Casio CDP 220R - transfer music to PC

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a total beginner in this, please help.
I need to get my recorded song from my piano to my PC, in order to be able to work with the music further (in Ardour or a similar software). I followed the instructions in the manual - according to page 67 I should download Casio Data Manager. I did. When I record a song and transfer it to the software, it is downloaded in a strange "format": SP7. To be able to work with the music in Ardour I need i different format - wav, preferably.
The same happens when I use the guide for saving the song to SD card - the song is in SP7 format.

Please, help. Thank you very much...

Reaction score
Welcome.

SP7 is not an audio file it is an instruction set.

Try following the instructions in the manuals to connect up and output your keyboard to a PC and use software on the PC to record your performance.

Reaction score
That's the problem - I am following the instructions, but it doesn't work.
1.) When I use the Casio software, all I get is SP7 (manual, p. 67).
2.) When I connect the keyboard to my PC, nothing happens. When I open Ardour, Casio is not among the options available as neither input nor output device. (manual, p. 64)

Maybe I should use other software for editing and mixing music? Which one? (Something free, I am a beginner...)

Reaction score
1) what you see is correct, your Casio does nit record mp3, WAV files or any other audio file it just records data, the data is precisely what your play etc.

2) your PC should see the keyboard first, I hope you installed the Casio Dara Manager before you connected and powered up the keyboard, if you did not then Windows will have installed generic drivers.

Can you connect up your powered off keyboard to your PC, power it up and then go into the Windows Control Panel and open Device Manager where the Casio should be listed. Click on it to select then open its properties and click on the drivers tab. The driver should be Casio named if its Windows named you need to update the driver by manually pointing the system to the location of the Casio driver which should be in the folder containing the Casio Data Manager.

Come back and let us know how you get on.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you want to transfer the audio or the MIDI from your keyboard to the PC?

They each use entirely different connections and software to do so.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Do you want to transfer the audio or the MIDI from your keyboard to the PC?

They each use entirely different connections and software to do so.

Gary ;)
To be sure if understand you correctly: you say that what I want is impossible?
To be honest, this comment didn't help.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No it's not impossible, but if all you want to do is make an audio recording to your computer (ie. WAV) then you need an audio cable to connect your keyboard's line out (or headphone jack if you have no other option) to the line in on your computer's sound card.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
1) what you see is correct, your Casio does nit record mp3, WAV files or any other audio file it just records data, the data is precisely what your play etc.

2) your PC should see the keyboard first, I hope you installed the Casio Dara Manager before you connected and powered up the keyboard, if you did not then Windows will have installed generic drivers.

Can you connect up your powered off keyboard to your PC, power it up and then go into the Windows Control Panel and open Device Manager where the Casio should be listed. Click on it to select then open its properties and click on the drivers tab. The driver should be Casio named if its Windows named you need to update the driver by manually pointing the system to the location of the Casio driver which should be in the folder containing the Casio Data Manager.

Come back and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your advice.
I followed your guide till the moment of updating the driver - I did it, but then Windows told me that the best possible driver is already installed. And there was no possibility to change that.
So I chose the option "delete the driver (only for advanced users)". After that I opened the Casio Data Manager, connected the keyboard, but now the keyboard is not visible here (even though it's on and connected).

Update: I turned everything off and on again and now the keyboard is visible in Casio Data Manager.
What now?

Reaction score
No it's not impossible, but if all you want to do is make an audio recording to your computer (ie. WAV) then you need an audio cable to connect your keyboard's line out (or headphone jack if you have no other option) to the line in on your computer's sound card.

Gary ;)

Sorry to be so vain, but I am a TOTAL beginner and I would probably need an explanation in a form of pictures... (I am really bad).
My friend is looking over my shoulder and he says: "I think that this is not possible because in your PC the sound card is integrated.")

Reaction score
Run Windows uninstaller to remove Casio Data Manager.

Download it again and extract the downloaded Zip file to a location you know.

Look in the location and you should see a folder named Driver.

Plug in to the PC the Casio and power it on.

Windows should then see the keyboard and start to search fir a driver, take over the search and navigate Windows installer to the folder above.

Windows should then install the correct driver.

Do follow the instructions that are available to download from the Casio website.

If this fails I suggest you contact Casio support and they should walk you through the installation.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually all Casios built in the past 9 or 10 years have been class compliant and don't need a driver.

http://arch.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/contemporary/cdp220r/spec/

The driver is already built into windows. The CDP-220R is a currentt model and hence class compliant.

The only driverrs on Casio's website are for legacy products like ancient CTK models. Installing those on a modern system could very well f*** up your windows.

Here's a whole bunch of tutorials on how to use it properly and interface with computers. I'd suggest watchingg a dozen of them or so.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=casio+cdp+220r+tutorial

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To reinstall the Windows Class Compliant MIDI driver for the CDP I'd suggest opening up the control panel, add new device or hardware, then select sound card and let windows try to detect it again.

Not 100% sure if this will work or not but it may be your only shot.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question