invest in an organ module rather than search for a new keyboard. There are a lot of good ones out there. If you want to discuss, PM me. i'm using an organ sound module here, what do you think of it (3:20 mark)?

Thx, sounds amazing ! I should've said in my OP that I'm looking more for a Jon Lord "beast" sound (Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers), but I get the idea on how you're achieving this. Is the Yamaha red Reface the sound module you're using ?

I agree about getting a good B3 virtual instrument or hardware sound module; I've got two or three big-name B3 plug-ins (e.g., Arturia and AIR Music Tech), plus a few free ones. But as far as using your Yamaha, I've read posts in Yamaha-centric forums from some Genos, Tyros, and PSR-S owners who say that getting a good effects pedal to run the keyboard through can give a really good overdriven organ with rotary speaker effect.
Thx, I've read that too. The good pedals are rather expensive, bringing them near the above-mentionned keyboard. So that's food or thought.

I have a Yamaha MX49 and yeah I would say the organs aren't good.
Seems to be the general consensus.

A

Advertising

Ask a Question