casio 6200 or yamaha 433

Reaction score
Hi everybody, just dug my old yamaha psr 3, out and started to plonk away after many years,now I am in the market to upgrade. My question is which of the two above in the heading would you choose. On paper the Casio seems better in some ways, it has 48 polyphony compared with 32 for the yamaha, The yamaha has 2.5 watts p/ch output while the casio has 6 watts per ch. But maybe there are a whole lot of other considerations, that you could bring to my attention, any help would be appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're asking us if you'd prefer a chocolate souffle or a baked alaska for dessert.

The truth is that you'll have to audition them both in person and let your own ears be the judge.

Gary

Reaction score
Sorry I asked, I was just hoping for some positive feedback,does,nt look if I am going to get any here.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry you didn't like my answer, but a musical instrument is a very subjective thing. You're asking other people to make a judgment call on which one you'll enjoy listening to more.

I don't know you from Adam. I don't know your musical tastes or what kind of music you will be attempting to play.

They're both fairly equivalent machines with pros and cons regarding each.

Why not listen to a few youtube clips to help you decide which one you prefer?

We cannot and will not make your decision for you.

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my first keyboard and have spent a fair amount of time checking out everything available that might suit my needs. A big thing for me was the feel of the keys. There are a few keyboards that I really feel connected to, and many that I don't. I personally might sacrifice some features/functionality for a machine that felt better to play.

I know I would not max out the 32 note polyphony any time soon.

I also found that the shape and configuration of the speaker really affects the sound. There are some nice sounding mid-range Yamahas that I played with, that sound a lot better (unplugged) from the next models up. This is due to the mid-range having a nice round component speaker. The next model up had little oval speakers that I think sounded like garbage.

I read a ton about what keyboard to buy, and see the same response over and over: get the one that feels right. I was hoping to shorten the process by asking questions and learning about machines. In the end, I am learning that the one that feels best to me is the one to get.

The best thing you can do is think about what you need the keyboard to do for you, download the manuals to see how to work the functions you like, then go to the stores and try them out. It is nice knowing generally how to operate the machine before actually playing one - when I head to the stores, I know what it is I'm trying to do, and can pretty quickly start to work the machine and see if it fits my needs.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi everybody, just dug my old yamaha psr 3, out and started to plonk away after many years,now I am in the market to upgrade. My question is which of the two above in the heading would you choose. On paper the Casio seems better in some ways, it has 48 polyphony compared with 32 for the yamaha, The yamaha has 2.5 watts p/ch output while the casio has 6 watts per ch. But maybe there are a whole lot of other considerations, that you could bring to my attention, any help would be appreciated.

I ended up buying a Casio based on the specs - but in hindsight, there are major issues as those above have written that can't be expressed on paper.

- Sound quality - no point having massive polyphony when auto-harmoniser on 4 key close sounds like .... well just not good...
- pattern/intro/variation transitions (eg my old Yammy could go to a variation with a fill in - not so the casio)
- availability of extra patterns (Plenty of yammy style files on net, not so Casio rhythm files)

The Y-man

Ask a Question