Buying New Keyboard

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vivi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi

Hi,

Following points i need your valuable reviews and advise:
    1. I am planning to buy a new keyboard which is suitable to performing live in stage with Indian and Western Tones & Rhythms.
    2. I need to know which keyboards are best Roland, Korg or Yamaha.

Thanks,
    Vivi

Vivi, Aug 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Vivi

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

What's your budget?

What sorts of songs do you want to perform?

They're all the top brands in the industry. Be more specific. Mention some model numbers.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Aug 7, 2017
    CowboyNQ likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Vivi

cpcohen1945

You'll have to find out which keyboards support Indian scales, or "user-specified" scales. I know that Yamaha has some specific "Arabic models", but I don't know about Indian scales.

I don't know any keyboard that gives a good selection of Indian rhythms. As an example, take a look at the rhythm list for the Casio PX-350 -- see if it has what you need. It is in the PX-350M "User Manual", appendix A-5. You can get it from the Casio.com website -- follow the "Support" link.

Gary's questions are good ones -- How much do you want to spend, and what do you want to do?

. . . Do you need built-in loudspeakers, or will you have an amplifier and PA speakers?

. . . How many keys do you need? I think the minimum for 2-handed playing should be 61 (5 octaves).

. . . What kind of music will you be playing? Traditional harmonium, or Indo-pop, or Western pop / jazz / classical?

. . . Do you play a keyboard now? What kind?

Thanks -

. Charles

. . .

cpcohen1945, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Vivi

Vivi

Hey Gary and Charles, thanks for the reply.

Elaborating on my queries,

I wanted to play it in Church and on live stage.
    My budget is $649 or 40K INR.
    builtin speakers
    Need to know amongs these Models Roland XPS10 or BK3 or Korg PA300. Or if you can suggest that can help.
    I am looking for 61 keys 5 Octave keyboard.
    Mostly, i would like to play Indian Style and songs.
    Yahama PSR 395.

Vivi, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Vivi

Vivi

I have Yahama PSR 395 currently.

Vivi, Aug 8, 2017
  6. Vivi

Rayblewit Love Music / Love Life

This the one for you . . PSR i455
    Since you are familiar with Yamaha

:)ray

Rayblewit, Aug 8, 2017
  7. Vivi

cpcohen1945

Aha -- what you are looking for is called an "arranger keyboard". Korg, Yamaha, Roland are all good brands.

I think the PSR 395 is _really_ old -- 20 years? There has been a lot of progress in electronics, since then.

I've been reading the Roland BK-3 manual. It has two features I would really want, if I were in your place:

a) You can modify the pitches of _every note_ in the 12-note scale -- C, C#, D, etc. So playing "Indian tunings" (that is, raga scales) is possible.

b) You can create your own "rhythms" (both drum rhythms, and chord-accompaniment patterns), if you need them.

And it seems that Roland "customizes" it for different markets, so there might be enough Indian rhythms built-in to satisfy you.

The built-in amps and loudspeakers are weak; you might want a PA system. That depends on how large your audience is, and what other musicians you are playing with. (Any light-weight keyboard has this problem; it is not special to Roland.)

I'll look at the Korg PA300 tonight.

. Charles

cpcohen1945, Aug 8, 2017
  8. Vivi

cpcohen1945

Google of "indian arranger keyboard" gives several hits, including this 2012 thread on this forum:

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/yamaha-psr-i455.24350/

There are also many YouTube videos.

. Charles

PS -- edit -- the Roland E09-IN (the India-only version of the Roland E09) might be worth looking at. Several reviews say that it has more "Indian content" than the PSR i455.

PPS - I usually don't comment on keyboards that I haven't played myself. I've been talking too much, here.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    cpcohen1945, Aug 9, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question