Casio CDP-220r Layering

Reaction score
I just acquired a Casio CDP 220r keyboard and am pretty pleased over all -- especially given what I paid. I am struggling, though, with useful layering. I want to change the volume balance between the two tones I've layered and can't find how to do that. Is it not possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just an OldDude . . .

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, OldDude, from another old dude!

Huh, looking at the CDP-220R's manual, I can't see any functions for setting the relative volumes of the main, layer, and split tones, so it appears that there's no way to modify the volume balance between those tones-- at least, not on the keyboard.

Offhand, the only thing that comes to mind is that you could try connecting the CDP-220R to a computer and use a DAW to send MIDI messages to set the Channel Volume for the desired channels-- channel 1 for the main tone, channel 2 for the layer tone, and channel 3 for the split tone. If the keyboard's panel settings don't respond to incoming MIDI signals-- e.g., if sending a Program Change on channel 1 to select a different main tone doesn't actually cause the keyboard to play with a different tone-- then you'll need to set the keyboard's local control to "off" and have the DAW bounce the keyboard's MIDI messages back to the keyboard.

That actually isn't as difficult as it might sound, and would open up some other possibilities as well-- e.g., layering more than two tones together, or creating more than two split areas-- but I don't know how convenient it would be for you to have the keyboard connected to your computer while you're playing it. If it wouldn't be feasible, then you're stuck with whatever functions and controls are built into the keyboard.

Reaction score
Guess I'm kind of stuck, then. This keyboard is just something I picked up for weekly jams with some friends at a local rehearsal hall. I play both guitar and keys with them. But my home keyboard is a Kronos . . . not so portable for an old coot with a sedan. I've been using the bass player's little 61-key Radio Shack plastic wonder. This is my attempt to have a better sound and still be relatively portable. I just found the equal volume layering a little annoying, sound-wise. But this Casio's pianos, EPs and organs sound waaaaay better than what I've been using. So . . . it's all good.

Thank you very much for the quick reply and very good suggestion. I just don't want to put that much effort into it. Nor do I want to have more to carry to the jams (i.e., a portable computer).

Ask a Question